DRS 37s on Norwich-Gt Yarmouth trains

railroadbill

Last Saturday a mate and myself went up to Norwich to travel on the Norwich-Great Yarmouth trains that are being worked by DRS 37s at the moment.  It was a 3 coach train with 37405 on one end and 37419 on the other.   The weather became a hot and sunny day so perfect for a trip to the seaside!

We had Wherry line ranger tickets, unlimited travel Norwich-Yarmouth-Lowestoft, only £6 with a railcard.

First of all, we travelled to Gt Yarmouth via Acle on a unit made up of 2 153s (including the one named "Michael Palin".) Then we caught the 37 operated Norwich train, which goes via Berney Arms and Reedham.  Interesting lines to travel, through Broads landscape, semaphore signals, lots of clickity click noises from rail joints as well.

post-4032-0-39779500-1465231406_thumb.jpg

post-4032-0-92575500-1465231425_thumb.jpg

37 419 at Gt Yarmouth heading 11.13 to Norwich.

post-4032-0-21729300-1465231447_thumb.jpg

37 419 arrived at Norwich.

post-4032-0-89160400-1465231751_thumb.jpg

37 405 at Norwich  heading 12.18 train to Gt Yarmouth.

Having travelled on the 37 train for 3 round trips, we headed to Reedham on a 156 to wait for a connection (another 156) to Lowestoft. This gave us enough time to see the 37s that were following, from Reedham station.  An excellent station, with semaphore signals.

post-4032-0-26267000-1465231473_thumb.jpg

37 405 heading through Reedham at 14.34

post-4032-0-69951800-1465231529_thumb.jpg

37 419 on back of Gt Yarmouth train leaving Reedham.

We finished by travelling to Ipswich on the East Suffolk line from Lowestoft then back south again on the mainline.

A great day on the rail, and those lines are worth a visit because of the vintage feel of them, even without the 37s. Semaphore signals, some single track, stations well kept up and many original buildings.

The day was a step back in time, don't think the 37 service will go on much longer.  I just had to share it here.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

And interestingly the coaches are fitted with jumper cables, and I noted (on a visit last week) that the locos seem to be working together. Super power!

Andy G

With 3 coaches they didn't hang around although I guess the maximum line speed wouldn't be that high? 

Had a run on the Cumbrian coast route with DRS 37 last August, which is of course a longer run. (We only did that one one way!)  However, the weekend of that trip was the last one DRS ran 2 locos per train, after that it was one 37 and a DBSO.

I believe there is a Network Rail test train that has 2 37s on it, would they both power that?

• 2 weeks later...

The day was a step back in time, don't think the 37 service will go on much longer.  I just had to share it here.

Thanks for sharing those photos - very nice.

Saw that set ticking over at Norwich Thorpe a couple of months ago. Closed my eyes and thought of......British Rail in the 1980's Happy memories!

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Norwich on Saturday 24/06/2016. The class 37s and mk2 set are still running. I could hear the different engine sound from a campsite in the country park! Better than the class 156!

At the station, in the carriage sidings near platform 1, was the West Coast Railway Company maroon coach set with a couple of class 57s top and tail. Bit of an over kill for DMU replacement!

There was also an DRS class 68,at the end of the royal dock. So that might get used in the future.

Tried to get a look at Crown Point depot. Could not get any good views.

Guest B Exam

I was at Norwich on Saturday 24/06/2016. The class 37s and mk2 set are still running. I could hear the different engine sound from a campsite in the country park! Better than the class 156!

At the station, in the carriage sidings near platform 1, was the West Coast Railway Company maroon coach set with a couple of class 57s top and tail. Bit of an over kill for DMU replacement!

There was also an DRS class 68,at the end of the royal dock. So that might get used in the future.

Tried to get a look at Crown Point depot. Could not get any good views.

The West Coast 57s and stock were off the NENTA railtour at the weekend awaiting movement back to Carnforth on Sun 26th.

• 1 year later...

Was walking past Gt Yarmouth station earlier today and the 37 short set was in (sounded great when it pulled out). At a glance it looks as if the bso has been replaced with a dbso, but still had a 37 at each end. Can anyone confirm if i saw right? And if so why aren't they using the set in push/pull format? (Isn't cumbria 37 working in push/pull?)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

There is a dbso in the set at the moment, the reason its not been used as a driving cab is Anglia drivers don't sign them.

They are completely different from when they were on the London trains

• 1 year later...

Out of interest, are these workings still ongoing or did they cease within the past few weeks as the new DMUs arrived? I ask as I will very soon be in Norfolk and will be bl**dy annoyed if I've missed them! I know that pre-grouping steam is more my thing but there's still something special about a loco hauling a train in everyday service in this country...

Just missed a shot of them yesterday  morning  at Thorpe St Andrew bridge .Couldn't get the iPhone up and running and sort out dogs in the micro seconds it was there .I did the same thing at Wroxham when an RTT set was crossing the bridge .Just stooped down to to pick up an doggie deposit and there it was ........gone.

Edited by friscopete
  • Informative/Useful 1

One final question on this, and I know it's not suitable for this section, but can anyone say how much resignalling has actually taken place? I know Reedham Junction 'Box has gone, but how many (if any) of the others?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

One final question on this, and I know it's not suitable for this section, but can anyone say how much resignalling has actually taken place? I know Reedham Junction 'Box has gone, but how many (if any) of the others?

Cantley reduced to gate box.

Brundall Junciton remodelled.

• Informative/Useful 1