Buffer Stops at Little Salkeld

Folks,

(This is reposted (I didn't get any responses on general forum), but it is S&C specific).

I'm modelling a lesser known station on the Settle-Carlisle line during the 1960-1965 period (Little Salkeld) and the station at that time still had sidings and a lie-by which all require buffer stops.

I'm modelling in 2mm scale and I'm building late LMS/early BR design buffer stops from 2mm finescale association etched kits but need advice on the correct colour scheme for the type and period. These are the type fabricated from rail section type.

I'm guessing black with white on the face of the buffer beam, but likely to be heavily weathered with rust/track dirt?

Second question, is would this have had a lamp mounted on top of the buffer beam at this time? - one of the siding roads runs into the back of the platform, so was wondering if this one as a minimum would have one from a safety regulation perspective?

Many thanks in advance 

Regards

Paul

post-21141-0-27986300-1462533957_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if these help but they are at Crosby Garrett 1967, I think. The sidings are empty and rusty, but I can't see anything for mounting a lamp.

post-6902-0-35020800-1462543691_thumb.jpg

The e4nd loading dock one's face has been painted whiteish

post-6902-0-63401600-1462543653_thumb.jpg

Another at Ais Gill summit, about the same date. I think the white blob is a bridge plate, not part of the buffer stop. Any white paint is long gone

post-6902-0-25265500-1462543718_thumb.jpg

Hth

Dave

I don't know if these help but they are at Crosby Garrett 1967, I think. The sidings are empty and rusty, but I can't see anything for mounting a lamp.

attachicon.gif3-10-2014.jpg

The e4nd loading dock one's face has been painted whiteish

attachicon.gif3-10-2020.jpg

Another at Ais Gill summit, about the same date. I think the white blob is a bridge plate, not part of the buffer stop. Any white paint is long gone

attachicon.gif2-19-2008_001.jpg

Hth

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this - in the ball park for the period that I'm modelling as well!

I think that this confirms that that these will be black with a white buffer beam face, albeit weathered with track/rust colour.

I'm inclined to think that there isn't a lamp on top of the buffer stop required in the station.

Many thanks again,

Kind regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be a lamp, AFAIK there aren't to this day on the remaining ones along the S&C. I don't recall seeing any pictures from any time with one either.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul

Sorry for a late reply.

Nothing for Little Salkeld but this is Kirkby Stephen. I may have posted this photo before but can't remember where. Photo was taken in 2011 but the buffer stop had obviously been there for a considerable time.

post-13274-0-44722000-1470173921.jpg

Regards

Alan

Hi, normal sidings didn't have an oil lamp at the bufferstop. Some railways did have a lamp on lye bye sidings but the Midland didn't bother. Generally lamps were on sidings at station platform roads or carriage sidings at stations. When I started doing cast bufferstops in 4mm I looked into casting a lamp on top but found there was no need as virtually every bufferstop was devoid of a lamp. In more modern times a post was planted behind and fitted with a lamp and this could be an oil lamp or later an electric lamp or two.

post-10324-0-33669500-1470212187.jpg

Alloa bay platform with 'stop' lamps, I'm told that if there was a parcel van in the bay it would carry a lamp too, I don't know if that was universal though. All other sidings on Alloa have no lamps as far as one can see in photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived