Missing Southern Locomotives!

• RMweb Gold

Some time ago I foolishly set myself the target of having in my 4mm Southern railway loco collection a minimum of one of every class that was 'on the books' of the Southern Railway as at nationalization in 1948.

Although I am doing pretty well, there are a few classes for which I can find no model, whether RTR or kit, and so I am having to consider whether there are suitable donors for "bashing" or whether scratch building would be the only option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on any or all of the following:

Ex-LSWR - S11, C14 (have been waiting on CSP/Agenoria for some time on this one - so it may get solved)

Ex-SECR - B1, F1 (have a very old Jidenco kit for the latter, although whether it can be made into anything good is open to question!)

Ex-LB&SCR - D3X, C3, I1X

There are also some sundry "one-off's" but I am less concerned about these.

All help and thoughts appreciated!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Was the Q kits one white metal or one of their fiberglass range? I have some of the fibreglass diesels not to bad for the era.

It is a fairly old metal casting & probably lacking in the level of detail that one might now expect - but it makes a reasonable model.

I'll take a picture & post it in the next day or so, for info.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The classic way to get an approximate C14 begins with a Triang 'Nellie', the valvegear from a brittania, and a saw.

K

Sounds drastic, but could be the only way if The CSP Agenoria kit does not materialise!

The classic way to get an approximate C14 begins with a Triang 'Nellie', the valvegear from a brittania, and a saw.

K

There was an article some years back in the modelling press showing where to cut and shut and which valvegear to use and alter.

I too have been waiting for the CSP C14 and at one time it was listed with a price for a very short period but wonder if anybody does know for sure the current situation with the 4mm version. I also have a feeling that the 7mm version was going to be offered by Roxey from the same etch artwork.

• RMweb Gold

There was an article some years back in the modelling press showing where to cut and shut and which valvegear to use and alter.

I too have been waiting for the CSP C14 and at one time it was listed with a price for a very short period but wonder if anybody does know for sure the current situation with the 4mm version. I also have a feeling that the 7mm version was going to be offered by Roxey from the same etch artwork.

I last exchanged mails with Roger Slade who owns CSP about 15 months ago and he had certainly been unwell, but had just released two ex PD&SWJR locos, Earl of Mount Edgcumbe / Lord St Levan, & A.S. Harris; at that time he said that the C14 was very close to completion but I have heard nothing since and he is not currently responding to mails. I am hoping that he is well, or soon will be well enough to make further progress.

You are right that Roxey has the 7mm C14.

Tony

Do you mean that Roxey will have a 7mm C14? Because, I can't find one on their website right now, and didn't see one on their stand,which I pored over a good deal at St Albans show in the winter.

When a kit does become available, I'm looking to build one for coarse-0, which will probably create interesting tangles in terms of clearances behind the valve-gear!

I did the surgical business on a Nellie in about 1977, and although the scars remained visible, if you knew where to look, it was reasonably convincing.

K

• RMweb Gold

Do you mean that Roxey will have a 7mm C14? Because, I can't find one on their website right now, and didn't see one on their stand,which I pored over a good deal at St Albans show in the winter.

When a kit does become available, I'm looking to build one for coarse-0, which will probably create interesting tangles in terms of clearances behind the valve-gear!

I did the surgical business on a Nellie in about 1977, and although the scars remained visible, if you knew where to look, it was reasonably convincing.

K

I am as sure as I can be that the reason I originally made contact with Roger Slade of CSP was that about 4 years ago, Roxey had advertised the C14 and I had not realised that it was 7mm - so I spoke to them and they in turn directed me to CSP for the 4mm version. The problem was that the 4mm version was a cut down of what was being built in 7mm and a number of key parts were being designed by a 3D modeller who has since died. Whether this has held up BOTH versions I really don't know - however - I expect to see Roxey Mouldings at tomorrow's Doncaster show and so I will ask Dave Hammersley for an update on his 7mm version and post whatever I find out here.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Dave Hammersley of Roxey Mouldings today at Doncaster and as I thought, he does have the intention of issuing a 7mm C14 kit, HOWEVER, he is held up by the same problem that is affecting the 4mm kit from CSP Agenoria, because both kits were developed by the same person, who is no longer with us, and has left them with or or two problems to be solved. I assured Dave that there were certainly a number of parties out here who would be interested when it eventually arrives - but unsurprisingly he is not putting any date on when this might be.

Tony

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sadly, I see that Roger Slade of CSP Agenoria passed away earlier this week, (see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115497-roger-slade-csphaye-developments/ ) and so I guess we will have to wait and see whether his successor chooses to progress the C14 kit.

For those that have followed this thread on 'Missing Southern Locos", I have recently started a new thread covering my OO home based layout which may be of interest.

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115550-churminster-stowe-magna-southern-railway/

Tony

Archived