Here is a shot from the Council for the Protection of Rural England's website.

This website is very useful http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/greater_london/hammersmith/NottingHillLondon-hc23549a.jpg.html

This will certainly come in handy. This photo helps capture the necessary details both lineside and beyond. Cheers for this!

Bing maps will also come in handy greatly for more shots like this.

Matt

With that space that's gonna be a monster layout, Willesden can be easily recreated

Maybe, but in 00 gauge, space is very quickly/easily filled, and before you know it, there's no room for the required scenery that you needed to install.

We shall see what sort of track plan I'm after in time anyway ;)

Cheers,

Matt

Just looking at realtime trains you have plenty stock moves at Olympia and a ton of freight as well as the drs nuclear to dungness

I very much agree. By looking at Olympia observations on YouTube, there is certainly a heaving amount of fright being hauled through 'Kenny O'.

Cheers,

Matt

Because you have said you intend to build this layout in 5-7 years you really need to be thinking of two layouts - the one for now where you can practice getting the look right and then the one you will build when you move and you know the actual space available.

It's all well and good planning for a layout 12-14 foot by 6 foot - but what if you don't find that property, ultimately your choice of home should come down to what your family needs are first and hobbies are a bonus.

I would plan for something now that fits in your current home but can utilise the stock you want on your holy grail layout and use it as practice for all the buildings and landscape that will make something 'London'.

Because you have said you intend to build this layout in 5-7 years you really need to be thinking of two layouts - the one for now where you can practice getting the look right and then the one you will build when you move and you know the actual space available.

It's all well and good planning for a layout 12-14 foot by 6 foot - but what if you don't find that property, ultimately your choice of home should come down to what your family needs are first and hobbies are a bonus.

I would plan for something now that fits in your current home but can utilise the stock you want on your holy grail layout and use it as practice for all the buildings and landscape that will make something 'London'.

Very true, all depends on the circumstances at the time. 

At least all I can do now is plan ahead so that if this layout does go ahead, I'm pretty much as prepared as I can be.

Cheers,

Matt

All the more reason to plan for a more modest layout now that can be your practice for when the opportunity of the bigger layout presents.

But don't make my mistake of thinking about the future, buying all sorts of stock and when you get there realise you wanted something completely different.

Been there, worn the t-shirt got the excess stock.

Ah, this is going to be 00; I thought it was N.

In 00, my gut feeling is that Willesden Junction is definitely out.

What about the "terminating" side of Richmond? That has an interesting mix (if you like EMUs), and nice old-fashioned architecture.

Or Gospel Oak, if you want to run freight?

And, West Brompton has a very nice station on the District Line (less said about the WLL side the better, but it does have some freight).

K

Edited by Nearholmer

Location-wise - just have a think about what you eventually want out of it.

There's a fascinating array of orbital routes with lots of freight, any of which would make a good basis for a layout in terms of train variety, as they also get used for railtours, stock transfers, test trains and everything else, overlaid with a busy passenger service.

Follow the routes on Bing/Google:

Lewisham-Nunhead-Peckham-Brixton-Wandsworth Rd-Clapham
Clapham-Imperial Wharf-Olympia-Willesden
Kew Bridge-Sth Acton-Willesden HL-Kensal Rise-West Hampstead-Gospel Oak-Camden Rd-Dalston-Stratford
Gospel Oak-Upper Holloway-Blackhorse Rd-Leytonstone High Rd-Woodgrange Pk-Barking

You really will struggle a bit with current passenger stock for any given London route though.

All the more reason to plan for a more modest layout now that can be your practice for when the opportunity of the bigger layout presents.

But don't make my mistake of thinking about the future, buying all sorts of stock and when you get there realise you wanted something completely different.

Been there, worn the t-shirt got the excess stock.

To be fair, I have been in the same boat a few years ago in terms of stock, and much like it did with you, this 'boat' sank horribly.

Before doing anything major (little more than formulating a track plan) I want to know that it is a definite possibility and that it is definitely what I want.

Cheers,

Matt

Ah, this is going to be 00; I thought it was N.

In 00, my gut feeling is that Willesden Junction is definitely out.

What about the "terminating" side of Richmond? That has an interesting mix (if you like EMUs), and nice old-fashioned architecture.

Or Gospel Oak, if you want to run freight?

And, West Brompton has a very nice station on the District Line (less said about the WLL side the better, but it does have some freight).

K

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll more than likely have a look at these.

Cheers,

Matt

Location-wise - just have a think about what you eventually want out of it.

There's a fascinating array of orbital routes with lots of freight, any of which would make a good basis for a layout in terms of train variety, as they also get used for railtours, stock transfers, test trains and everything else, overlaid with a busy passenger service.

Follow the routes on Bing/Google:

Lewisham-Nunhead-Peckham-Brixton-Wandsworth Rd-Clapham

Clapham-Imperial Wharf-Olympia-Willesden

Kew Bridge-Sth Acton-Willesden HL-Kensal Rise-West Hampstead-Gospel Oak-Camden Rd-Dalston-Stratford

Gospel Oak-Upper Holloway-Blackhorse Rd-Leytonstone High Rd-Woodgrange Pk-Barking

You really will struggle a bit with current passenger stock for any given London route though.

I'll take a look at these routes in Bing maps as soon as I can.

Rolling stock may be an issue. Although the class 170 and soon to be class 319 (in the wrong livery :() are available from Bachmann, anything in terms of EMU's might be a bit tricky. The closest I can think of is the class 350, but they aren't typically seen running these lines at all as far as I'm aware.

I shall keep thinking,

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: That said, Bratchell Models could certainly come in handy! :)

Edited by Southern_Trains_Fan

Hornby have done the 466 (and the 465 is kitbashable) if you based in in SouthEastern territory.

The 170 will get you a Southern 171, but not much else in London today. I think you have a higher expectation of an Electrostar appearing RTR than I do! ;)

For SWT, the 350 ought to get you 95% of the way to a 450, if nobody has done that RTR by then, and on the main line you can also use 158/159s, Bratchell may well get you a 455/9 (and 8?) and 456 - that's not too bad a mix.

The WCML is probably the best served in terms of RTR, with both Virgin 390/221, LM 350 available. The only missing link is a 378 for the DC lines and whatever will be running the Bakerloo in 2023 (will the 72 stock have finally been replaced by then?) - is it worth following Willesden to Camden (as it's got both inner urban scenery and sees freight traffic) to see if there's any particularly modelleable bits there, just because you might have the best chance of stocking that one?

Thameslink - well Bachmann's 319 is only coming in N at present - Bratchell might allow you to get a RTR one - but 319s may not be running in London by then if you're building this in 7 years time, and to be honest i'd hold off on building passenger stock for that kind of reason...it only takes one franchise change and it all looks different.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a shot from the Council for the Protection of Rural England's website.

This website is very useful http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/greater_london/hammersmith/NottingHillLondon-hc23549a.jpg.html

I've never thought of Willesden  Jct as being either rural or in need of protection.

• RMweb Gold

I'll take a look at these routes in Bing maps as soon as I can.

Rolling stock may be an issue. Although the class 170 and soon to be class 319 (in the wrong livery :() are available from Bachmann, anything in terms of EMU's might be a bit tricky. The closest I can think of is the class 350, but they aren't typically seen running these lines at all as far as I'm aware.

Hi Matt

In the space you've got I can't help feeling you would be better off in N! The 319 is only due in N from Farish.  The 350s (also available in N) run through Willesden and certainly used to run through Kensington Olympia (some are dual voltage).

Cheers, Mike

at Olympia depending on where you model because heading towards Willesden from west brom you have what I believe is a tube depot aswell as the irregular high street ken- Olympia shuttle (LU)

Yup - Lilley Bridge Depot.  Technically it was an Underground depot - works trains for surface lines albeit I have seen Tube battery locos in there.  Also the High St Ken - Olympia shuttle used to run only when there were exhibitions at Olympia.  But I think that now there are regular through services travelling between  Clapham Junction and Willesden, the Olympia shuttle is daily. 

Ah, well, JP, that attribution might have been a product of my sense of humour.

It was rural once, an area of orchards, dairy farms, and tranquility. Then the railway arrived .......

K

post-26817-0-95437700-1464714607.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer