MRJ 247

decauville1126

• RMweb Gold

Another excellent issue (as we're coming to expect nowadays!)

Editor Paul Karau:

Hornby Colletts...Gerry Beale. Magic touch to finescaling and weathering.

Hebble Vale Goods...Stonework. Some fine demonstration on the use of Wills stone sheets. I've seen this work in the flesh and it really is good.

Shoc-High wagon build. Rumney Models.

The Old Toll House  Some nice architectural work.

Teak graining using transfers. Some very convincing work.

Metropolitan Jct pt 2

Researching Cheddar by 'Ullypug' of this parish.

• RMweb Gold

Looks promising.

Indeed it is.

Of particular interest to me is Karl Crowther's work with Wills random stone sheets and the joining up thereof. In the words of a well loved comedian about "spotting the join", well, you can't! In the flesh it really is good.

Also Gerry Beale's article on 'finescaling' the Colletts is most helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Oh come on chaps, I only got 246 yesterday in Shrewsbury!

A subscription beckons, but worryingly the mag says overseas rates on application, presumably the young Karau chap needs to hand deliver it, better get the factor 50 ready for him.

Mike.

My subscription copy arrived mid-morning.  It's a good'un.  There is much wisdom on Gerry Beale's article on doing up a Hornby Collett that may be applied to the BR liveried version.  Karl Crowther's piece on stonework is most timely for an ongoing project.  What is this?  A typo?!  In Ullypug's Cheddar article there is what I'm sure is an inadvertent reference to an '8' set.  Oh yes, and there is a letter from the man unkindly known to some as Mrs Trellis.  For the next couple of days, do not disturb.

Chris

Surely the cheese beloved of Wallace and Gromit is Wensleydale?

Quite so.

A visit to their creamery in Hawes is thoroughly recommended and if you choose the right day as we did you can travel in by classic bus.

But beware! Their shop has so many varieties - cranberry became my favourite - of Wensleydale that you'll spend a small fortune.

• RMweb Premium

What is this?  A typo?!  In Ullypug's Cheddar article there is what I'm sure is an inadvertent reference to an '8' set.

Chris

Oops. Not sure if that was me or not. I'll check the original. Apologies if it's me. An 8 kind of looks like a B if you squint enough...

Subscribers receive their copies directly from Cygnet, and usually a few days before the copy hits the shelves.

Unless there is an imminent exhibition due when the shop copies seem to take precedent over subscribers, entirely IMHO! But just to make completely clear I'm not complaining at all, I'm a subscriber and I never look at next due date. That way it's a nice surprise when like today it lands on my doorstep - whether is before or after the copy appears in WHS in Slough (or where ever) just doesn't bother me at all. 

I have long admired the work on Hebble Vale Goods via the em gauge website, http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk, with various family origins from the Halifax, Mytholmroyd and Burnley area this is extremely evocative bit of modelling. Unfortunately I think you have to go back 12 months for the last update, it's not really shown in the magazine but have a look at http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb107.htmlbut to see how the stone work is built in to the layout - it's stupendous!. Also as a long time speed enthusiast I really enjoyed the portfolio photos - immediately spotting Leo Villa!  I have built my own model of K7 and really like what Stephen Phillip's has done with his diorama. I really should get to the Ruskin Museum this summer!    

Archived