Oxford announce Carflat, additional liveries and sound options.

Andy Y

Kind of makes sense. They might even sell some 1970s-era 00 Oxford Diecast cars to go with it.  Better than the plastic monstrosities that Hornby used to offer with their carflat many years ago...

Good job then that 'everyone' is now tooled up with heavy centre motor both bogies driven traction to meet the haulage challenge of all those diecast car loads. I can see the Heljan 86 gaining in popularity, 'handsome is as handsome does' and all that.

• Like 1

Er...where are they getting the sounds for the Adams Radial from? IIRC, it hasn't steamed in many a year.

In theory, they could nick some sounds from another Ex-LSWR machine, in the form of the M7. The Radial shares the same driving wheel diameter with the M7, both having 5' 7" drivers, so the cylinder beat of the M7 wouldn't need to be distorted to fit that of the Radial.

I don't pretend to know anything regarding the inns and outs of DCC sound, and having never heard the Radial in action I'm not at liberty to say how close the locos were matched in the sounds they produced. Best of luck to Oxford with it.

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

1/088 is interesting as the diagram covers a whole range of designs and even lengths! The one shown is ex-LMS, I'd guess the most common 60 foot length but LMS 62ft, LNER 60' & 61' 6" and BR 63' 5" underframes were also used in the different lots, all lumped together under 1/088.

Well whichever underframe they go with will lead on to a massive frothfest of what else Oxford might subsequently use it for. :)

Edited by Arthur

I am not one to criticise release announcements but I really cannot see why both makers of the Adams 0415 are avoiding the SR Maunsell green livery in favour of the short-lived Bulleid black one. Yes, the locos underwent changes throughout their lives but when did a few detail inaccuracies stop a major manufacturer from offering different liveries?

http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR006.htm

• Like 3

I think I can make up a slimmed down version of the Crewe-St Austell Motorail we used at the end of the '70s. 5  car flats, an RMB and 2 sleepers would be close enough for me.

Bachmann take note to have the coaches available early next year.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

1/088 is interesting as the diagram covers a whole range of designs and even lengths! The one shown is ex-LMS, I'd guess the most common 60 foot length but LMS 62ft, LNER 60' & 61' 6" and BR 63' 5" underframes were also used in the different lots, all lumped together under 1/088.

Hi Bernard

Thanks for the info on Diagram 1/088, saved me getting my books out. One thing I will say about the illustration in Mr York's opening post, why would a car flat need a battery box? I do hope the production models are sans electric cell carrier. See Paul Bartletts site.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Just a little thought but they could follow these up with warflats and warwells with vehicles available from within the vehicle range again

Love the new range hope its just the beginning and the keeps going from strength to strength

• RMweb Gold

So in making up motorail trains...

I reckon its two flats to one coach - 8 cars, but only 7 compartments per coach if FK so additional space needed in brake

But what if sleepers? How many berths per compartment , if cars had 4 occupants ? was that two compartments?

Heres another in non motorail traffic

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/89.jpg

From the Brian Thomas collection

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Wonderful news indeed! Must say the BR Triple Packs are of particular interest.

As for the Adams with sound, that really is great news for DCC models indeed. Sadly no use to me though, as I still run on good old DC. Though funny really, as just last week I posted a video of a little sound edit with my Oxford Adams!  :mosking:   Naturally I too don't have a recording of the real Adams, as I don't believe she's steam in my lifetime. So I improvised with another one of my own real sound recordings from an Avon Valley Railway Gala visit back last year, featuring an engine with similar size drive wheels cylinders and designed by the Southern Region (though it is in Red and Gold)  :jester:  The whistle is a big giveaway as to what the real loco was... Though does sound great for the video though... Have a guess what it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7QJIXrj--k

Great news about the Motorail Carflat.

Can't wait!

Fantastic!  

Railway_Station%2C_Carlisle_-_geograph.o

Dave Hitchborne, Wikipedia, commons

Railway Station, Carlisle Train hauled by BR Class 85003, containing car transporters.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 9

This really is a 'better start saving up' job for yours truly  :angel:

I will seriously have a rake-out of non-essentials to fund this lot.

Was the Camden example the last one extant on the national network, as late as 2009? http://www.departmentals.com/photo/024783

EDIT: not forgetting the Highland Baby Sulzers that will be arriving at some stage.

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

So in making up motorail trains...

I reckon its two flats to one coach - 8 cars, but only 7 compartments per coach if FK so additional space needed in brake

But what if sleepers? How many berths per compartment , if cars had 4 occupants ? was that two compartments?

Heres another in non motorail traffic

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/89.jpg

From the Brian Thomas collection

Phil

Formations for the Newton Abbott - Sutton Coldfield which came your way are in some of the WR Carriage Working Notices available on the BR Loco-Hauled Coaching Stock Yahoo Group. 

In 1967 the formation was BCK/5FK/RB/BSO/6 Carflats northbound and RB/5FK/BCK/6 Carflats/BSO southbound.

Very interesting news, hope they are a success, newton chambers next?? Hope so!

Hope the awaited Janus takes off too too would love to have a Taurus to partner it.

Wish Oxford Rail all the best with their range and hope some more interesting things are in the pipe line

Very interesting news, hope they are a success, newton chambers next?? Hope so!

Hope the awaited Janus takes off too too would love to have a Taurus to partner it.

Wish Oxford Rail all the best with their range and hope some more interesting things are in the pipe line