Locomotion announce limited edition E5001 Hornby Class 71

Andy Y

Class 71 side.jpg

BR Class 71 – E5001

post-1-0-98742300-1464260658_thumb.jpg

Locomotionmodels.com are pleased and proud to announce the latest addition to their National Collection in Miniature range – the BR Class 71 No. E5001 in the locomotive’s planned impending livery and available for delivery from 1 July.

Currently waiting for a much needed planned livery refurbishment, the National Collection’s Class 71, No. E5001 has been immortalised as a ‘00’ scale model in it’s intended livery exclusively for Locomotionmodels.com.  Working closely with Hornby the Locomotion models team have under a strict confidentially agreement commissioned a certificated Limited Edition of just 250 models resplendent in the new planned livery with the models available from the 30th June. 

post-1-0-16010100-1464260661_thumb.jpg

This superbly detailed DCC Ready model has been especially produced for Locomotionmodels.com with a gloss finish by Hornby and will without doubt due to the low number produced bound to be in great demand.  Only 250 have been produced, therefore we have recommended on the Locomotionmodels.com website that those wishing to own such a model should place their order immediately so as to avoid disappointment.

The retail price of the Locomotion Models specially commissioned model of the BR Class 71, No. E5001 is £159.95 plus P&P. and can be ordered via the Internet - www.locomotionmodels.com, or call 01904 685785.  Alternatively those requiring a model can also write to Locomotionmodels.com, The NRM at Shildon, Shildon, Co Durham DL4 2RE

post-1-0-82070200-1464260662_thumb.jpg

Historical Notes

Introduced to mainline traffic in 1958 the Class 71 locomotives were classified as a mixed traffic locomotive and proved to be equally suitable when used to haul heavy freight or indeed express passenger trains. Renowned for their impressive acceleration, the locomotives were used on the Southern Railways most prestigious services including the London – Paris ‘Night Ferry’ train as well as the equally famous ‘Golden Arrow’ service, becoming the locomotive of choice for many years.

With the advent of the Southern EMUs, the Class tended to be used mainly for freight operation, however eventually the inflexibility and the reliance on electricity meant that even as a freight locomotive the Class 71 had become redundant and eventually the decision was made to withdraw the remaining 14 from service on the last day of 1977.

Only one of the Class was preserved as part of the National Collection and is the subject of this exclusive limited edition model and represents the first of the class, E5001 in its current preserved 2016 livery.

Comment - AY
At least this model features the cab-corner ventilators correctly as this model is of the loco as preserved. None of the Hornby main range items in early liveries should have these prominent features.

Guest spet0114

Compared to the pre-prod. models seen from DJ Models, this one looks a bit too toy-like for my liking. Those wipers, for example - almost as bad as the ones on the Bachmann class 20!

Think I'll pass on this one and wait for the DJM release, even if it won't represent the 'as-preserved' example.

Is this the future for Hornby, doing special commissions of premium priced limited numbers and internet only sales. Little wonder they are loosing money and cutting back on production, remind anyone of the end of Lima.

Comment - AY

At least this model features the cab-corner ventilators correctly as this model is of the loco as preserved. None of the Hornby main range items in early liveries should have these prominent features.

Couldn't care less about that. Overall the model is absolutely superb and if I had to let the smallest of things like that bother me I must probably think model trains are my flesh and blood and without it or with such small errors I would not live. Most people wouldn't even notice that.

Seems very easy for those of us on here to take up sides with manufacturers or go against them. What happened to the actual "modelling"? A nice sharp blade, lick of paint and varnish and it will be done if it bothers anyone.

• RMweb Gold

Is this the future for Hornby, doing special commissions of premium priced limited numbers and internet only sales. Little wonder they are loosing money and cutting back on production, remind anyone of the end of Lima.

I think not.Locomotion commission models from both  Bachmann and Rapido don't forget.There is not even the remotest suggestion that they are concentrating on this kind of market. The premium is for the benefit of Locomotion NRM.

And what exactly points out to such a thing happening even remotely?

• RMweb Gold

It's just a shame the real thing is now a mess

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adogriff/15413926566/

It hardly appears to be 'in the stewardship' of its current custodians - shame really and perhaps a lesson for the NRM about where their collection should be lent?

In the meanwhile the NRM model offers limited number uniqueness and that is what they are about commercially although I must be honest and say that I don't find the offering quite so unique when it is a simple detail mod and livery change of a  main range model.  I await the Stirling Single to rekindle my interest in the National Collection in Miniature - but each to their own of course.

I'm not sure how to feel about this announcement. For those who were wanting the 'as preserved' condition, I might feel a little tricked that since the beginning Hornby have been showing off R3373 which is effectively an as preserved paint scheme. Now a month before its released, NRM & Hornby come out saying there going to repaint the actual engine and change the paint scheme so now if you want the current 'as preserved' you must buy a different model (with a limited number produced) from NRM. Which leaves modellers either having to now buy 2 of the same engine, cancel R3373 with either their local shop or stick with R3373 which sounds like soon will not be in 'as preserved' condition. If they had announced this plan from the beginning it would be fine but to wait till a month to go kind of bugs me. It might seem very minor and it might be nothing but somehow it doesn't feel right about them doing it like this. Don't take me wrong, it's fantastic that there going to paint the engine and restore it but to do it in a scenario like this for commercial gain & leaving modellers in a position like this doesnt seem right.

Btw, wasn't Dave Jones trying to get the NRM to do a similar project from the beginning and paint it into BR Blue?

edit

I myself would actually prefer the way that NRM are producing it but I myself don't like cancelling items that I have already ordered so I will most likely end up just sticking with the originally announced item. I wonder if I could manage to paint over the yellow panelling.

What is the difference between this and the standard Hornby model please? all I can see looking here

http://www.ehattons.com/135689/Hornby_R3373_Class_71_E5001_in_BR_Green/StockDetail.aspx

is a coat of Gloss varnish ? and a presumably a different box for £159.95 and it is missing the Yellow front panels .

Hattons do the "normal" version for £127.50. 

edit

Hattons also state in their listing that  R3373 version is as preserved as well.

• RMweb Gold

Usually gloss finish locos aren't very popular with modellers, so I think this is one for the collectors.

I'd be happy to wait for the main release, which is £154.95 from Hornby direct, less from the discounters.

Except R3373 doesn't have the cab corner post ventilators that the preserved loco has.

All of the deco samples that Hornby have shown have the vents, it remains to be seen if the actual releases do I guess. Some of the early CADs showed them without.

• RMweb Gold
Usually gloss finish locos aren't very popular with modellers, so I think this is one for the collectors.

I'd be happy to wait for the main release, which is £154.95 from Hornby direct, less from the discounters.[/quote

So what's the problem with a gloss finish ? Popular with me....for just one...if you consider how it revitalises Hornby's King in the Locomotion version released last November.It works well and is not just a gimmick.....despite so - called 'perceived wisdom'.Suggest you judge for yourself...always supposing you can find one without having to pay a king's ransom for it.

Locomotion Models seem to be making gloss finish a signature flourish with their models.More please.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Ian. I love my Locomotion gloss King, I have ordered the Flying Scotsman pack which has a gloss finish, and I will be getting the Gresley collection from Hornby with a gloss finish. For collectors models, it is a great look.

• RMweb Gold

So what's the problem with a gloss finish ? Popular with me....for just one...if you consider how it revitalises Hornby's King in the Locomotion version released last November.It works well and is not just a gimmick.....despite so - called 'perceived wisdom'.Suggest you judge for yourself...always supposing you can find one without having to pay a king's ransom for it.

Locomotion Models seem to be making gloss finish a signature flourish with their models.More please.

There's no problem, if you're happy with it. I am well aware of how they look in the flesh. I have observed though that the Heljan gloss locos are usually the last to disappear off Hatton's shelves, indicating they appeal to collectors, rather than the general modeller. But I have no doubt that the 250 will shift in no time.

At least the NRM exclusive wears the correct shade of green, something liken to malachite.

The other samples I've seen show a darker green.

My choice will favour the Hornby model, working on the basis of ' better the devil you know '.

They have produced some stunning models recently, and done Southern modellers proud.

• RMweb Premium

On another note, I'm glad to see they have dispensed with the opening doors. Makes a much better appearance externally and they never really did serve a purpose as no driver I know would hang out the door while his loco is underway!

On another note, I'm glad to see they have dispensed with the opening doors. Makes a much better appearance externally and they never really did serve a purpose as no driver I know would hang out the door while his loco is underway!

Taking us off-topic for a moment, I agree when referring to main line locomotives, but for shunters like classes 08 and 09, it is more useful as people do seem to hang out of open doors and windows.

Taking us off-topic for a moment, I agree when referring to main line locomotives, but for shunters like classes 08 and 09, it is more useful as people do seem to hang out of open doors and windows.

I’d agree with that but I have seen videos of main-line diesels setting off with cab doors open. Not on faster passenger trains, though.

Opening cab doors are done so well that a friend of mine did not even realise that one of his models had them. On the other hand, the springs holding them closed are so strong that I haven’t worked out a way of holding them open without using a very obtrusive chunk of plastic or a trapped second man.

I'd be happy to wait for the main release, which is £154.95 from Hornby direct, less from the discounters.[/quote

I’d agree about the gloss King but it has the advantage of being compared to Hornby’s ghastly GWR green. The blue King, on the other hand, is quite attractive but I have to admit that it doesn’t resemble BR (steam) blue very closely, assuming the preservationists have got it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA3z_d_iio

If Hornby’s green on these is acceptable, I think I’ll stick with the standard issue. I like gloss but not enough to pay a considerable premium for it. Incidentally, I have a few Heljan gloss diesels and comparing them to the NRM King, I think the gloss on the NRM King is much better done. It’s as if the Heljan gloss squirt is a little thin in places.

On the other hand, the springs holding them closed are so strong that I haven’t worked out a way of holding them open without using a very obtrusive chunk of plastic or a trapped second man.

Remove the spring, and a blob of blu-tak inside to hold it in position?  Or glue if you want it one way forever.

Archived