MRJ 247

decauville1126

I have told this before, but it's always worth repeating:

A number of years ago when I lived in one of the more rural (read 'inbred') parts of Cambridgeshire, I went into our local newsagent looking for the Modeller.

After a few minutes of vainly browsing the shelves I asked the school leaver behind the counter if they kept it.

"I don't know", she replied. "What magazine was it?"

"Railway Modeller".

There followed a few moments of intense concentration as she stared at the same shelves I'd been looking at. Finally she asked,

"Is it a boat magazine, then?"

I moved in case my kids had to go to the same school.

OT, but are these parts in any way related to the Isle of Sheppey?

Most folks in the Fens seem to be related one way or another.....................................

I picked up #247 in WHS Norwich today on a rare venture into 'the fine city.' On skimming through my first thought was 'rather a lot of black and white photos.' Where the original is B&W obviously there is no option but for current imagining work this is the 21st century and nobody models in black and white so far as I know.  Grump over.

Best option is to drop them an email with your suggestion.

Black and white, luxury, in my day MRJ were sepia tinted prints.

Mike.

I do wish you hadn't mentioned that.....it might be interpreted as customer preference.   

To be fair to MRJ on a more measured browse today the number of B&W prints is less than I originally estimated although it does seem strange that new products are pictured thus and also the pics in the ad for Railex.

Best option is to drop them an email with your suggestion.

Ha ha!

Although other posts seem to have interpreted my OP as indicating fresh faced innocence where MRJ is concerned this is far from the being the situation. I have bought the journal on and off for many years so am familiar with it's vagaries - but I still find myself puzzled from time to time.

If it is to sell more it needs to become I would suggest more 'modern' to attract more people - I note one poster mentioning last month's copies still on the shelf.

Still nothing to do with me really.

....If it is to sell more it needs to become I would suggest more 'modern' to attract more people ....

I suspect the one thing that they don't want to do is to become more modern, otherwise they would lose their USP.

Update: actually, that's the last thing they'd do.

That was the point.

The fact that it needs explaining might lead those of a less generous disposition than I to suggest that you have reinforced the point...

(But obviously, I wouldn't say that. :) )

....and indeed you didn't, until you mentioned it just there  :mosking:

Well, one could, and whilst it would only require two tins of paint and no mixing of them, I suspect monochrome might be easier..

The Fens: 100 relatives for every 10 people...

SWMBO is 1 of 12 brothers & sisters. Just down the road was a family of 14.

Stewart

The Fens: 100 relatives for every 10 people...

Around here (Wensleydale) they say "kick one of us and we all limp".

One of my genetics lecturers (Dr Lottie Auerbach - imagine the German accent) said that the greatest genetic benefit was the invention of the country bus. It greatly improved heterozygosity. 

Lovely word, "heterozygosity"  :boast:

Ian

I think the railways did more for heterozygosity than the country bus: the latter just tied up the loose ends.

A place I used to work had both a regular passenger train service and was very well served by the local bus companies. It didn't seem to help there.

P

Transporting genetic material from one lab to another?

I'm sure the Oxford to Cambridge line must have been responsible for some inter-collegiate coupling! Whether such activities happened in the lab is best left unanswered*.

* As I went to the other 'great university'**, I have no idea what Oxbridge students got up to!

** cf. Blackadder goes forth.

Archived