Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

Many paviours are larger than standard bricks, so a sheet of 1/35 brickwork can represent O Gauge brick paving when laid flat. A nice sheet which could be used in yards as well as internal floors is Tamiya item 87168**360, Diorama Brickwork. This will give you paviours approx. 13 ins by 5 ins for 7mm scale.

John

• RMweb Gold

Paul/John,

Many thanks for that. You've opened my eyes to brickwork :)  I never knew bricks were laid differently on floors to walls, and have to admit, i've never heard of paviours!  :dontknow:   I'll go have a look at that Tamiya brickwork sheeting.  

Cheers
Rich

• RMweb Gold

It is well worth investigating the world inhabited by military, maritime and even aviation modellers. There are all sorts of items that can be adapted to our use.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Another good tip!  Are there any particular suppliers or websites you would recommend/advise looking at?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

I never knew there was a real Marsh Lane Box!! No relation at all, although it would have made sorting the signalling out far easier if it was!  Fascinating!  I'll be in touch with you shortly, things are moving forward ... albeit a bit slowly, but i'll drop you an email.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Many paviours are larger than standard bricks, so a sheet of 1/35 brickwork can represent O Gauge brick paving when laid flat. A nice sheet which could be used in yards as well as internal floors is Tamiya item 87168**360, Diorama Brickwork. This will give you paviours approx. 13 ins by 5 ins for 7mm scale.

John

John,

Quick question for you - i've been wandering around the web tonight, looking for various things including the Tamiya item you suggested. I've found it in several places, but do you happen to know - is this card or plasticard?  If its card, how good is it to weather/paint to a mucky black colour?  Im guessing you've probably used it before.  The write up's seem to suggest the brickwork is raised, or embossed on the sheet somehow?

Rich

John,

Quick question for you - i've been wandering around the web tonight, looking for various things including the Tamiya item you suggested. I've found it in several places, but do you happen to know - is this card or plasticard?  If its card, how good is it to weather/paint to a mucky black colour?  Im guessing you've probably used it before.  The write up's seem to suggest the brickwork is raised, or embossed on the sheet somehow?

Rich

Rich

Mike is correct, these sheets are relief printed (not embossed) and coloured card. The price here in Cornwall is around £3 a sheet (297x210mm), so you could risk just getting one to assess it. It was only a suggestion on my part, you might not care for the effect.

John

• RMweb Gold

Mike/John,

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'll grab a sheet or two and see how it looks and comes out, and report back.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion John - this is what I love about rmWeb ... People are happy to pass on knowledge and ideas, and help those of us who are new to these things.

Right, off to do some work on the shed building!

Cheers

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well managed to spend most of the afternoon on the shed construction today, so things have really moved on a bit.  To recap where I am, one of the two long sides is complete with both inner and outer skins glued together.  Both ends of the shed are in the same condition.  I've made one mistake in that the air vent at the doors end of the shed, should have been mounted inside the outer skin before the two skins were glued together, so have that little issue to correct.

So today, started with painting the outer brickwork for the two sides.  I'd already got the red coat applied, so this afternoon was all about the grey mortar colour.  With the two outer ends done previously, I used a watered down grey colour which seemed to work well, so for the sides, i went with the same principal but watered it down a little further, which seems to have helped.

IMG_0153.jpg

This was one part of the side before the grey was added, and (below) after being covered in a grey colour wash, lightly applied.

IMG_0154.jpg

Ive then used cheap kitchen paper to carefully wipe across the plastikard, in one go, from left to right, to remove the grey, leaving just the infill between the bricks.  Don't press too hard or it brings the red off too!

IMG_0155.jpg

Above is the finished product.  Its not totally even, but i think thats a good thing, but it looks nice to me.  Having established that I was happy I then proceeded onwards to do all four parts of the side walls.  Because the length of the wall is longer than the plastikard sheet, each wall has two pieces to it.

IMG_0156.jpg

The bottom right wall, looks to be different to the others - its not, its just it was the last to painted and the way the light is falling on the wet paint is giving the glistening effect. So those were then left to dry (their still in the same place now!) and i moved onto other things, in this case attaching the outer brickwork to the end walls of the shed.  Because of the slight error with the air vent, that circular and not very neat hole is now not required! But again, overall I'm pleased with the way the brickwork looks, and each of the side and end walls, being 6mm thick have a feeling of durability and solid construction to them.

IMG_0157.jpg

Just to see how its going to look, i've propped the doors up against the opening. Two held in place with masking tape, which won't be there on the finished shed obviously.  The doors still need a little bit of tidy up work, but for a first effort I'm really please.  They were purposely done slightly shorter to account for the trackwork, if closed.

IMG_0159.jpg

With the external brickwork now fixed to both ends, i moved on to completing the second long side.  This meant it was back to creating windows!  Why I put six in to this side, i'll never know!!  Im not sure if i've really shown off the window packs that come from York Model Making, but I'm very impressed with them.  Each comes in three pieces, an upper front, lower back and external frame:

IMG_0160.jpg

It is possible to purchase open windows (as some of mine are) in which case the open section is modelled on the back piece (the middle item in the picture about).  For me, i then glue the front and back pieces together and add the glazing behind.  The front frame, goes on top of the external brickwork.  

IMG_0167.jpg

These are the six finished and glazed windows for the remaining side, just sat on the inner side of the inner MDF skin.  The four on the left are (obviously) closed versions, while the two on the right are the open variety.

There are also some top stone sections to go either on top of or inset into the brickwork.  I'm going to put them on top for ease on this occasion, but there are two/three different types of stone work and I'm not totally sure which I prefer.  The three types are supplied again by YMM.

IMG_0166.jpg

The above picture shows the finished full end, with glazing and also the outer window framework applied.  This shows the three different stone 'over bits' (I'm sure there's a proper name for them - is it lintels?) but the right hand version should have a 'key' stone in the centre, which i've not put on for this photo.  They are only placed on at this point, but I think the one on the left works best?  I need to do something with that red line thats visible - only just noticed that when looking at the pictures!

And there end'th another day.  If i can get the final long side completed tomorrow, then I'm hoping to have a trial get together of the structure tomorrow, which should make a nice picture and start to show how everything will look finally.  

Hope your enjoying the journey so far - if I'm boring anyone or going into too much detail please say, but for me, the number of people reading the thread and commenting, is certainly providing something of a boost to getting on with the construction! Comments as ever, are welcomed!

Rich

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,
Well returned from the GOG Exhibition at Doncaster today with some surprise, some happiness and some disappointment! The exhibition I felt was superb, five wonderful layouts that were a pleasure to look at, and excellent trade support. Nice to have a chat with Mr Waterman about his forthcoming wagon kits and the Class 47 kit - all of which are to be out at Telford he tells me. Lots of people wandering round, although not too many that you couldn't move. Pleased to see it was well attended and hopefully I that bodes well for Doncaster featuring in the diary next year. I was disappointed that C&L weren't present (not that they didn't turn up, I'd just assumed incorrectly that they'd be there), so a phone conversation and purchase will need to be had for the track for the shed.

The range of traders was superb, with just about everything (other than the parts for hand made track!) being available. The surprise comment in my initial sentence was the purchase that was made, that has probably disrupted my plans for the Western hydraulic era idea. That now appears to have become a North Eastern LNER early 1960s era proposal, having returned with a superb LNER A2 model. I've always had a hankering for the A1s and A2s, and I appreciate that this was an Aberdeen Ferryhill loco, but have a feeling it's worked south on a passenger working and got 'nicked' by the MPD for local duties! It's a scratchbuilt model, but runs so smooth and is so detailed. The purchase price took a bit of thought before the card came out! But having got it home and on the test board, I'm really very very pleased with it.

IMG_3520.jpg

Attached are some pictures of the layouts from the exhibition as well, I may have missed one, so apologies to that layout owner - nothing intentional, I think I got so fascinated watching the layout, I forgot to take a pic or two!

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

Enjoy - work on the shed tomorrow, hopefully! Hankering to get it finished now and move onto the baseboards!

Rich

EDIT: Added images.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

... having returned with a superb LNER A2 model. I've always had a hankering for the A1s and A2s, and I appreciate that this was an Aberdeen Ferryhill loco, but have a feeling it's worked south on a passenger working and got 'nicked' by the MPD for local duties! It's a scratchbuilt model, but runs so smooth and is so detailed. The purchase price took a bit of thought before the card came out! But having got it home and on the test board, I'm really very very pleased with it.

Oh no we've lost another to the steam era  :jester:   Only joking!!!

I was at GoG too and spent more than I had intended, but hey never mind.

It was just a pity I did not manage to bump into others.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Oh no we've lost another to the steam era  :jester:   Only joking!!!

I was at GoG too and spent more than I had intended, but hey never mind.

It was just a pity I did not manage to bump into others.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Oh no, I'm very definitely in the BR blue era!  I think the big layout in the loft is going to stay BR blue, and the portable version of Marsh Lane may go 1960s era!  That way it saves moving stock up and down to the loft!!   There seemed to be plenty of money changing hands at Doncaster today - hopefully the traders did well and it will become a firm fixture.  Wish i'd known, would have been good to put a face to the name!  Maybe next time - i shall be heading to Telford.

Your 40118 model looks superb - how could anyone be lost to steam after seeing that :) hehe!  Progress with 40060 looks good too - I'm keeping up to date with your thread!

Rich

... Wish i'd known, would have been good to put a face to the name!  Maybe next time - i shall be heading to Telford.

Your 40118 model looks superb - how could anyone be lost to steam after seeing that :) hehe!  Progress with 40060 looks good too - I'm keeping up to date with your thread!

Hi Rich,

Yes we should have organised something prior.  I intend to go to Telford as I really enjoyed today so perhaps we can sort something a little closer to the time?

Thanks for the compliment, I just need to get 118 weathered now.  I think the locos take on a completely different persona once covered in grime.  As for 060, well progress has slowed a little over the weekend but I'm hoping to try to get to the etch priming stage by the end of next week.... a coat of yellow/ blue shortly afterwards.

Looking forward to more updates on your thread here.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Yes we should have organised something prior.  I intend to go to Telford as I really enjoyed today so perhaps we can sort something a little closer to the time?

Thanks for the compliment, I just need to get 118 weathered now.  I think the locos take on a completely different persona once covered in grime.  As for 060, well progress has slowed a little over the weekend but I'm hoping to try to get to the etch priming stage by the end of next week.... a coat of yellow/ blue shortly afterwards.

Looking forward to more updates on your thread here.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee - sounds a good idea! 

Yes I agree, weathering adds to the realism and they seem to take on a whole life of their own somehow!  Somehow, I enjoy the models far more weathered.  At some point I've got a part built mineral wagon plastic kit here, might have to get some hints and tips off you on weathering and have a go - that way if i mess it all up on that wagon, its not a problem.  :)

The more I read your thread however, the more I am tempted to look at JLTRT loco kits - but I keep restraining myself to get the layout built first, so that I've something to run them on once I have built one!!!

Rich

At some point I've got a part built mineral wagon plastic kit here, might have to get some hints and tips off you on weathering and have a go - that way if i mess it all up on that wagon, its not a problem.   :)

The more I read your thread however, the more I am tempted to look at JLTRT loco kits - but I keep restraining myself to get the layout built first, so that I've something to run them on once I have built one!!!

Hi Rich,

Well don't look to me for inspiration on weathering... I built a mineral wagon, did a bit of trial and lots of error and I'm still not happy with the result.  I also bought a cl33 body off an auction site and I've used that as my test bed.  I have had better results with that, but still lots of room for improvement before I start on my JLTRT locos.

All I can say about building the JLTRT kits is go for it! I was really hesitant at the start but there is so much help on here that you can (with a bit of effort) produce something (in my opinion) that is much better than any RTR manufactured loco.  Additionally, you get the satisfaction of having built a loco that is exactly as you want it, not 'off the shelf'.  All I can say is do it, you won't regret it.

I will never buy another RTR loco because of the enjoyment I get from building them, it's just a shame that the kits do work out very expensive.

Cheers

Lee

Evening all,

Well returned from the GOG Exhibition at Doncaster today with some surprise, some happiness and some disappointment! The exhibition I felt was superb, five wonderful layouts that were a pleasure to look at, and excellent trade support. Nice to have a chat with Mr Waterman about his forthcoming wagon kits and the Class 47 kit - all of which are to be out at Telford he tells me. Lots of people wandering round, although not too many that you couldn't move. Pleased to see it was well attended and hopefully I that bodes well for Doncaster featuring in the diary next year. I was disappointed that C&L weren't present (not that they didn't turn up, I'd just assumed incorrectly that they'd be there), so a phone conversation and purchase will need to be had for the track for the shed.

The range of traders was superb, with just about everything (other than the parts for hand made track!) being available. The surprise comment in my initial sentence was the purchase that was made, that has probably disrupted my plans for the Western hydraulic era idea. That now appears to have become a North Eastern LNER early 1960s era proposal, having returned with a superb LNER A2 model. I've always had a hankering for the A1s and A2s, and I appreciate that this was an Aberdeen Ferryhill loco, but have a feeling it's worked south on a passenger working and got 'nicked' by the MPD for local duties! It's a scratchbuilt model, but runs so smooth and is so detailed. The purchase price took a bit of thought before the card came out! But having got it home and on the test board, I'm really very very pleased with it.

IMG_3520.jpg

Attached are some pictures of the layouts from the exhibition as well, I may have missed one, so apologies to that layout owner - nothing intentional, I think I got so fascinated watching the layout, I forgot to take a pic or two!

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

Enjoy - work on the shed tomorrow, hopefully! Hankering to get it finished now and move onto the baseboards!

Rich

EDIT: Added images.

Oh , never saw the A2, which stand was it on?

Mind you it has a double chimney so probably too late for my 1950's, but it looks superb.

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I'll do some pics this afternoon and upload them. Looks stunning to me!

North Eastern: Thanks for the comment. Acquired from the chap at Steamline, whose stall was right over the back, same row as JLTRT. Had it on the test track at the exhibition and runs lovely and smooth.

Rich

Hi Rich,

That new steamer does look very nice. Whats the name of the layout in your last pic with the class 27 on shed wouldn't mind seeing some more of that it looks pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Thanks!  As Mike has already said, the last pic with the '27' is Ian Futers Lochty Lane SP.  The guide describes it as a small stabling point somewhere in Glasgow as a sub-shed of Eastfield.  Just for Peter there is a short (it is short too - three clips!) video that my father took of the layout yesterday.  I've now managed to create a YouTube account, so as Marsh Lane progresses, you might get some video content too!!!

http://youtu.be/U_0xI3-6-l8

EDIT: Not sure how how to get the video embedded on the page, but the above link works.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1