Mashima to close down

Andy Y

Many of the motors available through ebay and the likes are lower voltage - usually 5 volts - and presumably produced for battery powered applications. Some have been produced for specific applications such as DVD drives.

I want 5v motors, for radio controlled locos, but haven't found many that are suitable. Where are these "many" of them?

How about suggesting to DJ Models to approach his suppliers for "spare" motors as used in his models.

Brian

I thought that one of the problems with the DJ Models products was the fact they can't pull the skin off a rice pudding? Plenty of posts on the Class 71 thread about it's poor haulage capacity compared to the "other" model.

Jason

If you want to use batteries, 3.7v motors may be a better bet. 5v motors tend to be used for computer peripherals.

I can't find many around 3 volts either, but Jol mentioned 5v so that's what I was replying too :). I'd like any suggestions for 3, 3.3, 3.7, 5, 6, 7.4 or anything else under 12 volts!

Edited by BG John

I want 5v motors, for radio controlled locos, but haven't found many that are suitable. Where are these "many" of them?

John,

when I have looked on ebay, Aliexpress and other sites, they seem to crop up quite frequently. Nigel Lawton lists some small 6v motors on his website.

As you say though, finding suitable ones (size, shaft diameter, etc.) can be the problem.

Jol

I can't find many around 3 volts either, but Jol mentioned 5v so that's what I was replying too :). I'd like any suggestions for 3, 3.3, 3.7, 5, 6, 7.4 or anything else under 12 volts!

Here are some

How about suggesting to DJ Models to approach his suppliers for "spare" motors as used in his models.

Brian

These motors are available form Nigel Lawton.

They're very fast. I think I'd seen those, but wondered how controllable they are for ambling round goods yards, rather than defying gravity and getting in the way of the local birds! Having seen some people's comments on coreless motors, I think that put me off two, although I suppose they must be fine with PWM and H-bridge motor controllers.

John,

when I have looked on ebay, Aliexpress and other sites, they seem to crop up quite frequently. Nigel Lawton lists some small 6v motors on his website.

As you say though, finding suitable ones (size, shaft diameter, etc.) can be the problem.

Jol

I've only recently started using AliExpress, so hadn't looked there. I've bought various 3, 6 and 12v motors, but haven't tried them yet. I'm not sure how to evaluate them without building them into a loco, by which time it's a bit late!

They're very fast. I think I'd seen those, but wondered how controllable they are for ambling round goods yards, rather than defying gravity and getting in the way of the local birds! Having seen some people's comments on coreless motors, I think that put me off two, although I suppose they must be fine with PWM and H-bridge motor controllers.

There's a 14xx fitted with one of these motors on this page. From what I've seen of it it is perfectly controllable and the really nice thing about it is that it load allows. i.e. it will accelerate faster when light engine than when it has a load.

There's a 14xx fitted with one of these motors on this page. From what I've seen of it it is perfectly controllable and the really nice thing about it is that it load allows. i.e. it will accelerate faster when light engine than when it has a load.

On what page? I couldn't find one in this topic.