• RMweb Premium

I was expecting an ED to look roughly like the ones in here http://www.semgonline.com/electric/EDL.pdf , but then us Southern Chaps always were fifty years ahead of the rest of the railways.

K

Now they're 50 years behind persisting with 3rd rail...............(and industrial relations, but that's a whole new can of worms)

:jester:

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Probably a distraction here, but 660/750V DC to third-rail is a much maligned technology, until people do the maths carefully ......... You will not notice NR rushing about all over the place to replace it with 25kV, because the all-in lifetime cost balance between the two systems for many routes in the South is pretty fine.

I won't comment on The Other Subject, for fear of offending one side, the other, or both!

K

• Like 1

Urgh on the pink lines, I was expecting exactly the same livery as the 68s.

What is it these days with rail operators and their obsessions with pink lines/swooshes?!  I mean, come on... PINK  of all colours?!!  Bleeeurrrgh!! 

Edited by YesTor

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rumours surfacing that 88002 is aboard ship and due into Southampton tomorrow.

We shall see!

Cheers,

Mick

edit: turned out that it was 88003 on board, but that had been off loaded at Bremerhaven the day before............

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just seen 88002 parked up at Jnc 16 on the M6.....7.30 tonight.

I didn't even know it was in the country, imagine my shock.

I told Big Jim who shot off to get a look as he lives in Crewe, but it had already gone on its way north by 8.30pm

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

luckily i spotted it had gone north on WNXX so i didnt bother heading out of town when i got back from derby on the train earlier, typical though, had i gone to work in the van this afternoon i'd have passed the roundabout while it was parked up there and i had my proper camera and tripod in the van!

Why is 88002 the first?

Where is 88001?

88001 is probably still in the Czech Republic doing tests in the test track there.

Simon

88001 returned to Spain several months back.

It was last seen in the factory yard, just a couple of weeks ago.

It's not unusual for the first example to delivered later than later builds, after undergoing testing.

Any modifications or tweaking required after testing would probably have already been carried out, or started, on the locos on the production line, before the test loco returned to the factory.

It's been reported that most of the 88's in the factory yard, have had their bogies removed for several weeks, which suggests some modification work has been taking place.

There might also be a need to remove test equipment, before the test loco (88001) can be prepared for delivery.

Edited by Oakydoke

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ta to a well known railway info forum.

88001/3/4/5/8 should be on board this.

Due Workington on the 28th Feb

Is there still usable connected trackwork in Workington docks or do they need moving elsewhere first to get on the rails?

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

Is there still usable connected trackwork in Workington docks or do they need moving elsewhere first to get on the rails?

Unless they've lifted it in the last couple of years.... Most of the 68s were delivered via Workington Docks.

Cheers,

Mick