Larkrail - Sat 16th July 2016 - Bath

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

See you there, Mike.

I reckon so Tim - and good you posted this as I checked it against the invoice for the week on the briny which caused me to find that was dated for August, not July, which led to some busy 'phone lines twixt the Thames Valley and Harwich. all now sorted and I getting a  credit note for an invoice I haven't yet paid :scratchhead: 

As far as Larkrail goes I shall be wearing my RMweb badge so will be instantly avoidable recognisable but don't tell anyone if you seeme talking to Paul Karau in case they think i've gone all finescale or somesuch.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is a link from another thread. I think that says Sat 18 July which is wrong.

Great selection of layouts and demos. Unfortunately, I have work commitments that day.

Edit: That link is really wrong! It goes to a poster for last year's show.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

Is there a bus service that takes you close to the venue ?

There is, First's 6 & 7 from the bus station next to the railway station https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/plan-journey/timetables/?print=pdf&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=15328951&operator=3&day=2 to Larkhall Square. The bus stop is a little past the Square itself, opposite the Co-Op, but a footpath leads off left from the bus stop to the exhibition venue which is about 50m away.

There is, First's 6 & 7 from the bus station next to the railway station https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/plan-journey/timetables/?print=pdf&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=15328951&operator=3&day=2 to Larkhall Square. The bus stop is a little past the Square itself, opposite the Co-Op, but a footpath leads off left from the bus stop to the exhibition venue which is about 50m away.

Thank you Adrian very useful exactly what I need

Cheers

G

• RMweb Premium

Badly photoshopped map:

post-1328-0-63009400-1465901928.jpg

From the original:

First Network Map.pdf

The No: 13 bus leaves from outside Sainsburys, opposite the bus and railway stations (the map above doesn't show this clearly), you will need to get off at Lambridge and walk up Lambridge Street (past  via the Titfield Thunder Bolt Bookshop) to Larkhall Square and on to Brookleaze Buildings, where the hall is located.

post-1328-0-20924400-1465907142.jpg

Happy Camping!

On the way back, if you take the No: 13, get off at the Bus Station otherwise you'll end up in bandit country... I know I live there!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Adrian very useful exactly what I need

Cheers

G

Previously the 'day runabout' thingy ticket has offered better value than buying two singles.  

The return 'bus stop is right outside the hall - and both are of course but a short step from Mr Castens excellent retail emporium where it is advisable only to tread if you either feel are wealthy or have a slush fund suitably secreted from she who might ask awkward questions.  (I'm not saying don't go there but it seems inevitable that you will not leave empty handed as there is an excellent range of diverse subjects on the shelves and thus might face interrogation on return home).

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Tim for providing that most excellent "how to get there" post, you are indeed a most splendid fellow.

Just finalising details, but:

Layout-wise Peter Kirmond is bringing the full "Laramie" as seen at Railex, Tim Tinknell is bringing his EM "Chewton Mendip" in S&D blue guise and John Greenwood is bringing  "St Blazey Roundhouse" up from Wadebridge, assisted by the Jerry Clifford and his 2mm Roadshow. At the other end of the scale I am pleased to welcome back Thomas Twigg returning with "Tillbrook Lane". Featured in Railway Modeller last year it shows there is perhaps yet hope for this wonderful hobby of ours. Other layouts to follow...

Demonstrators will include the estimable Iain Rice up from Devon, Highland guru Simon De Souza from Reading, Laurie Griffin, Justin Newitt and his Rumney Models, Gordon and Maggie Gravett, Dave Easto with his Gauge One scratch building, Dennis Lepper with a figure and G1 locomotive painting display, Roger Bird with his exquisite Tralee and Dingle diorama and models and more besides.

Traders are limited to the "Gas Cupboard" from Trowbridge and Brian Osborn's ever useful "Branchlines" stand.

The Titfield Thunderbolt the best stocked (and only) railway bookshop in the West is however a mere spit away from the hall, just past the pub and cafe.

I'm currently contemplating the floorplan, there will be no barriers.

As if all that weren't inducement enough Captain Kernow is also promising to put in an appearance in his banana selling/all round good egg capacity - so it should be a good 'un!

Unrestricted on street parking available around Larkhall, but bear in mind this is Bath so public transport is consequently highly recommended!

LARKRAIL 2016 Poster PDF.pdf

I think that's about it for the moment. Blimey I feel exhausted already - I'd better go and have a nice quiet sit down..........

Simon

• Like 3

Previously the 'day runabout' thingy ticket has offered better value than buying two singles.  

The return 'bus stop is right outside the hall - and both are of course but a short step from Mr Castens excellent retail emporium where it is advisable only to tread if you either feel are wealthy or have a slush fund suitably secreted from she who might ask awkward questions.  (I'm not saying don't go there but it seems inevitable that you will not leave empty handed as there is an excellent range of diverse subjects on the shelves and thus might face interrogation on return home).

That'll mean some strange faces on the train home as far as I'm concerned Mike.

You've obviously never seen a single bloke arguing with himself on a crowded train using some strange westcountry interrogation techniques about spending his pension ! :)

• RMweb Gold

That'll mean some strange faces on the train home as far as I'm concerned Mike.

You've obviously never seen a single bloke arguing with himself on a crowded train using some strange westcountry interrogation techniques about spending his pension ! :)

Oh I dunno - you meet some strange folk on trains.

BTW no need for being 'friendly and supportive - I've got a suitable 'slush fund' which on occasion I carefully mingle with debit card purchasing to make things look restrained.  However the f&s bit is probably relevant when arriving home and adding yet another book or three to the stack awaiting shelf space.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As if all that weren't inducement enough Captain Kernow is also promising to put in an appearance in his banana selling/all round good egg capacity - so it should be a good 'un!

Good egg sarnies will cost you extra.

Good egg sarnies will cost you extra.

Add a sausage from the butchers, some lettuce from the farm shop and mayo from the Co-Op and a veritable feast awaits for the more adventurous ! LOL

post-20303-0-07194100-1465940791.jpeg

J.Oliver

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Add a sausage from the butchers, some lettuce from the farm shop and mayo from the Co-Op and a veritable feast awaits for the more adventurous ! LOL

J.Oliver

It's called The Larkhall Inn and they sell crisps Jamie.

F. Anny

Edited by Tim Dubya

It's called The Larkhall Inn and they sell crisps Jamie.

F.Anny

By the time I get there it'll be renamed The Bugg€r All Inn and Gary Lineker will have probably eaten all the potato products !

Johnny

• RMweb Premium

Lesley's Scrumptious Railway Refreshments will be available in the hall.

I gather that The Captain's Curvaceous Crusts are also being served on the day.

Mrs I. Beet-On

Edited by Tim Dubya