Dowlais Ironworks Locomotives

Thought this link might be of interest to anyone not yet familiar with it:

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/Dowlais_Works_locomotives.htm

A total of 90 locomotives worked at Dowlais over the years - some to quite peculiar designs.

I suspect Hornby might even have based their early clockwork tank engines on this one   :secret:  (image from Alan George's site above):

post-17823-0-12843400-1459879855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 4

Scale drawings of these locos by T.L.Jones were published in either the MRN or MRC in the early 1950s.

I have copies in my collection.

The Dowlais Works stocklist on the Alan George website linked above appears to be an abrdiged version of a more detailed (valuation) and interesting document published many years ago in The Glamorgan Historian (IIRC) which outlined the use/duties of each individual loco together with their cost or value.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

I've now found the relevant plans.

Which were published in the Model Railway Constructor.

The wheelbase of these locos was 7'6"

Front and rear overhangs (buffer plank face to wheel centres) was 6'0" front and rear, giving 6'0"  +  7'6"  +  6'0"

Coupled wheels were 3'6" dia.

Brian R

• 1 year later...

I found this photo elsewhere here on RMweb and it reminded me of this topic.

post-14186-0-40409700-1507649003.jpg

Has anyone measured on of these up to compare with the dimensions given by Brian? It would need a lot of work to make it look and run like anything worth having. New frames, wheels, rods, brake gear, gearbox/motor, all the handrails cutting off and replacing with brass versions and some scratchbuilt front and cab steps, replacment buffers etc. etc... Not much, really. :O

Railway Bylines Annual Number 2 has an article, with pictures, of these and other Dowlais locos.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

Without knowledge of these Dowlais engines one might be forgiven for concluding this was a very amateurish freelance model - but (and accepting Dave's observations above) in fact it appears to be surprisingly faithful to the original design!

I've now found the relevant plans.

Which were published in the Model Railway Constructor.

The wheelbase of these locos was 7'6"

Front and rear overhangs (buffer plank face to wheel centres) was 6'0" front and rear, giving 6'0"  +  7'6"  +  6'0"

Coupled wheels were 3'6" dia.

Brian R

If you still have access to these plans, could you please tell us in which edition(s) of Model Railway Constructor they were published?

• RMweb Premium

Green with yellow/black lining, IIRC. I found a reference to it several years ago when I was curious about the prototype for the Hornby loco, but don't remember where. Hornby did a batch of KGV in the green livery; I got one off EBay. I am unable to vouch for the accuracy of the shade of green.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the early locos that ran on the system, in addition to the various Dowlais ones from Neath Abbey works, included those owned by the Penydarren and Cyfarthfa works and some very odd beasts.  A low tunnel necessitated hinged removable chimneys for some of them, and Hirwaun Iron Works supplied some articulated beasts dating back into the 1820s hauled by horse and waggon over the mountain between, which sounds like a heroic undertaking; there were a few from Robert Stephenson as well.  The original Trevithick Penydarren locomotive was not a great success, indeed it's main purpose had been to prove that a steam locomotive could haul 25 tons of iron in 'drams' to Abercynon Basin to satisfy a bet between Samual Homphray and Richard Crawshay (£5), but the engine part served for some years as a mobile engine capable of being moved around the system on a set of wheels, to drive machinery via belt drive rather than as a locomotive.

This is a whole subject worthy of both a book and a museum standard layout if anyone is up for the challenge; just don't look at me!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see from this list http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/Dowlais_Works_Locomotives_List.htm that the final three locomotives were Hudswell, Clarke diesels numbered 1, 2 and 3.

I don't suppose anybody knows which of those three this one is:

10421257796_b5cb4920ee_c.jpgOCT 74B Shunter emerging from the Ivor Works, Dowlais, September 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

That guy stepping down from the cab is rather inconsiderately obscuring the number.

• Like 2

2 loco photos ivge got for Dowlais

Beyer Peacock 3932  of 1880

post-9948-0-42071900-1507731722.jpg

Neilson - unknown

attachicon.gifneilson - dowlais iron.jpg

The Beyer Peacock looks very similar to The Dowlais Peckett Magpie (w/n 429 of 1883) The Peckett was the only one of its class built, so I wonder if Dowlais ordered it to be specially built as a copy of the Beyer Peacock design? There is a photo of Magpie in the Peckett book, by Andrew Smith and published by the IRS and the two look almost identical, except for the positions of the dome and tank filler being reversed and Magpie having a taller chimney.