• RMweb Premium

After probably 60 years of having a Diesel shunter based at Brighton this came to an end today on 22/5/16 as 09026 'Cedric Wares' made its last run from Lovers Walk Depot to the Combined Engineering Depot at Brighton to be loaded aboard a truck, destination the Spa Valley Railway. There were a few people about to say good bye. The loco has not had much use since the end of the loco hauled cross country services back in 2002. Since then it has been used as a depot shunter only and latterly had been modified to apply di-icer to the third rail in Lovers Walk.

09026 built 21/1/62 at Horwich as D4114.

Here are some photos from the last day

p1998074362-4.jpg

From Dyke Road Drive Bridge.

p2104808898-4.jpg

From Dyke Road Drive.

p1902974330-4.jpg

From Dyke Road Drive.

p2006759747-4.jpg

From Dyke Road Drive.

p1965065454-4.jpg

From Dyke Road Drive.

p2142726255-4.jpg

From the top deck of the station car park.

p2145078391-4.jpg

From the top deck of the station car park.

p1993816141-4.jpg

09026 runs off the West Car Road into platform 2.

p1987624800-4.jpg

The last run from platform 2 into the C.E.D.

p1974558157-4.jpg

The last run from platform 2 into the C.E.D.

p2070101016-4.jpg

In time honoured tradition there were plenty of detonators.

p2139779918-4.jpg

In time honoured tradition there were plenty of detonators.

p2019181801-4.jpg

In time honoured tradition there were plenty of detonators, lots of spooked birds.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Considering the length of time the loco has been at Brighton, this is the only other image I have of it.

p994807899-4.jpg

09026 'William Pearson' prepares to take the ECS off 1O66 the 0717 Manchester to Brighton out of the station to Top yard. 319215 can also been seen on a Brighton to Victoria fast service.

Slide dated March 1998.

Photographer R.Marsh.

• RMweb Premium

There hasn't really been any shunting since the loco hauled trains finished in 2002. I don't think it's been out the depot since then.

Drat! Would have liked to have been there.

I'm half sure I've seen it hooked up to a 442 once or twice while passing the depot, so is its departure something to do with the end of the Wessies on the Brighton main line?

That said, I'm equally half-sure I've seen her with a Dellner coupler adaptor on the front?

• RMweb Premium

So how would they move a dead unit?

With another unit.

The only units based at Lovers Walk that do not have Deliner auto couplers are the 442s - which will be gone in a couple of moths (being replaced by more Deliner fitted Electrostars).

As has been noted the use of the 08 declined rapidly when the buffer fitted slam door EMUs went and Cross country abandoned loco hauled trains. The arrival of the 442s (with the return of buffer fitted EMUs) gave it a stay of execution but with them going there was no need to keep it.

• RMweb Premium

What do the 313's have coupler-wise?

BR designed 'Tightlocks' I think - at any rate its another autocoupler with integral air hose / electrical connectors and no buffers so the 09 wouldn't have been able to move them about without a adaptor (which is of course totally different of adaptor  to the Deliner type). Far simpler to use another 313 to shift the duff one.

• RMweb Premium

Drat! Would have liked to have been there.

I'm half sure I've seen it hooked up to a 442 once or twice while passing the depot, so is its departure something to do with the end of the Wessies on the Brighton main line?

That said, I'm equally half-sure I've seen her with a Dellner coupler adaptor on the front?

Don't think it has anything to do with the 442's going as 6 are retained for the Eastbourne to London Bridge services, but the loco has had little or nothing to do for many years.

Yes it has had a Dellner adapter fitted on occasion. It lost its mainline certificate years ago I suspect soon after the loco hauled cross country trains went over to Voyagers.

Archived