3D Printed Trains - Victorian Vlocity, Sydney Waratah, SNCF TGV - EDITED

Hi all, it's been a while!

I've decided to consolidate all my models into this one thread, with the latest photos of where my models are at. Please enjoy!

V/Line V/Locity (Victoria Australia)

Modelled in Rhino3D and printed by Shapeways in FUD. First I did a primer layer using Tamiya Fine Grey and then painted with Mr Hobby Acrylics. I've tried enamels in the past but acrylics apply more evenly, dries quicker and cleans easily - far superior. Decals were printed onto decal paper, which I then sprayed over with acrylic gloss to make them transparent, then glued with a 50/50 PVA and water mixture. The windscreen is also FUD sprayed liberally with Acylic Gloss . 

160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_01_zpshsb6aigv.          160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_08_zps0air5sig.

160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_02_zps77prn0cb.          160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_03_zpsud7qgsuh.

The models are designed to fit a working Tomytec N scale Scharfenburg coupler so two sets can be coupled together like they are in real life. 

Vlocity_Shapeways_6_zpsbr8o6b1g.jpg          Vlocity_Shapeways_3_zpsucnchyee.jpg

I designed the chassis to fit the motor and bogies from a Tomytec TM04 chassis. I wasn't able to salvage the copper contacts so I had to wire them up but the motor works just the same. The dummy bogies are of my own design, and are a combination of in-built rotating mounts in the chassis and FUD bogies designed to fit Kato metal wheels. 

160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_04_zpsccmj8l2n.          160328_Vlocity_Shapeways_05_zpsosb22jhs.

Sydney Trains A-Set Waratah (NSW Australia)

Printed in FUD; I haven't had a chance to paint them yet so here they are in the Grey Primer. 

160328_Waratah%20Shapeways_02_zpscdjnnhj   160328_Waratah%20Shapeways_01_zps1khba8x

This time, I've used the Transparent Detail from Shapeways for the glazing. They fit into the window slots in the FUD shell. Because the bogies are concealed in the body, I was able to make the rotating bogies and chassis as one printed object. 

160328_Waratah%20Shapeways_03_zpsroth3dn   160328_Waratah%20Shapeways_04_zpsxulmmlj

SNCF TGV Duplex Locomotive/Motrice (France)

This model was designed before Kato announced the date for the re-release of their Duplex set, so while I finished the locomotive and was quite advanced with the carriages I decided to shelve this project. This one was printed in Frosted Extreme Detail which has better detail than FUD but I think with the price difference FED is barely justified - almost 175% of the price of FUD with only slightly more detail. 

160328_TGV%20Motrice_Shapeways_03_zpskcn   160328_TGV%20Motrice_Shapeways_06_zpsdeq

The motorised Chassis - Tomytec TM08 - can be fitted without modification to the 3D printed subframe which then goes into the shell. Pantographs are from Kato.

TGV%20Motrice_Shapeways_4_zpsltelibt2.jp   160328_TGV%20Motrice_Shapeways_01_zpswfj

I designed this locomotive with a removeable nose cone and couplers so that two locomotives could be joined - this was before I knew Kato was incorporating a nose cone in their upcoming Duplex re-release so I'm quite pleased with myself!

160328_TGV%20Motrice_Shapeways_04_zps9jt

Cheers!

PS - They are on Shapeways (finally!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks! I use Rhino which is designed to make compound curves. What program do you use?

I'm afraid I can't afford that level of sophistication, so I'm on Blender.

I was staying in North Sydney for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my way to a wedding in Brisbane and took the opportunity to walk over the Harbour Bridge a few times. I thought of your thread as I saw the trains going backwards and forwards.

A Couple of Questions for you bluemattersoda. Firstly, Will these be for sale at anytime in the near future as I have a friend who would be very interested in these. And secondly how much sanding was done to these as from the 3d prints I had done a bit of sanding is needed.

Lachlan

I was staying in North Sydney for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my way to a wedding in Brisbane and took the opportunity to walk over the Harbour Bridge a few times. I thought of your thread as I saw the trains going backwards and forwards.

Thanks mate! You've actually seen more of the trains than I have - haven't been up to Sydney for years. I've based the model off photos I got from Google

A Couple of Questions for you bluemattersoda. Firstly, Will these be for sale at anytime in the near future as I have a friend who would be very interested in these. And secondly how much sanding was done to these as from the 3d prints I had done a bit of sanding is needed.

Lachlan

Hi Lachlan, They are actually on sale now from Shapeways - a few people have bought models already. Which model are you referring to? Regarding sanding, my models didn't require much sanding though if you sand after a primer coat you shouldn't need to sand too much. There's a new material which would reduce the sanding required, but I haven't investigated that yet. Check out my shop here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/platformmodels

In the Travelodge above the station throat by any chance?

I went to school just up the road from N. Sydney station and commuted by train - it was a bit different from living in Louth.....   There was still a lot of the old single-deck stock around then - think Triang.

• RMweb Gold

No, near the N. Sydney council offices - Rydge or something. It was about 20 minute walk to the station. I've some photos of the underneath of the Harbour Bridge if there's a scale model to be made ;)

Archived