Can anybody help on this please? I want to simply pull out the wheels on my 64xx on the current Bachmann axles to EM gauge. I am sure, however, that I read somewhere that this is not the easy solution as with other locos, and not to try it! So, I haven't!

Have I dreamt this? Or is it true? Has anybody tried this approach on this loco, and can they give advice please?

Thanks, Dai Davies

It's the same principle as the 57xx but with brass bearings rather than just relying on slots in the diecast chassis. Pulling the wheels out can be done but you'd need to make new brake gear, Bachmann wheels are wide and have pretty chunky flanges. In a thread I started on the subject of regauging a Bachmann 2MT I was advised that skimming the backs of the flanges was a good idea - it is, with the flanges skimmed 0.3mm the brake gear on my test pannier merely needed trimming rather than removing completely. 

I tried earlier shaving them down to RP25-88 profile, but there isn't enough meat left in the flange for that after bringing the wheel down to proper width. (Not wasting these rejects, I'll be turning the tyres right down and fitting new nickel silver tyres and using them in a Cambrian 2-4-0T!)

EDIT to Add: if you were to strip it down and send Ultrascale the drive gear, I'm sure they'd fit it onto a 57xx conversion wheelset for you, which would then drop in. 

Edited by Quarryscapes

It's the same principle as the 57xx but with brass bearings rather than just relying on slots in the diecast chassis. Pulling the wheels out can be done but you'd need to make new brake gear, Bachmann wheels are wide and have pretty chunky flanges. In a thread I started on the subject of regauging a Bachmann 2MT I was advised that skimming the backs of the flanges was a good idea - it is, with the flanges skimmed 0.3mm the brake gear on my test pannier merely needed trimming rather than removing completely. 

I tried earlier shaving them down to RP25-88 profile, but there isn't enough meat left in the flange for that after bringing the wheel down to proper width. (Not wasting these rejects, I'll be turning the tyres right down and fitting new nickel silver tyres and using them in a Cambrian 2-4-0T!)

EDIT to Add: if you were to strip it down and send Ultrascale the drive gear, I'm sure they'd fit it onto a 57xx conversion wheelset for you, which would then drop in.

Thanks for this: you've put me off 'simple regauging', and now I'll look at replacement. In the meantime, I shall clean up my EM 14xx and run that on the line!

No problem, I have an Ultrascale converted 57xx and that has had to have no surgery whatsover. I have a scrap 57xx chassis that I have been experimenting on prior to doing the 2MT, so I tried the original wheels for size. 

I tell you what I regret pulling the 2MT apart now, putting the valve gear back together is proving 'interesting'!

No problem, I have an Ultrascale converted 57xx and that has had to have no surgery whatsover. I have a scrap 57xx chassis that I have been experimenting on prior to doing the 2MT, so I tried the original wheels for size. 

I tell you what I regret pulling the 2MT apart now, putting the valve gear back together is proving 'interesting'!

Yes, there is an extra benefit in modelling GWR locos - apart from 15xx and suchlike - regauging should be much easier!

• 1 month later...

I originally hoped to do the conversion using the EMGS shouldered axles but found the length of the shoulder was too short for this particular application so when the wheels were pushed on they were too wide to gauge.  I did have a mate turn a wider shoulder but for some reason couldnt get the Bachmann wheels back on without going wobbly.

In the end  I used Markit wheels and it was a straightforward conversion.  Intending to use the Bachmann wheels I did slice off the brake rigging to pack with some slithers of plasticard and re-glue but that actually was unnecessary for the Markit wheels.

Of course the conversion needs some washers to minimise side play and pickups need adjusting but no other work was required to get a smooth running loco.

Hope the helps.

G

I originally hoped to do the conversion using the EMGS shouldered axles but found the length of the shoulder was too short for this particular application so when the wheels were pushed on they were too wide to gauge.  I did have a mate turn a wider shoulder but for some reason couldnt get the Bachmann wheels back on without going wobbly.

In the end  I used Markit wheels and it was a straightforward conversion.  Intending to use the Bachmann wheels I did slice off the brake rigging to pack with some slithers of plasticard and re-glue but that actually was unnecessary for the Markit wheels.

Of course the conversion needs some washers to minimise side play and pickups need adjusting but no other work was required to get a smooth running loco.

Hope the helps.

G

What loco is this, a 64xx?

• 2 months later...

Well, I took the plunge and pulled out the existing wheels on their axles. Loco works fine, but had to rejig the brake rigging; and also remove some wheel arch plastic. Take care with this procedure: the plastic is quite thin thereabouts, and I managed to puncture it --- but not fatally! You could well see the outcome on Culm at ExpoEM North in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help on this.

• 1 year later...

Well, I took the plunge and pulled out the existing wheels on their axles. Loco works fine, but had to rejig the brake rigging; and also remove some wheel arch plastic. Take care with this procedure: the plastic is quite thin thereabouts, and I managed to puncture it --- but not fatally! You could well see the outcome on Culm at ExpoEM North in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help on this.

thought I would revisit this post. The simple ‘pulling out’ of the wheels only worked on straight stretches. The reason is that the Bachman wheels are plug fitted on the end with rubber inserts: net result is that there is no play, and no stiff metal to hang on to. What a shame!(being polite). So I have bought Markits axles and wheels, and will convert at some stage.