The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Hi all

this year on the 1st 2nd,3rd and 8th, 9th, 10th July the  Dean Forest Railway  are hosting a Flour Mill Gala. The Flour Mill, are celebrating 20 years in business of restoring of locos . Visting loco are

​LSWR 4-4-0 T9 Class No. 120

LSWR 2-4-0T No. 298 (30587) (Beattie Well Tank).

Metropolitan Railway E Class 0-4-4T No. 1,

as well home loco GWR 2-6-2T 5541

regards

rob :)

Thanks for posting these dates Rob - I could remember seeing something of it on the DFR Facebook pages I think but can't see it in the Calendar on the website nor in the hard copy printed flyer I picked up at Whitecroft. Should have gone to SpecSavers?

How will the locos arrive? By road to Lydney Junction?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, there's a car park at Lydney Junction serving Lydney station on the national network. No idea what it costs to park there.

Not sure if there's a separate DFR car park

I shall be going on Saturday - any suggestions what I might do 'in the area' on Friday - with the greatest respect to the Dean Forest my interest won't run to two days? Pontypool and Blanavon is closed and the G&W are not running either, bit I'll do one of those on the way home on Sunday.

Thanks,

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I shall be going on Saturday - any suggestions what I might do 'in the area' on Friday - with the greatest respect to the Dean Forest my interest won't run to two days? Pontypool and Blanavon is closed and the G&W are not running either, bit I'll do one of those on the way home on Sunday.

Thanks,

Jon

Has anyone seen a timetable for Saturday 2nd - nothing on website?

Chris

Other things to do? Obviously depends on your interests Jon but to start with;

A quick visit to the harbour, you can see the earthwork remains of some of the coal lines serving the tipplers, the old harbour and a vista across the Severn. As that is just a mile further on along the road serving Lydney Junction you could possibly just devote half an hour, which would be enough, to it on the Saturday.

http://www.wyedeantourism.co.uk/discover/all/i-4388-Lydney_Harbour

Just south of Coleford, by the Chepstow Road, there is Perrygrove narrow gauge, not large but beautifully presented.

http://www.perrygrove.co.uk/

Across the road is Puzzlewood, a weird forest landscape of collapsed Roman iron ore workings, supposedly an inspiration to Tolkein and a filming location for Starwars, Dr. Who, Torchwood and others.

http://www.puzzlewood.net/

A mile out towards Clearwell is Clearwell Caves, a mix of natural and man made (iron ore workings) caves. Bit of industrial interest on the surface, a few rusting bits of machinery, and a walk through the workings.

http://www.clearwellcaves.com/

In the centre of Coleford there is the preserved Goods Shed with a GW brake van

parked ouside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleford_Great_Western_Railway_Museum

And a minutes walk from there, Dans shop, Derails Models, right in the town centre.

http://www.derails.co.uk/

Tintern Abbey and the Wye Valley are maybe 20 minutes from Coleford. The Tintern Staion museum is there, just north of Tintern itself. Not sure what is there these days, the station and signal box for sure and an item or two of rolling stock.

http://www.tinternvillage.co.uk/seedo/tintern-old-station/

This Post has been sponsored by the Forest Of Dean Tourist Association......

• RMweb Gold

Hi all!

Regarding car parking - the best place if you can is Norchard, with its large car park. Parkend has limited parking, depends on the day as to whether you can get it, hence why the railway doesn't like to advertise it as such. Lydney Junction doesn't have a DFR cark park however the mainline car park is there. I'm 99% sure there is no charge and its a 5 min walk from the DFR station. Nothing at Whitecroft - Lydney Town is limited, again depends on the day.

Saturday 2nd timetable now online for those that require, no idea why it wasn't before to be honest: http://deanforestrailway.co.uk/userfiles/files/2016_Steam_Gala_160702%282%29.pdf

Lastly, after the Beattie has been here for a just over a week, Met 1 arrived this morning and I arrived at Lydney Junction today just to watch the loco part of the T9 be unloaded from the lorry. The tender is due tomorrow as far as I'm aware, however its great to see the lineup of locos here now!

We're looking good, just got to hope everything goes well over the next two weekends!

• RMweb Gold

The Gala is now underway, the first trains now pottering around the DFR as I type. I was very lucky to be on site yesterday as the T9 and Beattie were being tested and taken for water at Parkend, so much so I managed to grab a cab ride between Norchard and Whitecroft on both! The T9 is a lovely engine, funnily enough doesn't ride as well as the Well tank in my opinion though.

Anyway, it's all up and running now, let's see how the next two weekends go, hopefully really well! I was there just an hour ago and there were a lot of people around...

I went last Saturday with my two girls & grandad. We had a very enjoyable day. I hadn't been for at least 10 years. I hope the future extension comes to fruition, I'm looking forward to seeing Panteg & Griffithstown station rebuilt.

• RMweb Gold

Today I managed to get cover for the last two hours to escape on go on a photo hunt - being staff I have the relevant gear and track safety certificate to be able to go to some of the more "out of the way" places!

Unfortunately Met 1 failed this morning with injector problems and I'm not sure she'll be back for tomorrow as apparently the regulator is playing up now too - home loco 5541 and the Well tank swapped over on coach set B to keep it running. Shame as it means I have no pictures of her :(

Here's the pics anyway, apologies for the low quality, I had to reduce the size so the upload time would be quicker:

I arrived at Whitecroft to find the services running late due to Met 1's failure, I just had time to walk down to Scovills crossing to get this:
T91.jpg

I then drove a little further down to Upper Forge and was greeted with 5541 on the B set following behind:
5541-2.jpg

After this I headed back to Norchard and the Beattie had arrived with the Saloon, here she is a the watering hole
298-4.jpg

Then the T9 joined the party too!
298T9-5.jpg

More soon...

• RMweb Gold

I then headed back to the Upper Forge area and perched on my favourite photo spot to grab pictures of both the T9 and the Well Tank

T9-6.jpg

My favourite photo of the day:

298-6.jpg

Overall a good afternoon, tomorrow I am TTI on the A set so if any of you are around please say hello! Also, if you've already come, thanks very much, its nice to know when we put on events like this that they're well supported! I know another gala is a definite, when I don't know however!

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, don't call that a B set! (Do any still exist?) It was coach set B in the timetable.

All the same, a nice set of photos.

Ooops my mistake, now amended, although all the staff refer to them as just A or B sets to be honest!

Also, I'm pretty sure there are no complete B-sets left, anyone to confirm/correct??

• RMweb Gold

Are the Flour Mills workshops open to visitors as originally suggested?

Gordon A

I'm not sure, some people say yes some no, as far as I'm aware it was only last weekend. Give the railway a ring tomorrow morning, they'll be able to tell you. :-)

Archived