MRJ 247

decauville1126

• RMweb Gold

I found mine on the mat when we got back from a weekend away yesterday, a very agreeable surprise. Like John (Re6/6), I was particularly impressed by Karl Crowther's work, and Gerry Beale's work also never fails to impress. Also admired the LNWR loco built by Barry Norman. In general, an excellent all-round issue, where every article is of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed there is David.

Two full pages at the back with five nice atmospheric photos with full layout lists

Actually THREE pages at the back and a full-page advert at the front!

Ooh, and a photo of Charmouth...

Dave.

Another excellent issue (as we're coming to expect nowadays!)

Really surprised that the postie has delivered my subs copy really early this month (arrived this afternoon).

Not had time to read it yet but other than the rather fine paint job on loco on the cover (even that disappointed as I was hoping for a build inside) this issue goes in the pile along with last month's MRJ as not of great interest for me.

Very much a coach issue (I don't do coaches - especially not teak).

Though I probably will read the Old Toll House and Retaining Wall articles.

Four full pages advertising Railex ! I know it is the best show, but probably everyone who reads (or even glances at) MRJ knows that.

Looking forward to MRJ 248

I must admit to being intrigued by the teak graining transfers. Apart from the obvious these could be used for:

1. The interior of old tramcars. And I suspect interior details of many coaches of various companies.

2. Some early PO wagons that were turned out as 'varnished wood'. (This leaves the hard bit of doing the usually black shaded red lettering.)

3. Certain horseboxes and NPCS of my acquaintance.

Seems to be one of those 'obvious, why did no one think of this before' products.

Very much a coach issue (I don't do coaches - especially not teak).

I must admit to being intrigued by the teak graining transfers. Apart from the obvious these could be used for:

1. The interior of old tramcars. And I suspect interior details of many coaches of various companies.

2. Some early PO wagons that were turned out as 'varnished wood'. (This leaves the hard bit of doing the usually black shaded red lettering.)

3. Certain horseboxes and NPCS of my acquaintance.

Seems to be one of those 'obvious, why did no one think of this before' products.

Need think outside the box Kenton!

• RMweb Premium

The Strand had changed by the time I worked in London!

A good issue. Yes, definitely an interesting idea for varnished wood PO wagons. And despite Kenton's comment the article wasn't about a coach. It was NPCS. [Pedant mode off.]

Some very useful ideas elsewhere, too. And the Metropolitan Junction article makes me wonder how far we have progressed in the last 50 years.

And in Smiths on the advertised date.

Though once again, four copies of the previous issue left there unsold; and they only seem to have abolut half a dozen.

Jonathan

Yes indeed, but I regret to advise that you're disqualified from receiving a prize because you come from Chatteris   :nono:

Actually I don't.....I come from Mepal (4 miles down the road) :sarcastichand: .Have lived in Chatteris a while though.

Stewart

Just a couple of scale teazers this issue:  :secret:

Other than mention of Harris wheels (which some new-to-the-hobby folk may not have heard of), are there any clues in the article on Barry Norman's LNWR locomotive as to scale?

The Old Toll House - no mention of scale (just a hint re. Slater's brick sheet?) so requires reference of the previous article in MRJ174 or prior knowledge of  Walnhurst layout.

My late uncle used to often cycle to Shippea Hill to catch a train to Gt.Yarmouth.

Stewart

I'm sure Shippea Hill is very nice but one's memory is of bleak 'fenliness.'  If he was escaping why choose Great Yarmouth? Some sort of penance perhaps. :-)

I picked up #247 in WHS Norwich today on a rare venture into 'the fine city.' On skimming through my first thought was 'rather a lot of black and white photos.' Where the original is B&W obviously there is no option but for current imagining work this is the 21st century and nobody models in black and white so far as I know.  Grump over.

I'm sure Shippea Hill is very nice but one's memory is of bleak 'fenliness.'  If he was escaping why choose Great Yarmouth? Some sort of penance perhaps. :-)

…..

I'm sure it was Shippea Hill where I once got turfed out of a Sunday train from Norwich en route to Crewe, to wait for a bus to Ely due to engineering work.

Surveying the panorama from the dizzy heights of the platform, eventually I saw a bus enter stage left far distance.  It made its way slowly across the scene only to disappear stage right.

A while later it appeared stage right middle distance, and made its way slowly across the scene only to disappear again stage left.

I can't remember now how long this performance went on before it arrived at the station, but for sure it was the only entertainment on offer…….  post-17823-0-28420700-1463522547.gif

On skimming through my first thought was 'rather a lot of black and white photos.' Where the original is B&W obviously there is no option but for current imagining work this is the 21st century and nobody models in black and white so far as I know. 

Welcome to the world of MRJ.

Things are often done in a rather different way here.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I picked up #247 in WHS Norwich today on a rare venture into 'the fine city.' On skimming through my first thought was 'rather a lot of black and white photos.' Where the original is B&W obviously there is no option but for current imagining work this is the 21st century and nobody models in black and white so far as I know.  Grump over.

Black and white, luxury, in my day MRJ were sepia tinted prints.

Mike.

Is that possible? Spent time in, definitely. Existed in, quite possibly. Endured, quite probably. But "lived"?

Still, might explain a lot about all the rumours concerning fenlanders: not a lot (else) to do...

Oh I dunno, lot of inbreeding goes on (or so I'm told....)

Not only that it has become a tourist hotspot since the new ALDI was opened....

Stewart

PS - pedantic mode on - use the correct term Fen Tiger not Fenlander, please

Archived