Combwich revisited

Chris Nevard

You might have seen this stuff in the gallery, but in finest satellite TV style here's the +1 version for those who missed it earlier....

The station building based on Glastonbury with Edington Junction's canopy and dates from around 1983, it was rebuilt around 8 years ago. I note some bits that need glueing down again! The front of the station is never normally seen other than by operators on the odd occasion this layout gets out.

The Star is made from the sort of stuff that's normally recycled, was about 20 hours work and cost maybe 20p for the plastic rod and paint - the hobby need not cost alot. It's based on a cobbler which used to be in Weybridge (Surrey) around 100 years ago - now long gone.

post-6681-126807029588_thumb.jpg

The Star public house on the quayside at Combwich. Ivan Locksmith's old Austin has certainly been getting around recently. Note the modern metal casks (carrying a keg beer called 'Tantivy') that make the elderly Austin look rather out of place - though of course in those pre MOT days it was quite common to see pre-war cars on the roads even in the 1960's.

Starkey Knight and Ford was a well known Tiverton and Bridgwater brewery which sadly became swallowed up by brewing giant Whitbread in the 1960's. Their beers started to be replaced with Whitbread ales from around 1966 in the pubs

post-6681-126807022612_thumb.jpg

Templecombe's Midland 4F No. 44417 is captured running around the 1.15pm service from Evercreech Junction at Combwich. Notice the disused narrow gauge tramway embedded into the quay.

post-6681-12680702567_thumb.jpg

Combwich Station, taken in the summer of '66 a few months after most the former S&DJR system closed (6 March 1966). The building was finally demolished in 1976 and is now the site of a Morrisons supermarket. SDJR fan will note the architectural similarity between Combwich and Glastonbury stations.

post-6681-126807034442_thumb.jpg

The Star on the quayside at Combwich was a right rough old joint. Suspected arson raised the pub to the ground on 1973. An amusement arcade is on this spot now.

post-6681-126807037541_thumb.jpg

The rear of the Star at Combwich was a bit of a mess too. Rumour has it that the landlord's dogs used to lick the pint glasses clean. The beer was so sour it's unlikely that the canine smell on the glasses would have been noticed.

Ahhh, holiday haunts from Mrs 'CHARD's cider the house. Many a time have we ended up there in the name of nostalgic yen, last time this model had an airing she was persuaded by evil old me that a branch from Bridgwater had really been built. Chris, this is one of my all time favourites and I love it, in fact we all do here at Teviotbank Towers. Thanks so much for sharing. icon_clap.gif

• RMweb Gold

Chris, so glad you were there to record this little bit of railway, so much was left until it was too late and all the photos show such dereliction. So glad you were there and got some great shots so inspiring to us modellers.

Hi Mate...

Love the Photos... got a bif of that Old West look about it...

Keep the Photos coming...? Do you have Track Plan of the Layout and Sizes of the boards it's on...?

Cheers Jamie

Thanks chaps,

The baseboards are all different sizes as the layout's been extended and widened a few times in its 30 years of existence. Whilst its scenic section is just 10 foot long, it's not the easiest layout to cart around to shows, hence its last outing was in 2004.

The layout is next due out to Wycrail in November, where it's hoped that we'll be able to run trains between Tim Maddocks' Bleakhouse Road somehow or other.

After that, I hope to have sorted out a railway room, where one of the possibilities is to extend the layout into a 'U' shape and possibly incorporate Catcott into it as a removable section in the other side of the room.

Quite whether the layout will go out on the road again is debatable after WycRail, but there are certainly no plans to scrap the layout and as already mentioned I have various thoughts of incorporating it into something bigger.

A few more snaps.....

post-6681-12680951169_thumb.jpg

post-6681-126809515105_thumb.jpg

post-6681-126809517298_thumb.jpg

post-6681-126809528461_thumb.jpg

post-6681-126818118016_thumb.jpg

With the change of regional boundaries and the operation of the former S&DJR route becoming under the control of the Western Region from 1958, ex GWR locomotives started to appear in place of Midland engines. Here we have Templecombe's ex GWR pannier tank No. 4691 as it prepares to leave Combwich with the 11.15am service to Templecombe on the 12th September 1961.

• RMweb Gold

I particularly like the shot of the Hymek and harbour ... well, I like them all, but that one especially: wonderful depth and texture and atmosphere. Good to see this has a long life ahead of it, Chris.

• RMweb Gold
The layout is next due out to Wycrail in November, where it's hoped that we'll be able to run trains between Tim Maddocks' Bleakhouse Road somehow or other

This will be 'interesting!'....

Due to topographical issues, a direct connection for uninterrupted through running is unlikely to be possible.

However, due to the anticipated close proximity of the two land masses, work has begun in the Royal Airship Corps workshops near Burrowbridge Camp on a new kind of dirigible, capable of lifting a standard Kernow train cassette by way of an 'air bridge' between the two railway systems.

It is hoped that the Combwich railway authorities will have completed a temporary Docking Station in time for the Wycrail Show, thus enabling the exchange of complete trains between the two sections of railway to take place... ;) :D

However, due to the anticipated close proximity of the two land masses, work has begun in the Royal Airship Corps workshops near Burrowbridge Camp on a new kind of dirigible, capable of lifting a standard Kernow train cassette by way of an 'air bridge' between the two railway systems.

Will any special signaling be required or some token exchange system in use?

• RMweb Gold

Will any special signaling be required or some token exchange system in use?

It will only be a short section between the two block posts, and the Regulations for Working Restricted Airspaces by Electric Dirigible Token Regulations will apply... :lol:

This is the layout which actually enticed me back into the world of model railways. I happened to come across it by chance on your website and from there I discovered your other layouts too - all simply excellent stuff. I enjoyed reading about the history of Combwich 'the layout' and how it has been expanded and improved over quite a few years. I particularly like how each building has an identity which I guess is the bonus of working with a prototype location.

I really enjoy seeing layouts that are developed gradually and which are extended and/or improved over a period of time. Layouts where the individual buildings are also under continuous development and where each have their own history. Not only do these layouts make excellent viewing but they also make enthralling reading too. With Combwich there is just so much interest and it has to be one of my very favourite layouts.

• 1 month later...

First post for ages.......

An ex Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 'Pug' No 51202 shunts the wharf sidings at Combwich in early October 1955.

The loco is a repainted a detailed up Hornby, the van a Chivers Finelines LNER Dia 120 4W BY Pigeon Brake Van kit.

The top photograph is 3 identically composed shots, but focussed on different key points. The images were then combined with 'Helicon Focus' to extend the depth of field. Natural window light was used. The sky has been added as an extra layer to hide the spare bedroom wall. Getting such a great depth of field makes everything look so much bigger!

gallery_6681_767_333235.jpg

gallery_6681_767_267140.jpg

The wagon's construction has been blogged here http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/

Cheers - no layouts for a bit until I've built the new railway room, so I'm doing a few wagons to keep my hand in there. There's something about brakes, parcels stock and BR carmine - I like the way it takes weathering!

Next (apart from adding some brake pipes to this one) I have a LNER Extra Long CCT (4 Wheel) and a GWR 'Fruit D' Van (Diag. Y11) to do. I might be bold and do one in BR Maroon just to be a bit racy!

post-6681-127284787172_thumb.jpg

You,sir, are an extremely gifted chap, so much so that instead of taking SWMBO to the Swanage Railway this morning, I'm seriously considering converting my 00 Scale terminus-to firewood!!Thanks for all the pleasure and inspiration that your creations give us all.Tim.

Archived