Heaton Lodge Junction

• 3 weeks later...

Love seeing progress with this project. Superb modelling. Can i just point out that on the small LPG vessel in the cylinder compound, the angular projection on the body, which represents the hood over the valves and fittings, should be on the top centre line?

Dave.

Love seeing progress with this project. Superb modelling. Can i just point out that on the small LPG vessel in the cylinder compound, the angular projection on the body, which represents the hood over the valves and fittings, should be on the top centre line?

Dave.

Didn't know that, that's interesting cheers Dave. I'll get the scalpel out..

25 TTA's wow That's going to be an impressive train!! And a heavy one too. Good job you've gone for roller bearings.

There's a few heavy trains planned for Heaton Lodge. The heaviest is 2 x 56's and 20 TEA bogie tanks. Can't say yet whose designed and manufacturing the TEA's but the detail on them is superb and once they are ready to produce they will be available in kit form. Needless to say I don't think anything will pull 20 without the bearing but I could be wrong :)

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not knowing the area you're modelling, but why is there a gas cylinder compound between what look to be main running lines? The cylinders are heavy and hard to manhandle, it seems a strange place to store them without vehicular access.

( Unless that will be on the next board).

Stu

There's a few heavy trains planned for Heaton Lodge. The heaviest is 2 x 56's and 20 TEA bogie tanks. Can't say yet whose designed and manufacturing the TEA's but the detail on them is superb and once they are ready to produce they will be available in kit form. Needless to say I don't think anything will pull 20 without the bearing but I could be wrong :)

Cheers

Simon

That there Lambo you scared the sxxxs out of me with ought to do it,Simon - if not, there's always Silvia's diesel!

Cheers.

Allan.

Not knowing the area you're modelling, but why is there a gas cylinder compound between what look to be main running lines? The cylinders are heavy and hard to manhandle, it seems a strange place to store them without vehicular access.

Stu

Good question Stu, but yes the gas cylinder fed propane point heaters which were installed on all the nearby point work. They changed over to electric in the early 1990's and the compound was pulled down.

There is vehicle access via a dirt track which (as you rightly guessed) drops down between the lines over the next two boards to connect with a country lane.

Here is 40121 heading west past the compound in 1983..

post-25007-0-01634500-1504785755.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Stu

Good question Stu, but yes the gas cylinder fed propane point heaters which were installed on all the nearby point work. They changed over to electric in the early 1990's and the compound was pulled down.

There is vehicle access via a dirt track which (as you rightly guessed) drops down between the lines over the next two boards to connect with a country lane.

Here is 40121 heading west past the compound in 1983..

As this is on my 'local patch', for context, this is the position today with the concrete base for the original compound still visible beyond the slope up from Wood Lane, and between the running lines before the current Heaton Lodge East Junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6790033,-1.714897,488m/data=!3m1!1e3?dcr=0

• RMweb Gold

As this is on my 'local patch', for context, this is the position today with the concrete base for the original compound still visible beyond the slope up from Wood Lane, and between the running lines before the current Heaton Lodge East Junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6790033,-1.714897,488m/data=!3m1!1e3?dcr=0

Ah, thanks for that, makes it all clear now.

It just looked a very odd idea...

Looking at your prototype photo, it's clear that, in this particular case, the LPG vessel does not have a valve hood fitted. Thus, the various valves and fittings along the top are exposed. The off-take pipe (which looks as if it is lagged, oddly, from the apparent size of it) rises vertically to a horizontal leg and then goes vertically down and into the ground on the far side of the vessel. Clearly visible are the vessel lifting lugs at each end, which look to be mounted on the corner of the dished ends - a classic location.on older vessels.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Looking at your prototype photo, it's clear that, in this particular case, the LPG vessel does not have a valve hood fitted. Thus, the various valves and fittings along the top are exposed. The off-take pipe (which looks as if it is lagged, oddly, from the apparent size of it) rises vertically to a horizontal leg and then goes vertically down and into the ground on the far side of the vessel. Clearly visible are the vessel lifting lugs at each end, which look to be mounted on the corner of the dished ends - a classic location.on older vessels.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Thanks Dave I've zoomed in on this and you are obviously correct. Thanks for that.

I'm making the red warning notices on each end and my best guess as to the wording would be Danger! No Naked Flame etc but clearly there are more words than this on the sign. Can you suggest what the standard wording would have been back in the 1980's?

Sorry, I can't really help with the notice. It doesn't look look a standard LPG company notice to me - that would have the hazard diamond with "UN1978" product number. Although the photo becomes blurred when I enlarge it, it looks to me as if there is only three lines of large text, so perhaps it was a BR own notice, being on their property? Perhaps someone has a better photo of a BR LPG compound from the period?

Dave.

Thanks Dave I've zoomed in on this and you are obviously correct. Thanks for that.

I'm making the red warning notices on each end and my best guess as to the wording would be Danger! No Naked Flame etc but clearly there are more words than this on the sign. Can you suggest what the standard wording would have been back in the 1980's?

Try this mate.

[

url=https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lpg+warning+signs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=nWi2WdCYM7HS8]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lpg+warning+signs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=nWi2WdCYM7HS8[/url]

Flammable Gas Diamond With Flames Symbol

In 4 styles

From £1.27

warning diamond with flames symbol Text: highly flammable lpg

Warning Diamond With Flames Symbol

In 4 styles

From £1.27

FREE - SafetySignSupplies - Catalogue 30,000 products all available next day Text:

FREE - SafetySignSupplies - Catalogue 30,000 Products All Available Next Day

In 1 style

From £0.00

dual sign flammable warning symbol & no matches symbol Text: l.p.g. highly flammable no smoking or naked lights

Dual Sign Flammable Warning Symbol & No Matches Symbol

In 22 styles

From £3.99

Warning diamond, white background and text with red gas bottle and border. Text: LPG

Warning Diamond, White Background And Text With Red Gas Bottle And Border.

In 4 styles

From £1.27

Gas leak action sign.

Gas leak Action ON DISCOVERING A GAS LEAK 1. Extinguish all naked flames and cigarettes. 2. Turn off the supply at the control valve. 3. Open all windows. 4. Call gas emergency on: BLANK SPACE If the escap persists: 5. Evacuate building immediately. 6. Report to the external assembly point at:- BLANK SPACE Text: Gas leak action sign.

Gas leak Action ON DISCOVERING A GAS LEAK 1. Extinguish all naked flames and cigarettes. 2. Turn off the supply at the control valve. 3. Open all windows. 4. Call gas emergency on: BLANK SPACE If the escap persists: 5. Evacuate building immediately. 6. Report to the external assembly point at:- BLANK SPACE

Gas Leak Action Sign. Gas Leak Action ON DISCOVERING A GAS LEAK 1. Extinguish All Naked Flames And Cigarettes. 2. Turn Off The Supply At The Control Valve. 3. Open All Windows. 4. Call Gas Emergency On: BLANK SPACE If The Escap Persists: 5. Evacuate Building Immediately. 6. Report To The External Assembly Point At:- BLANK SPACE

In 31 styles

From £2.59

dual sign flammable warning symbol no smoking symbol and mandatory exlamation Text: Danger L.P.G. Highly flammable No smoking Switch off engine

Dual Sign Flammable Warning Symbol No Smoking Symbol And Mandatory Exlamation

In 2 styles

From £34.65

fire in warning triangle Text: l.p.g. highly flammable

Fire In Warning Triangle

In 73 styles

From £1.03

toxic gas diamond with scull and cross bones symbol Text: toxic gas

Toxic Gas Diamond With Scull And Cross Bones Symbol

In 4 styles

From £1.27

Edited by allan downes

Its a bit boring gluing metres of concrete trunking in various shades but well worth the end result. The exposed cables are probably a bit more numerous on the model than the real thing but they look good!

At the moment I'm trying to get the rough dusty surface right for where the compound sits in the middle of the tracks. I'm painting it Humbrol pale grey before sprinkling chinchilla dust and sieved wood ash onto the wet paint to get that lighter shade. This on top of foam board out of which I've cut indentations in for puddles a bit later. 

I've used clay to smooth out the puddle holes and create slight differences in the surface. I'll be adding all manner of old bricks, bits of rail etc later.

Does anyone know what the yellow painted parallel lines signify painted on concrete trunking every now and again by PW men? Seen it a lot on the real thing.

post-25007-0-45755400-1505649442.jpg

post-25007-0-15743700-1505649467.jpg

post-25007-0-89743200-1505649498.jpg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress on the propane gas compound in the last couple weeks. Had to do a bit of woodwork to infill the space between the tracks which always seemed to have lots of railway rubbish kicking about on it and was often waterlogged in the early '80's.

I've some details to add yet and touching up to do but the warning signs are on, the compound and bottles weathered complete with Calor logos, and 'water' added to form big puddles. 

This lighter coloured ground is sieved wood ash from a fireplace & chinchilla dust from pets at home. Water is woodland scenics realistic water tinted with the 'murky' dye they sell and additional ballast is a mixture of 3 colours with thin superglue to secure it.

post-25007-0-16588500-1506591494.jpg

post-25007-0-67344200-1506591515.jpg

post-25007-0-60908300-1506591535.jpg

post-25007-0-13488800-1506591563.jpg

post-25007-0-84540300-1506591582.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For the last few weeks I've been concentrating on building some JLTRT TTA tank kits (15 almost completed so far, from 50 I need) and finding some permanent premises for Heaton Lodge big enough to have it set up in its entirety when complete in 2 years or so.

In the meantime the second 12ft long crossover is under construction and this has held things up a bit..

Fortunately I've found an old mill basement that's exactly 180ft long to house HL available to rent. It needs lighting and decorating so I'm about to get my hands dirty!

Unless its on its way to a future exhibition, HL will be living here from next year which makes it so much easier to work on (instead of one section at a time).

The layout will use all the space lengthways in the picture..

The TTA tanks are taking more room than I thought. This rake of just 12 forms half of a train, of what will eventually be 25 TTA's.. Pulled by 2 x 37's I can't wait to see this chugging up the 1:137 constant gradient.. They are awaiting transfers and weathering plus coupling and brake hoses. I'm experimenting with fitting battery powered sound chips into every tenth TTA so they replicate flange squeal and the odd flat spotted wheel! 

Room for a few more layouts in there.

• Like 1

For the last few weeks I've been concentrating on building some JLTRT TTA tank kits (15 almost completed so far, from 50 I need) and finding some permanent premises for Heaton Lodge big enough to have it set up in its entirety when complete in 2 years or so.

In the meantime the second 12ft long crossover is under construction and this has held things up a bit..

Fortunately I've found an old mill basement that's exactly 180ft long to house HL available to rent. It needs lighting and decorating so I'm about to get my hands dirty!

Unless its on its way to a future exhibition, HL will be living here from next year which makes it so much easier to work on (instead of one section at a time).

The layout will use all the space lengthways in the picture..

The TTA tanks are taking more room than I thought. This rake of just 12 forms half of a train, of what will eventually be 25 TTA's.. Pulled by 2 x 37's I can't wait to see this chugging up the 1:137 constant gradient.. They are awaiting transfers and weathering plus coupling and brake hoses. I'm experimenting with fitting battery powered sound chips into every tenth TTA so they replicate flange squeal and the odd flat spotted wheel!

Awesome, just awesome.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link