Ex Coronation Scot coaches in BR livery

steve fay

I'm building up some stock for my next layout. I like to have a bit of variety for my Manchester to Swansea trains. I was wondering if the ex coronation Scot stock would have been broken up and used in ordinary service? Does any one have any pictures of the stock in BR liveries?

Thanks

From the American train that never ran in this country as the Coronation Scot set. One of the brake first coaches was used on the North Wales Land Cruise train in the 1950s in crimson and cream, along with a number of other interesting vehicles.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

Quite a lot about these in Jenkinson/Essery.

The 1937 stock, quite ordinary Period 3 stock except for seating arrangements, got spread around as ordinary service stock even though there was much less seating.

The 1939/40 stock was more difficult to find a use for as it ideally needed complete set to run together. So preferred use was on Southport "Club" trains to Liverpool and Manchester and on the Land Cruise train mentioned above.

Robert Carroll's excellent Yahoo group offers a few images and bits of information. There's a photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/13798768865/ ; the penultimate vehicle is an ex-Coronation Scot BSK at Dore & Totley on a Sheffield to Chinley stopper.

Mr Carroll wrote in the context of the LMR Central Lines 1951 Summer Passenger Train Marshalling Book  "Things that caught my eye included 1940 Coronation Scot vehicles, mixed formations of gangwayed and non-gangwayed stock and the high proportion of first class accommodation in some trains, notably between Manchester and the Lancashire Coast - possibly because of the number of Manchester businessmen who lived in towns such as Southport, Lytham or St Annes."

By 1959 they were in use from both Southport and Blackpool on services to and from Manchester Victoria. These included the articulated twins.

With reference to Edward Talbot's book on the Coronation Scot and in Part III of the Jenkinson/Essery LMS Coaches series, Mr Carroll comments that "the Jenkinson book notes that the Central Division agreed to take 23 of the 1940 Coronation Scot vehicles (most of which were completed post-war) for Manchester Victoria-Southport services in set trains in 1947. The remaining six (Semi-RFO+RFO, Semi-RTO+TK, loose TO and loose TK) were offered to the Western Division.

"The first recorded working of the 1940 stock was in October 1947 on a Blackpool-Liverpool residential turn, formed BFK+FK, Semi-TO+TK, TK+BTK. The firsts were the American set and the thirds were those built to complete the American train.

"The book also notes that the American RK+RTO pair was an early withdrawal, in 1952, apparently without running in service in the UK."

They certainly appeared in excursion sets into the 1960s working in the north west and North Wales.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/7319540226/in/photolist-c9Nyiq-oGHmpi-6iVxrY-nPjN3L-8TqeMR-cu7mp7-dQRbRv-9PsX9c-nPk1T4-aDUh8D-6URGRN-8TqeMH-cf9yiA-ArEpa5-aoQzJA-g3SobW-qkxcwH-cYbypw-e3bTfW-dvfQXk-bsCqYW-ccWzH7-ficNhh-FKWEfT-so8zdj-pAK5uY-ncniVF-oXbhc9-oY8oxf-oGHYuT-4JauU9-7jw7Ek-6XRwnL-gUk857-dmzqco-aDEDLc-bQ3Twi-rsGVer-o6PoF6-eKBLQC-dTcunQ-eNGD5H-fnrPys-aEmMsa-b3CHGc-4ANsQ5-dSY6A3-pfvEyd-aEmSyY-aE1iM6

shows an articulated twin restaurant second/corridor second M56302/56303M at Northampton, c1960 as part of a Euston - Northampton set.

Archived