Imperial Gate - late 90's West london urban branch terminus

simon b

• RMweb Gold

Had a little time yesterday so I've started on the station roof. I was originally going to use a peco overall roof kit, but decided I wanted something different. These are the frames from 3 airfix/Dapol canopy's, stretched using bits from a 4th to make them long enough to reach across both tracks. This will have a wall to support it on both sides with large bricked up windows, no supports on the platform itself. I've not yet decided what the roof will be clad in, but thinking of wills box profile sheets to suggest it has been recovered at some point.

20171119_224459_zpscmmoracw.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So after a rummage in the scrap box I found a sheet of wills clear corrugated sheet, to me I think it sits about right on the canopy roof. The lower lower row above the valance needs painting in so only the upper row remains clear, a grey of some sort was my first thought.

20171121_223052_zpsirn0s8cg.jpg

Also found was a spare wall from the airfix engine shed kit, which isnt too far away from how I pictured things should look. The spacing is wrong for what I need, as in there would be 4 windows vs 3 gable ends, which looks a little odd to me. The other option is some parts from DPM, which are more like the size I need.

20171121_224011_zpsomi9ak6c.jpg

20171121_224046_zpscorj2kfy.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts on this? :scratchhead:  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I would scratch build the wall using wills sheets and then you can have the pitch of the windows the same as the pitch of the gable ends. The roof is outstanding BTW  :)

Regards Lez.Z.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Something about your freight facility is saying "brewery" to me. No idea if a rail served brewery is remotely realistic in the recent past though.

Not recently but in the mid 90's, Guinness at park royal used to see long trains of vga cargo wagons come and go. Power at this time seems to have been a 37, 47, or 56. These finished in around 1997 I think, so do fit with the period I'm modeling.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I would scratch build the wall using wills sheets and then you can have the pitch of the windows the same as the pitch of the gable ends. The roof is outstanding BTW  :)

Regards Lez.Z.

Agreed.

I think it's going to have to be will's sheets, I've just put some will's brick retaining walls along the front of the elevated section so it will all blend in together.

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at the height of the buildings that are going to be next to it, I now don't think the supporting walls need any windows. By the time the pitched tile roof is on the two buildings at the front, the canopy wall itself wont be visible. Seems like the station area is turning into a brick canyon.

20171128_001115_zpsyie0mhby.jpg

20171128_001157_zpsmxfbr3yz.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any progress, Simon, or has life got in the way of the important stuff?

Hi Pete.

Time has been short lately but I've got a few bits done, been messing about with the new Peco track on the other layout for the last few weeks too.

The dmu depot now has a pair of inspection pits, and I've added a concrete base around them and the building itself. Also been slowly piecing together the buildings infront of the station.  

Pics will come soon.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...