Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

Tonights quick project is 56037 'Richard Trevithick' in construction livery from a spare body shell to unnamed Metals livery 56 073. I will add the numbers tomorrow to give the sector transfers to dry.

Just need a 56 detailing bag now with chassis screws.........anybody got one to sell? :mail:

post-9658-0-65302200-1509492206.jpg

post-9658-0-11847400-1509492224.jpg

post-9658-0-46753100-1509492242.jpg

• Like 3

Quick note on the layout. The baseboards have been ordered for both scenic boards. They are flat packed , pre cut and just require assembling when they arrive. They have a backscene with canopy over the layout to produce a box like frame. Hopefully the canopy will be deep enough to fix lighting on the inside at the front , time will tell ! I already have the turntable fiddle yard built, but this is only 3ft which is too small for the new layout, so I will have to do a new 4ft one..................my only niggle on this is how do you wire a turntable for DCC, all tracks powered without getting the wiring all tangled up when turning through 360 degrees? Hmmmm................ :scratchhead:

Edited by EnglishElectricFan

Hi Simon, 

Your wagons are looking good as is the class 56. Try Peter's Spares for a detail pack He has quite a lot of Hornby spares. 

Pics below show the underside of my class 40. I have put small bits of plasticard in several places along the bottom of the body which are only about 2mm wide. They clip over the bottom of the chassis as when sitting the right height the body overlaps the chassis.

Hope that helps. Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-51987900-1509611516_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-27003900-1509611570_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon, 

Your wagons are looking good as is the class 56. Try Peter's Spares for a detail pack He has quite a lot of Hornby spares. 

Pics below show the underside of my class 40. I have put small bits of plasticard in several places along the bottom of the body which are only about 2mm wide. They clip over the bottom of the chassis as when sitting the right height the body overlaps the chassis.

Hope that helps. Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the details on the 40 chassis/body.

I have tried Peters spares, and others, they are all out of 56 detail bags unfortunately.

The scrap wagons just need some rust scratches/chipping to finish them off.

Cheers

Simon

Just been dabbling with weathering a Bachmann 16t mineral wagon for my 70s scrap train. Im not 100% happy with it, but with a few more touches with some  darker rust it should look more lifelike. Only 8 to do so not too bad !

I will replace the data panel with a tops coded MXV version  :senile:

post-9658-0-70724000-1509904333.jpg

post-9658-0-50775500-1509904351.jpg

post-9658-0-33655200-1509904404.jpg

post-9658-0-62201600-1509904426.jpg

• Like 4

This s weekends projects so far. Re number Heljans class 26 as 26031 , Un weathered the weathering that was on it and treated the roof to a faded grey look. Just requires weathering again !

Next was to re number a Bachmann 37/5 in rail freight red stripe and put correct size double arrows on body side ( my patience was severely tested rubbing down the original arrow which was oversized).

Just need to carry the red stripe around onto the bottom of the nose ends now. ( will wait until warmer climates arrive! )

post-9658-0-05471000-1510507630_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-75882900-1510507660_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-42717500-1510507678_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-71159000-1510507713_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-28003900-1510507780_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-80716100-1510507809_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-52793900-1510507822_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Can anybody help me on this subject?

I am using Marcway points and SMP track on my new layout. I want to fit DCC Cobalt point motors to the Marcway points. Has anyone used these in DCC mode on their layout with these points? If so, how did you wire them up up, as the frog wire caused the point to short last time I tried them.

I really am useless with electrics and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

ps 

sorry about the quality of the photographs

post-9658-0-59464900-1510867750.jpg

post-9658-0-96604000-1510867762.jpg

post-9658-0-52568700-1510867772.jpg

post-9658-0-14127600-1510867780.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The baseboards have arrived, these have been custom designed by myself with all relevant measurements sent to Grange and Hodder to fit them around their standard designs. (Im useless at woodwork, you should see the spice rack I made at school, still in use though at mums ! ) They have done a fantastic job with them. No instructions as they're custom made, so took time to see what fits where! Plenty of dry runs before gluing and tacking!!!

Heres a few photos of one board so far. The hole in the bottom corner is part of the Harbour, with the 2nd boards harbour section much longer.

The boards both measure 3ftx2ft, with a couple of extra inches on the width to support the 'U' shaped cross bracing for the top board, which will be added when all trackwork has been laid and tested.

post-9658-0-24338800-1512308734.jpg

post-9658-0-81136400-1512308740.jpg

post-9658-0-33774900-1512308790.jpg

post-9658-0-01477500-1512308801.jpg

post-9658-0-31207700-1512308811.jpg

• Like 2

Just a quick update on the baseboards.

I have built the board which will attach to the turntable fiddle yard board, and horror of horrors, the 'hole' in the end board isnt low enough at the bottom. It has a lip of about 1.5cm above the baseboard top , which also means the top is too high, being visible over the road bridge which disguises the entry/exit to fiddle yard. (phone call to baseboard company Monday morning).

On the whole it all went together very easily when I found out what went where etc (no plans as they are custom made to my requirements). Will hope to complete the other board this week, and then bolt them together.

They will be supported by metal adjustable trestles , which can have the height adjusted to suit the best height for showing the layout when viewed. Anyway, enough waffling and hope the photo shows the progress made far.

post-9658-0-63358200-1512914405.jpg

• Like 3

Good evening all.

Just a quick update on the baseboards.I have decided to use LED strips cut to the width of the baseboard (2ft) and stuck to the underside of the canopy top on each of the 3 sections. The wires will run along the supports out of view and through a hole that has been pre-drilled for this purpose. The wires will all be run down the back of the backscene board into terminal blocks, with a connection to a transformer. A remote control will also be made available so as to 'DIM' the daylight into night time which will highlight the buildings that will be fitted with the plug n play lighting system 

Well thats the theory.....watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and seasons greetings to you all.

I hope you all got the models you wished for this Christmas. I am just posting a quick update of the layout. I have built all the baseboards now, and will need to seal them as they will be in the conservatory on a permanent basis. I have noted that some people use watered down PVA when sealing their baseboards etc in the loft.

I will also be painting the frontage, colour undecided (suggestions much appreciated) and then varnish it all off.I have ordered the lights, which will fit inside the canopy hood. These being strip LED's. 6 strips (one for each section).

Then its down to track laying.

Please feel free to comment and advise as I take note of all your comments.

May I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy New Year.

(Model manufacturers please lets have a 104 DMU and a class 303 EMU!).

post-9658-0-70883500-1514491132.jpg

post-9658-0-13513600-1514491139.jpg

post-9658-0-90946600-1514491144.jpg

post-9658-0-42590200-1514491152.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

Hope you had a good Christmas. Layout looks to be coming on a treat, the baseboards are a neat design and the built in lighting facia saves messing around with seperate ones, I hope it doesn't impede working on the layout too much?

Looking forward to seeing the tracklaying stage. All the best for the New Year!

Can anybody help me on this subject?

I am using Marcway points and SMP track on my new layout. I want to fit DCC Cobalt point motors to the Marcway points. Has anyone used these in DCC mode on their layout with these points? If so, how did you wire them up up, as the frog wire caused the point to short last time I tried them.

I really am useless with electrics and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

ps

sorry about the quality of the photographs

Re your Marcway points - they look very neat. Can't help with the DCC/ point motor side of things but it appears there are no isolating gaps in the switch rails between the toe of the blades and the frog? Assuming the whole frog is live (and if this is indeed the case) this means both switch rails will be the same polarity which could give rise to issues with wheels passing through causing shorts between the outer stock rail and inner (open) switch blade. The use of copperclad sleepers complicates issues in so far as in the pictures its hard to see where the isolating gaps are in these (which is great aesthetically but can make fault finding a right royal pita!) Are there any instructions suggesting any cuts need to be made anywhere (in sleepers or rails)?

Re your Marcway points - they look very neat. Can't help with the DCC/ point motor side of things but it appears there are no isolating gaps in the switch rails between the toe of the blades and the frog? Assuming the whole frog is live (and if this is indeed the case) this means both switch rails will be the same polarity which could give rise to issues with wheels passing through causing shorts between the outer stock rail and inner (open) switch blade. The use of copperclad sleepers complicates issues in so far as in the pictures its hard to see where the isolating gaps are in these (which is great aesthetically but can make fault finding a right royal pita!) Are there any instructions suggesting any cuts need to be made anywhere (in sleepers or rails)?

Hi Martyn

Yes  I did have a nice Christmas thanks, did you?

I have used the points running on DCC mode before, and a Heljan class 26 ran fine over them. The frog is totally independent from the rest of the point, it will have insulated fish plates on each exit rail from the Vee. I have decided to just have a run round loop in the station now, with a couple of sidings on the dock front with a headshunt / kickback siding. I may make this into a small loading dock for ballast trains. I will post some pics I have just taken, so please feel free to comment and advise. Thanks for your encouragement. Your layout is a good motivator !!!!

All the best for 2018

Thanks Simon, yes has a good and fairly quiet Christmas, although no modelling has been done until today, now that the dining table has been returned to everyday use!

Your trackplan looks good, rather reminiscent of several Scottish termini (Kyle of Lochalsh came to mind first, followed by Wick & Thurso!)

Just a thought, without knowing the purpose of the shorter siding (with 27 on in the pics), If it is for empty wagons then its perfect but my thought was if it was needed for loading/unloading vans or parcels stock, might a platform extension from the loading dock between the 2 sidings work well? (As at KoL), or some form of road access, although I appreciate this would mean moving one or other of the sidings over to accomodate it. Just my own thoughts as I say.

Your dockside walls look superb, are they cast resin?

Thanks Simon, yes has a good and fairly quiet Christmas, although no modelling has been done until today, now that the dining table has been returned to everyday use!

Your trackplan looks good, rather reminiscent of several Scottish termini (Kyle of Lochalsh came to mind first, followed by Wick & Thurso!)

Just a thought, without knowing the purpose of the shorter siding (with 27 on in the pics), If it is for empty wagons then its perfect but my thought was if it was needed for loading/unloading vans or parcels stock, might a platform extension from the loading dock between the 2 sidings work well? (As at KoL), or some form of road access, although I appreciate this would mean moving one or other of the sidings over to accomodate it. Just my own thoughts as I say.

Your dockside walls look superb, are they cast resin?

Hi Martyn

Yes it looks similar to Kyle. The siding where the 27 is will run into a platform which extends from the cold store. I have just taken a picture of the box cover to show how it will look. The cabin on the end may not be used as I want an old style hut/lamp room. 

The dockside walls are resin. I need to paint and weather them.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Martyn

Yes it looks similar to Kyle. The siding where the 27 is will run into a platform which extends from the cold store. I have just taken a picture of the box cover to show how it will look. The cabin on the end may not be used as I want an old style hut/lamp room. 

The dockside walls are resin. I need to paint and weather them.

Regards

Simon

post-9658-0-24973000-1514584490_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-24403600-1514584503_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-83171700-1514584592.jpg

• Like 1