MRJ 246

Not Jeremy

Wasn't there late afternoon, either.

I could get a complex, but only if I replace those I have already. :)

(Yeah, I know I could subscribe, but buying from the local newsagent's shop helps keep local businesses going.)

Simon, to quote yourself, it was only due out yesterday.....

Found a copy in a Smiffs yesterday, Tollesbury Quay is just exquisite and a layout I'd not seen or heard about before. I keep looking at the photos trying to make out the join between the model and the sky!

Better luck today.

Cheers,

Andrew

A first for MRJ!  I'm sure all subscribers will be delighted with the free DVD which accompanied No.246, and which I found in the familiar buff envelope when it arrived today.

I believe though, that in a reverse from the usual system operating in Smiff's etc., non-subscribers will NOT get the DVD as MRJ have no means of plastic wrapping magazines for retail distribution.  

Non- subscribers may wish to contact MRJ by email, and see if the DVD is available direct from them...

A first for MRJ!  I'm sure all subscribers will be delighted with the free DVD which accompanied No.246, and which I found in the familiar buff envelope when it arrived today.

I believe though, that in a reverse from the usual system operating in Smiff's etc., non-subscribers will NOT get the DVD as MRJ have no means of plastic wrapping magazines for retail distribution.  

Non- subscribers may wish to contact MRJ by email, and see if the DVD is available direct from them...

You're not fooling anyone with that!

What mirth.

Although a DVD would have been a risible accompaniment to the "Beginner's Guide To Building A Chassis" in issue 245.

No sign of it in the Wimbledon WHSmiths - my usual stockist...

Hmmm.... but then, no sign of the Wimbledon WHSmiths either - it got closed down to make way for another Metro Bank  :cry: ... looks like I'll have to order mine by post from now on!

• RMweb Gold

Tollesbury Quay is a superb piece of work, and the accompanying article is not only well written but instructive too - a hat trick not often achieved in MRJ or any other publication

• Administrators

What's there is very nice and the workmanship is terrific, but it all looks so sterile at the moment to me. Surely there should be some clutter under those sail lofts?

As the intro says, the layout is still "under gestation" and I hope there is a re-visit in a couple of years. For the minute I enjoyed the article which is unusually full of clever ideas.

Certainly enjoyed the Tollesbury article an area I know fairly well having sailed there several times. It certainly has that Blackwater atmosphere. However a smuch as I like close ups and eye level shots I thought the article was long enough to have included a couple of Brian Monaghan type shots of the whole layout, particularly as there are three photos of the photographer and his wife on the seawall.

Smiths in Nottingham Victoria Centre have it. We can tick that one off the 'have they got the latest MRJ?' list. 

I rather liked Metropolitan Junction, especially the model of the J tank (although I'm sure it would never have pulled Bulleid coaches in that livery). I'm definitely in the group of people who've never previously encountered Metropolitan Junction, so that was an interesting read. I've not read the Tollesbury Quay article yet, although some of the photos make me think of M R James ghost stories set in East Anglia......

• RMweb Premium

I got mine from Smiths Newtown (the one with the Smiths Museum) on Saturday. It may have been in earlier but I was occupied on Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday there were still four copies of no 245 (ominous as they usually nearly all go) and the woman behind the counter said that that day they had been told to take it off the shelf.

Anyway, I am still drooling over the Tollesbury Quay layout. Brilliant photos, good text with lots of useful ideas AND a trackplan. What more could one ask?

And I am also still trying to spot the join between the scenery and the backscene, even though the author tells us almost exactly where it is. Brilliant.

I am not sure whether the tide really does come in as th author mentions thinking about the idea but if he does describe it I haven't got that far yet. With so many joint between fairly small boards it would be a brave man . . .

It suddenly dawned on me that ti is really a very small layout, yet it has an incredible spaciousness. Possibly not achievable on my Sarn layout which has serious contours. But in real terms it is not much bigger.

I didn't feel that the layout was sterile. There are lots of little features, such as the poster boards, one with a posted that has been torn off and another where the poster is coming away.. And I suspect that anything dumped under the sail lofts would blow away in the first storm.

The article on Metropolitan Junction is also intereesting - and has a track plan. Another layout where there is a feeling of spaciousness in a pretty small area, though a very different style. And done just after the War!

I'm not so sure about the article on building a wagon kit. I am not convinced that etched metal is the best material for wagons as one needs solidity for sides, solebars, headstocks etc which brass can't easily give. But the end results look stunning.

And I haven't read the rest, other than SSF and Letters.

But worth the short wait for it to arrive.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Smiths in Nottingham Victoria Centre have it. We can tick that one off the 'have they got the latest MRJ?' list. 

I rather liked Metropolitan Junction, especially the model of the J tank (although I'm sure it would never have pulled Bulleid coaches in that livery). I'm definitely in the group of people who've never previously encountered Metropolitan Junction, so that was an interesting read. I've not read the Tollesbury Quay article yet, although some of the photos make me think of M R James ghost stories set in East Anglia......

Not appeared in the Nottingham suburbs, (Beeston), as of this morning, so I've decided that the chances of it appearing in Benidorm next week are phenomenally thin, I think a subscription is called for.

Mike.

I don't know what the circulation is, or what the readership demographics are, but both my local newsagents have stopped stocking it, meaning a trip to Plymouth now.

I did ask, could they get on for me, but was told it just wasn't worth it as they have noticed a decline in the sale of Railway mags over the last 18 months or so.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not surprised; the four mainstream mags were getting very samey and repetitive. I bought three regularly and one occasionally but have now given up. I found I was just skimming through them. I will only get one now if it has a how-to article on something relevant to my needs. I get MRJ to appreciate the finer arts of modelling.

I'm not so sure about the article on building a wagon kit. I am not convinced that etched metal is the best material for wagons as one needs solidity for sides, solebars, headstocks etc which brass can't easily give. But the end results look stunning.

Jonathan

Since I wrote the piece and built the wagon, I would quibble slightly. The body is adapted from Parkside mouldings (that'll be in part 2). I would have made this clearer in the text, but it was intended as a single piece that has been split.

Generally, I'd agree that etched brass is not ideally suited to representing the wooden elements if traditional wagons - and that includes wooden frames and headstocks. On the model in question that's what's been used - but the brass used for the chassis is roughly scale thickness (actually, the visible edges of the solebars are a bit thicker than scale). I think we've become conditioned to viewing overthick plastic w irons as 'normal' in 4mm. The brass is certainly more robust!

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Smiths in Nottingham Victoria Centre have it.

Perhaps what we need is something like an RMWeb poll, where every branch of WHS is listed, and each branch gets ticked off on the list when each issue of MRJ arrives in stock. That way we could build up a comprehensive picture of Cygnet-WHS distribution logistics and the lucky few may be able to target the most efficient branch and thus get their copy that vital day or so earlier.

Relying on their ever vigilant members, the girls at RMWeb Issue Command plot the appearance of that devilishly sneaky publication, MRJ.

Tally Ho chaps, MRJ at WHS West Ealing!

post-6861-0-38476300-1459776919.jpeg

Archived