Heaton Lodge Junction 7mm 'O' Gauge 1982-5

Guest bri.s

Wow what a project

Brings back memories of being a youngen

Got there a few times in the 80's spotting with my uncle ,I can't have been 10 years old but remember sitting on the hill looking down on here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6125278146

Think there was a pub next to the bridge that who's car park we used but I could be wrong ,it was a while ago lol

Very nice looking modelling and a great project

Look forward to your progress

Brian

Stunning, hadn't seen the mag so this was a new one on me.

I hope this is going onto the Exhibition circuit, it looks excellent already and it's only part built.

I can't believe anything this big could go out on the road, but then why have individual boards? - We can only live in hope, though there probably aren't that many venues big enough to house 60m length, let alone afford the transport costs. It would certainly be worth travelling to see.

Keep us up to date with progress, it's fascinating seeing something this big under construction, the statistics of track, wire, boards etc. must be stupendous.

I'm assuming it's permanently set up in it's own space? If so we can perhaps view it from Google Earth!

Peter

Stunning, hadn't seen the mag so this was a new one on me.

I can't believe anything this big could go out on the road, but then why have individual boards? - We can only live in hope, though there probably aren't that many venues big enough to house 60m length, let alone afford the transport costs. It would certainly be worth travelling to see.

Warley or something similar I would hope and maybe it is modular so that some of the main straight could be omitted.......

What do you mean, covering my bridges in modelling clay - how dare you Sir !

Classic in the making mate, don't weaken now !

Cheers.

Allan

Sorry Allan I know covering your bridges with DAS and carving them is a bit like telling RA Riddles his 9F's were cr#p!

To answer the questions, and thanks for the kind words, the layout will be going to exhibitions and is tailor made to fit inside a 40ft artic.

Fortunately my business runs a few and I've an HGV Class 1 license so will be driving it!

Exhibitions - 55m sounds big and is of course but it'll go into Doncaster, NEC will swallow it up and a few more surprisingly.

I'm not doing this hoping for costs back I'll gladly take it where it'll fit.

It will be housed in an industrial unit when not at exhibitions and I'm hoping to make it available there for as many that wish to see it at that location too.

Simon

• Like 9

Wow, what a fantastic project and you've picked a great location to model.  Lots of potential for dirty blue locos from/ en-route HM :)

I shall keep an eye on this thread and if you need any more reference photos, please feel free to drop me a PM as this location is virtually around the corner (Just wish I could go back to 1982 to get the exact ones for you) :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

May BRM only in my local WH Smith since this morning.

Bought a copy just for this article and Andy is right that the trackplan is clearer in there and shows quite a clever arrangement of the hidden sidings.

Nice article also on the Aylesbury LNWR layout which I recall from many years ago.

• RMweb Premium

That's a stunning model Simon. I spent many hours in that area when I was at Poly in Huddersfield in the early 70's and still live not too far away. I look forward to seeing more on this thread and the layout itself in due course. And I thought that I was mad doing a 12metre long layout sized for a 7.5 ton wagon.

Jamie

Guest bri.s

I'll definitely be off to buy the mag on Monday and look forward to seeing it at an exhibition

Isn't Calcutta sidings in p4 around 55 feet long and I saw that at DEMU burton last year

Brian

First picture a fake. Just CAN'T be real !!!!!

Who needs trains with scenery like that

Brian

Once again thanks for the kind comments. To be honest I'd still build this model even if no trains were to ever run on it!!

I'll use this thread to update when a new section is complete and the one under scenery structures and transport about methods..if anyone is interested.

Just about completed another board which has taken about a week of evening. We are getting near the actual junction now and the North embankment starts to drop in height. I'm working to a drawing of the terrain after many site visits and photos taken in 1982-5.

This board has another couple of relay boxes on the North side and some vandal has chucked a cooker down the embankment on the South.

Few pics including another almost completed module, detail pics and a terrain drawing I'm working to..

post-25007-0-28439700-1462116008.jpeg

post-25007-0-31985600-1462116029.jpeg

post-25007-0-47536200-1462116046.jpeg

post-25007-0-75459600-1462116088.jpeg

post-25007-0-15603100-1462116230.jpeg

post-25007-0-46809300-1462116318_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8