City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted anything, so I thought I would share my latest modelling efforts.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Any questions and comments welcomed.

Regards Paul.

Nicely done - I assume this is very small?

my only criticism concerns the platform - once they have unloaded a wagon where does the goods go, or conversely if they are loading where does the goods come from? A set of doors in the wall adjoining the platform would make the scene more believable (even if the doors are closed).

As there is no flush/paved surface across nearside track, it would be impossible to back a lorry up to the platform. Would not want to be working there having to carry all those items across the track. Continuing the cobbles up to and between the rails would make the whole scene look more practical in reality. In fact there is no reason for any cobbles unless they continue across the track. They are there for a reason, and everything has a purpose. Money would not have been wasted in an industrial area.

The thing about small displays like this is that it is possible to put the little details in. A goods siding is not just somewhere to shunt a few wagons.

Otherwise nice looking.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys for your likes and advice, I do need to plan more and research before I start these little projects. But it's still been an enjoyable build and it's been a good practise for my scratch building.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post a few more pictures of the layout. With some overall shots. The scenic section measures 32cm x 20cm, the whole board including fiddle yard is 72cm x 20cm it fits nicely into a plastic storage box that was designed for wrapping paper.

IMG_1735.jpeg.78f683270cc465eb83f21db429593546.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg.bc39f119c35db973cc75914a52e02c10.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg.0599597661655dd0939b77f1e15a54dd.jpeg

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Been doing some experimenting with the black and white photo settings on my camera. Hope you all like,

Regards Paul.

IMG_1734.jpeg.030287107658c7e379932dbca635d5f0.jpeg

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 6

Something else is to actually write a fictional history, to explain what, why and when. It can help cement a project together, and possibly highlight areas that can be changed.

Like the idea of the plastic box. The scenic area could have filled the whole box, with fiddle yard(?) on a separate flat board which sits under layout for storage. Maybe an idea for next layout to try out board joins etc.

Hi Paul,

Excellent work as always.  I especially like the two figures with the shovel and wheelbarrow.  The dirt ballast looks well aged, along with the old-fashioned (gas?) lamps and cobbles I'd say this is a fairly early scene.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Excellent work as always.  I especially like the two figures with the shovel and wheelbarrow.  The dirt ballast looks well aged, along with the old-fashioned (gas?) lamps and cobbles I'd say this is a fairly early scene.

Thanks James, the figures are from monty's models, they do an excellent range. The dirt ballest is air drying clay painted and weathered. And the gas lamps are from express models.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Like this, looks convincing - and excellent use of the box which will also protect when not in use, alot to be said for being self- contained I think. 

out of interest the van in the arch? have you cut it to make fit?  ;) 

- everybody has different priorities regarding realism - as to where the goods go & come from etc. -  an attractive scenic diorama you undoubtedly have, according to how you fixed the loading platform down you could either move it to the other side of the front-most siding ( which would allow lorries to back up) - or provide a new platform there and leave the present one looking a but shabby but empty, however if it doesnt bother you just leave it as it is, certainly seen less plausable situations on some exhibition layouts... 

will have to look out for one of those boxes? - where did you get it ? :) 

• RMweb Gold

Like this, looks convincing - and excellent use of the box which will also protect when not in use, alot to be said for being self- contained I think. 

out of interest the van in the arch? have you cut it to make fit?  ;) 

- everybody has different priorities regarding realism - as to where the goods go & come from etc. -  an attractive scenic diorama you undoubtedly have, according to how you fixed the loading platform down you could either move it to the other side of the front-most siding ( which would allow lorries to back up) - or provide a new platform there and leave the present one looking a but shabby but empty, however if it doesnt bother you just leave it as it is, certainly seen less plausable situations on some exhibition layouts... 

will have to look out for one of those boxes? - where did you get it ? :)

Hi Russ, thanks for the comments. The box came from Hobby Craft. I think it was about £11. It certainly keeps the dust out and helps protect the layout when in storage. The van in the arch was an old Hornby model that I cut down and repainted. I always envisioned that the archway leads to a much larger sorting facility that handles most of the goods and the yard outside being more of an overspill.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The van is a Parkside Dundas kit that I modified, to show the doors open.

IMG_1753.jpeg.448f163744e0ee88bafd37ed20e9a070.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg.eac358851a23487542f1034c4ec0a6fa.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg.91f76aefbe74fe356b28ee129336e9af.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg.8299a2b14e9f571a40381d12826b8f14.jpeg

Regards Paul

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 12

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice - love the detail.  I love with this hobby its not about skill, money, space or ambition, its about doing whatever you want - everyone can take it in a totally different direction and come up with something interesting.  Box files aren't something id personally do, but this is really good and fascinating! Well done.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...