Roco DIgital Crane Help

LongRail

I am looking for help with a DCC crane I purchased from Ebay it is the Roco 46800 HO scale Crane with a digital control

I have purchased the Roco  DCC multiMAUS control system to operate it.

The crane is used but appears in excellent condition.

I have currently have a DCC layout and if running the crane on the layout the light on the cab flashes which I think shows the chip is working.

I have setup a new track with the DCC control, I have a Viessmann 26110 H0 Robel crane with sound and have set up this up on the MultiMAUS system and it operates perfectly.

What I can’t seem to do is get the Roco Crane to function, I am not sure of the address it comes with I believe by default is should be address 8.

From looking on YouTube I think once the address is correct the light on the top of the crane should start flashing.

Searching on Google various document make mention to Function 0 being off or on.

The Roco MultiMAUS system doesn’t appear to have a Function 0

I have just dipped my toes into DCC so I am an absolute novice here

The Roco Cranes I have (DCC - rail mounted and dockside) can be EITHER 6 or 7  and operate in 14-speed step mode which is easily set for that loco number with a multimaus.

You probably also want to look at using 'Library Mode' and to call it CRANE 8-)  ... then it will remembered and copyable from one handset to another.

(The library is held INSIDE each multimaus, and can hold the name and settings for 64 locos - they DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE SHORT ADDRESSES as 'implied' by the manual only refering to CV1 .... Long addresses are just as usable!!!!  (Not realising that stopped me using the library/name mode for several years!)

I always use the (dock) cranes via the separate digital interface and joystick - which is easy and logical with the fixed cranes.

This forms a separate'dcc'/control system, totally spearate from the track/accessory bus dcc sysytem. 16Vac power supply used + 1 std Joystick

The mobile crane - assume it can .must be usable anywhere on the track (accidents don't only happen where you wannt them) means that No.6 or 7 is reserved for the crane, and not used by any other device/loco/

SOMETIMES, 'control' is lost - and a Power OFF REset is needed - for the crane decoder... but most usually, someone has accidentally changed number with the joystick.

F0 is another name for 'LIGHTS On/off' - sometimes labelled as F10 (Bachmann  EZ ??? ) - it is the [ * OK ]  key on the multimaus.   Speed Steps Menu + Cursor Left to cycle

You are correct that flashing green meand it is receiving commands to that address  ( With the Joyustick, the FIRE button swaps it between Addresses 6 and 7, so it is important to watch it.  THe LED goes RED when the Electromagnet is operated to open the bucket.

With the Joystick -because it uses Analogue to Digital conversion, it is important to use the trim pots to set the ZERO positions ! Not a problem via Multimaus.

Rutger Friburg, the designer, also suggested opening up the sides of the bucket to turn it into a log-handling grab - which is how we let visitors operate it at shows ... moving twigs in and out of stake wagons.

Phil Just tried the following.

New Loco

gave it name crane6

L=6

ss=14

WIth the crane on the track

Shift-Menu

selected prgramme mode

CV Modificaiotn

CV = 6

V=14

Stop to return to operating menu

somewhere along thus i got the orange/yellow flashing light on the the crane.

Couldn't get anything to move

with F0 off and F1 on (pressed I believe turning the knob on the controller should raise/lower the boom

Nothing happens

Now I have lost the flashing light have tried turning off and on and editing the crane6 but nothing

tried repeating the whole process but no flashing light

I am beginning to wonder if the crane is faulty

I am away this weekend, so cannot test the cranes on either controller until next week.

Howver..... Do a Google search on roco digital crane manual. as I have just done, and all may be revealed......

Cannot easily copy path to here especially with Apple re interpretation of words written.

First up, was a PDFs from n c e on how to use it on their system which no longer supports 14 speed steps.....

They mention a wider range of numbers including the 8 you mentioned.... So it is likely that later batches used a wider range and even perhaps swapped to 28 steps. I have had mine for years!

Also Tony's trains and other downloads from the same search

Give them a read and report back.

Don't forget the gear engage / disengage switch . My LEDs are red/green with red being bucket solenoid.

Phil

Thanks again for response like you I am also away until tomorrow have been in contact with seller on eBay who assures me the crane was tested and works he has given me some recommended settings i now have a few more things to try

I am going to the DEMU show next Saturday so if I don't have any joy may take it along and see if I can someone to try on a more advanced system

The Tonys trains entry and digitrax entry in the Google search both refer to versions with the yellow led... Which may, of course be a new mode or red and green together giving yellow effect??

The Tonys trains article was dated 2015

When they refer to a direction to move..... That may be correct Until a previous user has run out the drum to its limit and kept going....

So that it statrts winding back in.... I e direction for that winch becomes reversed until you wind it fully out.

Also.... If the hook is wound fully in, it will lift the jib arm...... Making operation confused or non apparent...... So always ensure the hook has some free distance from the end of the jib..... Then the other movement can be seen when it occurs.

Have fun.... It is always popular with visitors... Who we let operate it... At shows (logging in our case)

• 1 month later...

Phil

Don’t if you can help again when I came back to using the crane I couldn't get it to work at all.

I took it to a local model shop who put it on their DCC system they cleaned all the contacts and managed to get the crane jib to raise then got the light flashing but couldn't get the crane to lower again.

I have tried providing power direct to the motors and they all function ok.

I can’t get the crane to do anything now the light only flashes when I have F1 pressed

I wondered if it was a problem with the circuit board. I managed to purchase another crane via eBay but it is slightly different in that it was setup for 3 Rail AC system I have rewired so that it picks up from both rails and checked that power is getting to the plug which connects to the circuit board.

This one is different I that the address is selected by a set of dip switches.

It recommends using a Marklin 6021 controller and using “OFF” button to control the functions.

Repeated presses of the “OFF” button change the operation.

I am using Multimaus which doesn’t have an “OFF” button

The lights flashes in a single cycle which should rotate the crane, I have tried pressing various Function keys but again can’t get the crane to work, I am beginning to think I am doing something wrong.

I have a Viessmann 26110 H0 Robel crane with sound which works perfectly every time.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I wondered if I could get a more modern DCC decoder which was programmed to run any of the three motors and dispense with the circuit board completely 

I have managed to identify the issue with the second crane.

It uses Motorola protocol which is not the same as DCC protocol.

The crane was tested using an ECoS system running some form of emulation mode.

I have now ordered a Marklin controller which should work ok at least I know the crane operates

Archived