Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

Heres a little project I have completed for the layout. I bought a rather run down and poorly weathered Bachmann class 37 408 for £30. Stripped off all the weathering, tidied it up and weathered it with my airbrush. Hope the pictures show what was achieved, before ,during, and afterwards.

post-9658-0-31543200-1463571362.jpg

post-9658-0-27230200-1463571368.jpg

post-9658-0-44545400-1463571378.jpg

post-9658-0-65688700-1463571385.jpg

post-9658-0-92450700-1463571395.jpg

• Like 16

Just a couple of pics to show the problem encountered with the point motor and the baseboard. I have used whiterose baseboards for this project as they were purchased many years ago. I am fitting DCC concepts digital point motors, which is quite straight forwards , even for me with little skill in this catogory!!

Now the problem !

Under the baseboard, the company have fitted fire retardent polystyrene to quieten surplus noise when trains are in operation. So to fit the motor, I have had to gorge out a hole to fit the motor with longer screws. This has worked, but is very messy to do. I have tried one motor to see how things fit,all works!!! so  will now be doing the same for the 8 other motors. The board has been put against the next for alignment of track, then its onto the next. First train has run over all the pointwork, in the photo, so Im pleased and relieved things have worked out !

post-9658-0-69555800-1464176988.jpg

post-9658-0-68862400-1464176996.jpg

Edited by EnglishElectricFan

Hi Simon,

Just found your layout thread. Looking good so far and nice weathering on the class 37/4. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words.

Have you started the new layout layout yet?  It looked a great idea to do. Im struggling to find noses for my split box 37 at the moment, as I want a model of 37012 in large logo before the square headlamps were fitted, as it worked the Stranraer-Glasgow Central service back in the 80s on Sealink stock. Contacted Bachmann, but no reply for spare noses !

Anyway, nice to hear from you and keep me informed of any news on your layout, as I will follow with interest.

Cheers Simon.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words.

Have you started the new layout layout yet?  It looked a great idea to do. Im struggling to find noses for my split box 37 at the moment, as I want a model of 37012 in large logo before the square headlamps were fitted, as it worked the Stranraer-Glasgow Central service back in the 80s on Sealink stock. Contacted Bachmann, but no reply for spare noses !

Anyway, nice to hear from you and keep me informed of any news on your layout, as I will follow with interest.

Cheers Simon.

Thanks Simon,

Not yet I am short of funds at the moment and still plenty to do on Llanbourne. I think Neil aka 'Class 66' had got a few of someone There were some nice centre headcode loco's about 37262 was a beast. You could always get another complete Split box loco. 

Cheers Peter.

Good morning everyone, hope you are enjoying the bank holiday weekend. More wiring today, bit of juggling with track alignment on one of the baseboards, and maybe time to have a go with the new airbrush. Got plenty of things waiting to be weathered, being a one man band makes progress slow, but fully enjoyable. I Was out on the ELR 37 bashing last weekend, 40106 looks in fine fettle, hopefull get some thrash at the gala in July, with some Cumbrian coast mixed in for a hopefully good week off work ! See how easy it is for the modelling to slip into go slow, far too much to juggle with, but we wouldnt have it any other way would we!

If I get any models sprayed, I will post some pics, as well as posting some of the wagons I have done so far.

Many thanks to all who keep me motivated by your kind words of support.

Simon

• Like 1

All the point motors on this board are now wired. PROBLEM !!

All points work when switched from the controller.........

One point works perfectly, the other 3 short when the loco's wheels run onto the point. I have attached isolating fishplates to the frog rails, with power to the toe as instructed, with the frog wire attached to the motor in the correct clip. One point works when the blade is switched incorrectly and allows the loco to run over without shorting, but obviously de-rails. All wires are fully co-ordinated and wired to the main bus correctly. So its back outside at the weekend to check all the wiring again.

Im no expert on electrics, so this could be a bug bearer!!

Watch this space folks!

post-9658-0-43420200-1464867703.jpg

post-9658-0-70575000-1464867711.jpg

All the point motors on this board are now wired. PROBLEM !!

All points work when switched from the controller.........

One point works perfectly, the other 3 short when the loco's wheels run onto the point. I have attached isolating fishplates to the frog rails, with power to the toe as instructed, with the frog wire attached to the motor in the correct clip. One point works when the blade is switched incorrectly and allows the loco to run over without shorting, but obviously de-rails. All wires are fully co-ordinated and wired to the main bus correctly. So its back outside at the weekend to check all the wiring again.

Im no expert on electrics, so this could be a bug bearer!!

Watch this space folks!

If the frog is wired to correct terminal, try swapping over the DCC feed to each point in turn (from the pictures it looks like Red and Black) and check again. 

Teabag

Morning all.

Just a quick update on the layout. I have sorted the short circuiting on the troublesome point. I found that if I disconnected the frog wire from DCC concepts point motor, the loco's ran over the point trouble free. This point has a power feed from the toe, and is conected to another point, so they face each other toe to toe. Unsure as to why this worked, but it has and all my loco's with bo-bo wheel arangements now run trouble free. (I am hopeless with electrics!).

So now I have 3 of the 4 scenic boards wired up and trains run fine! If the rain holds off today I may spray the track on the warehouse board in readiness for ballasting. (unsure which type of ballast to use at the moment, but it will be very fine grade due to the finished look being a weary run down siding area with overgrowth in areas).

So thats it for now, most time has been spent wiring recently,but hopefully I can crack on with some other jobs.

Just a few pics taken last night, I have tried to upload a video, but it says the files are too large. So heres a few pics.

post-9658-0-06258400-1465725777.jpg

post-9658-0-63950000-1465725785.jpg

post-9658-0-54806300-1465725799.jpg

• Like 1

A couple of photo's of two of the 26 fleet.

This weekend I will hopefully attach the backscene boards to the warehouse board and have a play around with the image (ID backscenes Distribution Depot)  as to what looks best , as I need it to join with the Harbour backscene. I may add some low relief warehousing behind the platform to disguise the join of two different scenes.

post-9658-0-52221700-1466072833.jpg

post-9658-0-88080000-1466072851.jpg

post-9658-0-65008700-1466072883.jpg

post-9658-0-98028400-1466072890.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Simon,

Making some good progress on the layout its looking good. Nice weathering on the class 26s and class 47. Your 26037 would look a bit better if you painted the red on the chassis it was missed by Heljan though I think they did it on later models.

As you can see by my pic the red did get dirty pretty quick.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-99639100-1466082636.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 4

Hi Simon,

Making some good progress on the layout its looking good. Nice weathering on the class 26s and class 47. Your 26037 would look a bit better if you painted the red on the chassis it was missed by Heljan though I think they did it on later models.

As you can see by my pic the red did get dirty pretty quick.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the comments. Yes it was an early accuisition, and its on the list of things to do on the rolling stock list of jobs. Thats a great pic of 026 at GQ St?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Managed to get one backscene fitted at the weekend. Not sure if it looks right as the buildings are too modern, but I have some new ID backscenes self adhesive 1950s factory sheets to use , so might add a couple to mask the vehicles.

post-9658-0-71386200-1466509945.jpg

post-9658-0-99266000-1466509950.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

A very nice layout with some fabulous stock. Nothing better than 1980s Scottish locos.

The warehouse looks great. It looks very similar to the one on Tidworth. Is it scratch built or a kit?

Thanks

Hello,

A very nice layout with some fabulous stock. Nothing better than 1980s Scottish locos.

The warehouse looks great. It looks very similar to the one on Tidworth. Is it scratch built or a kit?

Thanks

Hi PJ

Yes the warehouse was scratch built by a proffesional modeller, I havent the skills to build anything near to what has been produced.. I had seen Tidworth and wanted a warehouse to fit my baseboard width. I didnt expect one so similar, but Im not complaining as its a fabulous piece of modelling. Tidworth really got my appetite back for building my layout as its such a fantastic layout.

Thanks

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody. Oppologise for the lack of updates to those who follow this thread. Due to my workload ,the building of the layout has slowed right down of late. Although I have been doing a few bits of modelling on the rolling stock front. I have modified some Hornby Mk 3s in Inter City livery into Scotrail livery for my push pull set. Photos to follow.

Hi everybody. Oppologise for the lack of updates to those who follow this thread. Due to my workload ,the building of the layout has slowed right down of late. Although I have been doing a few bits of modelling on the rolling stock front. I have modified some Hornby Mk 3s in Inter City livery into Scotrail livery for my push pull set. Photos to follow.

post-9658-0-70340800-1470586768.jpg

post-9658-0-41307200-1470586779.jpg

• Like 2

Just a couple of photo's of the Scotrail set im working on. All the coaches are now transferred, weathered and matt varnished. The 47 needs a sound chip adding, and Bachmanns DBSO...............hurry up Bachmann !

The train will be running as a shortened version as the layout isnt large enough for a full rake version. I think I may get away with 4 coaches, may be able to squeeze 4 mk 3s , DBSO and loco on longest storage siding.

post-9658-0-18693600-1471267851.jpg

post-9658-0-68376600-1471267863.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi PJ

Yes the warehouse was scratch built by a proffesional modeller, I havent the skills to build anything near to what has been produced.. I had seen Tidworth and wanted a warehouse to fit my baseboard width. I didnt expect one so similar, but Im not complaining as its a fabulous piece of modelling. Tidworth really got my appetite back for building my layout as its such a fantastic layout.

Thanks

Simon

I'd say it was a bit more than similar, the only thing missing is the SWITCH logo! ;)

I had noticed the 'professional modeller' advertising it on ebay a few months ago and asked him when I could expect the commission cheque, needless to say the pics disappeared very quickly!

I'm glad that my humble efforts helped inspire you Simon.

• Like 2