MRJ 246

Not Jeremy

The really interesting feature of Metropolitan Junction, not mentioned in this article (but it may perhaps feature in Part 2) is that all the points were actually operated by working point rodding - not under-baseboard, but the more-or-less scale point rodding seen in the photos of the layout.  D.A.Williams explained the installation of this rodding in an article in the Constructor in the early 1950s.

I made a brief mention of it in the text that I submitted. You can see the point rodding clearly in the photo on page 85. The "motor boxes" by each point contains a home made switch for point polarity. An early Frog Juicer perhaps?

Pete,

Here is some of the locos from MJ being admired by Gerry Bixley back in January. Note that he is paying particular attention to a Brighton Loco.

post-4587-0-52936900-1459974976_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-53168400-1459975009_thumb.jpg

And from ExpoEM 2013. Roger Sawyer is rather taken by the 4-sub. (I have attached photos of that particular model in the cardboard modelling section)

post-4587-0-80904400-1459975221_thumb.jpg

And finally a close up of Lord Howe taken the same day having just been restored by Richard Stevenson.post-4587-0-82981700-1459975400_thumb.jpg

Andy

Hmmm perhaps I should start a MJ thread in layouts.

Here is some of the locos from MJ being admired by Gerry Bixley back in January. Note that he is paying particular attention to a Brighton Loco.

attachicon.gifIMG_3355.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3356.JPG

Thank you - that's a rather nice selection of locos (including not one but two J class 0-6-4T). Lord Howe is growing on me as well, it looks a lot better proportioned than the standard Lord Nelson. 

No, nothing like one. Frog juicers detect a short circuit in the 2-rail feed and reverse the crossing polarity to correct it to suit the train and the circuit is independent of the throwing of the points. What you have described is an electrical switch operating with the throwing of the points.

It was a tounge in cheek comment, but that is the  best description I have heard as to what a frog juicer does.

Andy

No, nothing like one. Frog juicers detect a short circuit in the 2-rail feed and reverse the crossing polarity to correct it to suit the train and the circuit is independent of the throwing of the points. What you have described is an electrical switch operating with the throwing of the points.

Please excuse my ignorance here *, but is this reversal done quickly enough to avoid blowing a DCC chip?   :scratchhead:

* Just about to start learning all about how to rewire a DC layout to DCC, but realised I've forgotten all I ever knew about point frog switching even with DC!  There are so many threads on the DCC part of the forum I can't figure out which ones to start with to get me out of the starting blocks!!!

Thank you - that's a rather nice selection of locos (including not one but two J class 0-6-4T). Lord Howe is growing on me as well, it looks a lot better proportioned than the standard Lord Nelson. 

I believe that this type of firebox was a trial and only used on this loco. It is a hansom loco and looks very clean without the Belpair firebox. I think it shows a similarity to the Gresley pacifics. Perhaps someone will shed more light onto this.

By the way, have another look at the photo above, especially below the footplate. I will explain more in part 2 of the article. (How's that for a teaser?)

The really interesting feature of Metropolitan Junction, not mentioned in this article (but it may perhaps feature in Part 2) is that all the points were actually operated by working point rodding - not under-baseboard, but the more-or-less scale point rodding seen in the photos of the layout.  D.A.Williams explained the installation of this rodding in an article in the Constructor in the early 1950s.

I made a brief mention of it in the text that I submitted.

But sadly edited out. I have just got the draft for the next edition for corrections and captions.

I will try to add it back in somehow as I think it is worth a mention.

Andy

By the way, have another look at the photo above, especially below the footplate. I will explain more in part 2 of the article. (How's that for a teaser?)

I'm intrigued now. I can see some slightly odd looking wire pickups, and what look like turned down Romford driving wheels (assuming they aren't modern replacements). 

I'm intrigued now. I can see some slightly odd looking wire pickups, and what look like turned down Romford driving wheels (assuming they aren't modern replacements). 

The Romfords are replacements, the old wheels were worn out well they had been running for 50 years. I think the wire pickups you are referring too are the sandpipes.

No what you are looking for is very common place today, but in the 1950s, well it just wasn't the way things were done. (I am bursting to say, but shall hold back until either someone spots it or the MRJ 247 thread has confirmed that the Ealing WHS now has its shelves filled to bursting with MRJs).

Andy

I have just had a message from Richard Stevenson that I shall relay,.

I see that someone has commented on the wheels on the MRJ 246 topic. I had better explain the replacements. I managed to collect together a replacement set of old style Romford wheels, probably not as old as the originals, but with the same finer spokes. The insulated wheels already had reduced flanges. I wanted to get nickel silver tyres onto the non insulated side to improve pickup. This was done by turning down the Mazac non-insulated wheels and force fitting tyres taken from some scrap wheels, scrapped because of poorly fitted (not be me) crank pins. The tyres were reduced slightly in width, but not even close to the scale thickness of the originals because the older MJ point work has slightly wide crossing flange ways. The Mazac bogie wheels were replaced with Ultrascales, fitted with shorting straps on one side.

The J1 4-6-2T will get similar treatment at some stage. The Romford motor in this loco has a failed armature winding and the tyres on the insulated wheels are loose.

Richard

A vintage issue!  Totally overawed by Tollesbury which to me is so evocative of the area. A brilliant piece of work. Also greatly enjoyed MJ and was pleased to learn it still is in existence. It was always a source of interest in the old MRN days. One of the best issues of recent times. Well done to those involved

Martin Long

Best issue for a long time. Tollesbury Quay is bloody fantastic, both in concept and execution. I do like articles that explain the builder's process of developing the composition of their layout,much more interesting than just talking about track plans. All the other articles hit the spot too.

• RMweb Premium

This is my first copy. I've flicked through other people's copies from time to time, but this is the first time I've had the chance to sit down and digest whole articles and indeed a whole issue. I took out a postal subscription with this issue - I rather think I've landed on my feet. Very good indeed.

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard has confirmed that they are odd looking wire pickups. He has just replaced them.

See you all at Bracknell. Come and say hello.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Archived