City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

Thanks again to everyone who has left comments. High praise indeed. I'm in the planning stages of starting a new micro, like a lot of folks on here I have been seduced by the Dapol class 08 in 7mm. Went for the black early crest one, and I must say it's an excellent model. Probably won't start anything though until after Christmas.

Regards Paul.

Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in 7mm. Do you have an idea of the size of the new layout?

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in 7mm. Do you have an idea of the size of the new layout?

Yeah, it's going to be another micro, 120cm x 30cm. Industrial/goods yard. Baseboard built and track laid. Will start a new thread for it soon.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Very envious. I really want one of those little locos for my current project. It looks great.

Thanks Andy. It's a fantastic loco, runs extremely well. Would love the other two liveries as well. They are getting hard to track down though. Try some of the smaller model shops if you want one.

Regards Paul.

Thanks Andy. It's a fantastic loco, runs extremely well. Would love the other two liveries as well. They are getting hard to track down though. Try some of the smaller model shops if you want one.

Regards Paul.

I did a trawl through the internet yesterday and have located one. Providing Yodel don't do their normal trick of travelling to Derby via Glasgow and the Outer Hebrides it should arrive today. Knowing my luck it will probably arrive whilst I am stuck at a child's birthday party at lunch time!

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

City goods has been stored away for awhile, had a bit of free time today so dug it out and took a few photos.

Regards Paul.

IMG_2496.jpeg.c9f143183074e05a5ba40ed36f5753a9.jpeg

IMG_2499.jpeg.29951a9fca22d27a57a45764b6c76b7e.jpeg

IMG_2502.jpeg.70a7d88196bd996abda2254827978822.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg.971aa558ed1baff0fbdd3fc2f22916ab.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg.d14b92900ab445fe3ded01494935da6f.jpeg

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I do like that warwell wagon, very nice.

I have always liked this layout too.

Jerry.

Thank you Jerry. The warwell is the oxford rail one, the tank is a Cromwell airfix kit, it's the first airfix kit I've made in years, really enjoyed putting it together. I may buy some more warwell's so I can build more tanks.

Regards Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great idea using one of those clear boxes. It means you could see what was in it without having to take the lid off, which is what I always end up doing with storage boxes.

Agreed, this is a really clever design and great storage solution for a lovely bit of modelling, just a quick q, how do you get the layout out of the storage box, it looks a snug fit from the photos posted early on?

Does the baseboard have handles or holes to be able to lift it out?

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, this is a really clever design and great storage solution for a lovely bit of modelling, just a quick q, how do you get the layout out of the storage box, it looks a snug fit from the photos posted early on?

Does the baseboard have handles or holes to be able to lift it out?

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the compliment. No handles, I just lift it out very carefully holding the back boards, their 6mm ply so are fairly solid.

Regards Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a cracking little layout - very inspirational. I'm tempted to do something very similar, using a prototype nearby.

May I ask what you used for the baseboard? Thanks.

Thank you Chris, The baseboard is 6mm plywood mounted onto 1” batons.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul. Any developments?

Hi Chris, No developments with city goods, had a break from modelling over the summer, but I have submitted an entry to the Cakebox challenge, it seems to have kick started my modelling mojo again and got me thinking about building a new micro layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127244-canal-side/page-1

Regards Paul.

Cracking little layout this!
Just goes to show, you don't need loads of space to create big atmosphere :)

EDIT: I particularly like those night-time shots
and the open van - you don't see that modelled very often

Edited by marc smith

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that my Cakebox entry is finished, I’ve decided to build a new micro layout called Rural Goods. Like City Goods this will be housed in a plastic box designed for wrapping paper. Although this time the entire board will be scenic, with a Peco loco lift used for the fiddle yard.

The track is Peco Bullhead. The small station halt will be scratch built from coffee stirrers and the small goods shed will be made from a Wills kit.

IMG_0286.jpeg.b3cc350124eb1e82fe0af534ca3438e1.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg.a46e6dfbc9bc12c01016d7856ade5de8.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg.b7fef48bdacd42fdc11347903ff608cc.jpeg

More to follow.

Thanks for looking, regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Now that my Cakebox entry is finished, I’ve decided to build a new micro layout called Rural Goods. Like City Goods this will be housed in a plastic box designed for wrapping paper. Although this time the entire board will be scenic, with a Peco loco lift used for the fiddle yard.

Only this morning I reread all three pages of City Goods to familiarise myself and following your post in December (#69) was going to ask about your progress!

Love the initial images and very much look forward to seeing this evolve.

PS. Your Cakebox Challenge entry was superb...

Me likey!

The track plan reminds me very much of Juniper Hill - one of my all time favourite model railways. If this is anything like that, City Goods or your stunning box file entry then we're all in for a treat!

Any prototype inspiration?

• RMweb Gold

Only this morning I reread all three pages of City Goods to familiarise myself and following your post in December (#69) was going to ask about your progress!

Love the initial images and very much look forward to seeing this evolve.

PS. Your Cakebox Challenge entry was superb...

Thank you, this should hopefully be quite a quick build. It’s one thing I love about micro layouts they don’t take to long to progress to a good stage. I may do another Cakebox challenge after this, once I’ve come up with a good idea that is.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Me likey!

The track plan reminds me very much of Juniper Hill - one of my all time favourite model railways. If this is anything like that, City Goods or your stunning box file entry then we're all in for a treat!

Any prototype inspiration?

Thank you Chris, well spotted with the track plan, It is inspired by Juniper Hill. A great model.

Will hopefully be able to do regular updates on this build.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Track weathered using Humbrol dark brown spray paint, rail tops then cleaned up and track tested. Will add further weathering to the sleepers once the track has been ballasted.

IMG_0291.jpeg.4c0a9232d3447024d61ce9df07807c43.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg.11fe02c990f6c2fe6ec2032bde7fe093.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Next to the small goods shed I’m using Wills cobblestone sheets. This is my technique for painting them.

First I use Humbrol grey primer.

IMG_0293.jpeg.6822442e10705fdf62c9055a57d834f8.jpeg

Then I paint over a small area with black paint, and before this is aloud to dry I wipe of with a cloth, this leaves paint in the groves.

IMG_0294.jpeg.6ae7d655590b6107b40839bc86b7f08f.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg.ad961be825b1d979d68250805c1cca37.jpeg

I then continue until the whole sheet is painted.

IMG_0296.jpeg.ce2a98668f33add3e33b688c9b5e26fe.jpeg

Then finally I weather with powders.

IMG_0299.jpeg.5737834fe548052af199b06a707566fc.jpeg

I used the same technique on the granite sets on my Cakebox entry Canal Side.

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Over the last couple of days I have been working on the small station halt, its made from coffee stirrers, balsa wood and match sticks. I wanted it to have a rustic / neglected look.

IMG_0290.jpeg.1515d64f5b3cb49d3fd60773bc54b327.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg.ce8b00b0332b1dffa15fec611d879f4c.jpeg

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 11