Has anyone completed a Double track module?

Dungrange

A relatively simple question, but has anyone built a double track module?

Getting the track spacing between the two tracks is straightforward, because PECO produce their red plastic track spacing gauge.  I have a couple of those.  However, I'm less sure how or even if I can ensure that the center line of the double track is in the exact center of the board.  My baseboards are assembled from Tim Horn kits, so can be interconnected by steel dowels and bolts and I would rather use this method to connect my own modules together rather than buy a large number of G clamps to hold each module to the next and it would be useful if they could be assembled in various configurations.  However, this is only really viable if the track is exactly in the center of the baseboard.  Is there any way to ensure that I get the track correct, or do I just have to accept a lot of G clamps?

Thinking about it, I assume that the same issue arises for single track modules if they were also to be interchangeable.

• 1 month later...

I use dowels only at modules which were always connected the same way. Interchangeable modules are connected only with M6 bolts and wingnuts, sitting in bigger holes (8 to 10mm dia) to allow adjusting. A connection with G clamps is possible, but not needed. Electrical connections are laid through another hole. So it's possible to place the whole module combination on tables or other even surfaces. 

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I've not built one, but have helped assemble double track Freemo modules, which have much the same standards. Because the module ends have no positive locating elements, if your double track is centred a few mil from the centre of the board end, it doesn't matter, when clamping you match the rails and don't worry that the facias of the boards don't quite line up. As you say, the spacing between the tracks is important, but the jig takes care of that.

Also, remember that a module may consist of more than one board, you can align boards within a module however you want.

If you want to use your own multiple modules together and bolt them, then as Teetrix says, you just need a slightly oversized hole and align the track as you tighten the nuts. However you will need clamps when you go to a meet anyway (or rely on other people having spares)

Archived