66779 then Bachmann ?

ronnie thommo

Dave Lowery is GBRf's Corporate modeller and has produced a number of 779's, using the Bachmann OO model, which where subsequently issued to GB's VIP's.

....and Dave obtained permission to produce an extra one for Model Rail to offer as a competition prize - see the July issue. Model Rail has no current plan to commission a limited edition. (CJL)

• Like 2

....and Dave obtained permission to produce an extra one for Model Rail to offer as a competition prize - see the July issue. Model Rail has no current plan to commission a limited edition. (CJL)

I'm sure someone will !

On E Bay this week there is a 746 and a 779 that has been painted up.

Mind you, looking closely, they don't look like they've been done very well, ( just my opinion )

Talking to the Bachmann rep at the DEMU last weekend, he didn't rule anything out, as they have new  printing technology that they use nowadays, which makes easy work out of reproducing the more awkward liveries like the ones we are talking about. This though, is also one of the reasons they have hacked up their prices, but I saw the TfL examples there and they really are top draw.

I have purchased 66434 recently, and I know it could be my imagination, but I think the standard of the finish and decal printing is getting higher and higher, probably due to the new technology stated above.

I dilly dallied about getting that one as it is a bit of a drab colour scheme from DRS that one, but when you look at it close up, it another great shed !

The only thing for me though, is that these loco's are retailing around the £125 mark, and then there is the decoder price on top, so you are looking around £150 approx. for one loco now.

It's getting very expensive.

Any overtime going boss ???

I have purchased 66434 recently, and I know it could be my imagination, but I think the standard of the finish and decal printing is getting higher and higher, probably due to the new technology stated above.

The only thing for me though, is that these loco's are retailing around the £125 mark, and then there is the decoder price on top, so you are looking around £150 approx. for one loco now.

It's getting very expensive.

I remember buying the very first one at the Warley show, they were £44.95...

The tools have probably paid for themselves several times over, it's a bumper time for 66's this year...

Agree with you on the new DRS loco's, they look plain but are also very smart, I was tempted with 434 and the new F/L one....

post-732-0-09777000-1465317563.jpg

post-732-0-76839600-1465318043.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

Will have to agree that the printing is absolutely flawless on these new models. I'm so glad that technology has progressed in this department and can't wait to see the 66's produced for the LTM. I'm just hoping now that Bachmann do start to produce the more complex liveries on certain DMU's which have been worn for a fair few years now *****(FGW local lines cough cough)*****

I wouldn't know where to start. Does that company sell full PCB's with all lights all already installed and functions coded?

regards,

darryl

Unfortunately it's not a company. Though if you do email Martin he is a very kind and helpful man and will go out his way to help you in the best way he can. He has helped me on numerous projects that I have completed - which I wouldn't have been able to do without Martins help and wiring diagrams.

It's a shame there aren't companies out there that offer a complete installation service on upgrading model lights as per the prototypes. I know express models provide lighting and PCB's but if you're not clued up on fitting and reprogramming, it can be one hell of a minefield!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I don't take a lot of interest in the 66s even though I spend half my life on them but someone showed me their powerhaul livery one and the London transport one and I have to say they are stunning models and the printing is outstanding. So they should do a lovely job with the evening star should they do it

Maybe 66779 might happen, although I doubt 66746 or 66743 because they are limited to hauling the Royal Scotsman rake ( 8 heavily modified mk1 pullmans and 2 mk3 sleepers) and I doubt this could ever happen in RTR. Yes, they often assist (and rescue) the 73/9s on the Caledonian Sleeper on all non-electrified sections, but I still not convinced this is enough to justify one in RTR. 

Maybe 66779 might happen, although I doubt 66746 or 66743 because they are limited to hauling the Royal Scotsman rake ( 8 heavily modified mk1 pullmans and 2 mk3 sleepers) and I doubt this could ever happen in RTR. Yes, they often assist (and rescue) the 73/9s on the Caledonian Sleeper on all non-electrified sections, but I still not convinced this is enough to justify one in RTR.

At the end of the Royal Scotsman season, they have been placed back in general use and are now turning up on freight. 66743 has recently been hauling aggregates trains for example

• RMweb Gold

At the end of the Royal Scotsman season, they have been placed back in general use and are now turning up on freight. 66743 has recently been hauling aggregates trains for example

Indeed - 746 has worked an intermodal to Felixstowe.

Lunch today saw them ..

66743 GBFM BOWDEPTGB 526M47CG13 4 * BARDONHLQ N 15D A

66746 GBFM TYNEDK GB 134S661613 0 * GREENBNGB N 14D A

• Like 1

Didn't stop Harburn hobbies comissioning Lima to do 37428 in Royal Scotsman livery back in the 1990's, although they did say they had no plans to do the coaches then I presume that bit still stands. However the prospect of someone making a model that is different, albeit a different livery is likely - again I suspect it will be Harburn who do it.

when it comes to modelling you can never say never, the more unusual the livery the more you tend to find that modellers and collectors want one.

Probably to do with breaking some of the "dullness" of seeing the same basic livery over and over again*, go out on the real railway anywhere and whats the chances of seeing Evening Star or one of the 2 Royal Scotsman examples, chances are if Bachmann did all 3 there would be at least one layout that featured them all. Variety is the spice of life as they say

* Disclaimer: I am not trying to say the modern liveries are dull but as with any time I am sure we can all agree the idea of a constant stream of engines all in the same livery be it GWR Green, BR Blue, EWS/Freightliner or GBRF or whoever is not that interesting and you need something to break that up a bit

• 4 weeks later...