Mashima to close down

Andy Y

Due to the closure of Mashima, I have had a considerable increase in the number of orders for my Mitsumi motors - see http://www.cctrans.org.uk/ and  http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog/compo/motorav/m15n3series_e.html - and stocks are running low.

In order that I may determine whether to restock these motors and, if so, how many to order it would help if any member who has, or is likely to have need for these motors to either order ASAP or to notify me of the extent of their anticipated requirement.

In the latter case, a simple PM or an e-mail to cctrans@hotmail.com, indicating your anticipated requirement during, say, the next twelve months would be appreciated. There would, of course, be no subsequent obligation to purchase.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's interesting that both LRM and High Level are still quoting Mashima motors on their websites. I know that LRM don't have any because I've had an email conversation with John Redrup on this matter.

I wonder why the kit manufacturers aren't going over to Mashima.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting that both LRM and High Level are still quoting Mashima motors on their websites. I know that LRM don't have any because I've had an email conversation with John Redrup on this matter.

I wonder why the kit manufacturers aren't going over to Mashima.

Regards

I purchased several gearboxes from HL recently and he is working through his existing stock of Mashima motors.

Had a try of one of these Chinese motors off ebay, not particularly impressed.... not much torque at low revs where we need it. Matched with a decent gearbox like HighLevel they might be okay for light use but I'll be sticking with Mashima's for the next wee while until something else appears, there are other manufacturers of quality motors out there.

Been using Sagami and Mashimas cans for over thirty years and never had a failure.

Mashima's are still available from a number of stockists.

Dave Franks.

I have a bunch of Mitsumi's as above which come with a spur gear at the end.  So can anyone suggest a decent gear puller?

I have bought the Expo version https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Minature-Gear-Puller-26241.html  and have never bought anything so utterly useless.  There are 2 faults.  Firstly the angle on the outside of the jaws means the shaft is never going to be at 90 degrees to the push rod.  Secondly, neither of the 2 push rods were straight.  The combination is useless.  I understand why I have never seen them on traders stands at exhibitions.

I hope its not too o/t but as you can see from the thread there are a lot of motors need de-gearing as step 1.

• RMweb Premium

I have a bunch of Mitsumi's as above which come with a spur gear at the end.  So can anyone suggest a decent gear puller?

I have bought the Expo version https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Minature-Gear-Puller-26241.html  and have never bought anything so utterly useless.  There are 2 faults.  Firstly the angle on the outside of the jaws means the shaft is never going to be at 90 degrees to the push rod.  Secondly, neither of the 2 push rods were straight.  The combination is useless.  I understand why I have never seen them on traders stands at exhibitions.

I hope its not too o/t but as you can see from the thread there are a lot of motors need de-gearing as step 1.

Something like this should work http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Walkera-W010-Gear-Pinion-Puller-Remover-Tools-Set-For-RC-Motor-Pinion-Parts-SH-/252497870950?hash=item3aca0bc066:g:QNsAAOSwV0RXrfAO

I've goy an earlier version with a fixed lower plate and it works very well.

Regards

Michael

• Like 1

I had some gears to remove for a colleague and found that my 'GW' puller wouldn't look at it. Put the brass gear in a vice and squeezed hard, turned 90' and squeezed again, the soft brass gear almost fell off.... All five done in a few minutes.

HTH.

Dave Franks

I had some gears to remove for a colleague and found that my 'GW' puller wouldn't look at it. Put the brass gear in a vice and squeezed hard, turned 90' and squeezed again, the soft brass gear almost fell off.... All five done in a few minutes.

HTH.

Dave Franks

I have a GW gear puller, but I can't work out how to apply it. I'd be grateful for a 'GW Gear Puller for Tiny Tots' explanation.

Regards

Some of these can motors, as I posted above with a gearbox,

are used in professional video equipment. I don't think they can

all be junk.

If Mashima are so good, I am surprised the Customer List, Tooling 

and Rights of the business is not bought by a competitor.

We have seen this happen too often as generations change.

N.

Edited by Dazzler Fan

Some of these can motors, as I posted above with a gearbox,

are used in professional video equipment. I don't think they can

all be junk.

If Mashima are so good, I am surprised the Customer List, Tooling 

and Rights of the business is not bought by a competitor.

We have seen this happen too often as generations change.

N.

Apparently the supply of magnets used by Mashima had ceased. The tooling was reportedly also getting to the end of its working life. Mr Mashima also wishec to retire.

Such things do happen and, despite the economic opportunity apparently afforded by taking over the role of supplier, few people are willing to do it.

Mashimas have very good quality and they work well, but they are also expensive. You are able to buy three pole Mitsumis under one euro, but the price of five pole Mashimas is typically almost ten euros or more. Technically five pole Mashimas are better than three pole Mitsumis, but not ten times better. In many cases three pole Mitsumis is enough for giving good running for locomotives. That´s why massproduction locomotive models have cheaper motors than Mashimas. I have used coreless motors like Maxon or Faulhaber in many models and also in many kits we have produced in Finland. In my personal opinion Maxons are one of the best motors I have every used — they are small and powerfull and silent and they work extremely well when you are driving slowly. But they are also very expensive — about 30-50 euros depending on how many motors you are buying at once. Typically enthusiasts are not ready to pay 30-50 euros extra price for getting the kit with coreless motor — Mitsumis like motors are typically enough for most of enthusiasts, especially in DCC times. You are able to test this by producing the kit with alternative motors choice — 15 euros extra price for Mashimas and 50 extra price for Maxons.

Here is the underframe of Finnish locomotive kit with coreless Maxon — too expensive for most of enthusiasts. Underframe with Mitsumi like or Mashima like motor is typically enough.

pQr0ku.jpg

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Like 1

Here you can see the underframe with centrifugal clutch and with massive flywheel made by my friend from our club in Helsinki. Components were made by Swedish company named Brimalm Engineerign and the brand name of system was Dyna Drive — not available any more.

dr13002.jpg

... and here is the underframe with Mashima and with two flywhees...

0qls.jpg

.... for this locomotive model. The prototype was one of the first diesel locomotive designs ever made in Finland in 1950´s.

t8th.jpg

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Like 6

....centrifugal clutch and with massive flywheel made by my friend from our club in Helsinki. Components were made by Swedish company named Brimalm Engineering and the brand name of system was Dyna Drive — not available any more.

Yes, it was available here via Formil Model Engineering (John Lythgoe) for a number of years, before being made available direct by Brimalm. Always thought it was a shame they stopped making the clutch; I managed to acquire three. Fascinating components

Mashimas have very good quality and they work well, but they are also expensive. You are able to buy three pole Mitsumis under one euro, but the price of five pole Mashimas is typically almost ten euros or more. Technically five pole Mashimas are better than three pole Mitsumis, but not ten times better. In many cases three pole Mitsumis is enough for giving good running for locomotives. That´s why massproduction locomotive models have cheaper motors than Mashimas. I have used coreless motors like Maxon or Faulhaber in many models and also in many kits we have produced in Finland. In my personal opinion Maxons are one of the best motors I have every used — they are small and powerfull and silent and they work extremely well when you are driving slowly. But they are also very expensive — about 30-50 euros depending on how many motors you are buying at once. Typically enthusiasts are not ready to pay 30-50 euros extra price for getting the kit with coreless motor — Mitsumis like motors are typically enough for most of enthusiasts, especially in DCC times. You are able to test this by producing the kit with alternative motors choice — 15 euros extra price for Mashimas and 50 extra price for Maxons.

Here is the underframe of Finnish locomotive kit with coreless Maxon — too expensive for most of enthusiasts. Underframe with Mitsumi like or Mashima like motor is typically enough.

pQr0ku.jpg

The 3 pole Mitsumis may be fine for DCC but what about those of us who run DC plus like the convenience of using Highlevel gear boxes with easy fixings etc. I guess its a case of wait and see what alternatives crop up from the gearbox suppliers