Shell Island

Neil

As a suggestion..............I would think, the only way to reduce the amount of dust is to create a positive pressure environment surrounding the model.

In other words, some sort of 'cocoon', with a slightly pressurised atmosphere maintained within.

I believe something on a larger scale is available to keep precious old vehicles in?

I also believe diesel loco carbodies [uS of A experience only]....were 'pressurised' to reduce ingress of dirt?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps layouts could be stored upside down?

Nice to see Shell Island again.  Beautifully executed and one of my favourite small/micro layouts.

• RMweb Gold

When I saw the his topic, my first thought was 'Oh no, it's been/being scrapped', then I thought 'It's for sale, but I probably can't afford it'.

As others have said, despite being such a simple layout, it is so well executed it inspired me to start proper layout modelling.

To protect from dust you could try wrapping in a roll of large bubble wrap, or layers of cling film.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An inspirational layout. A true classic.

The feeling of space is something I try to capture with my modest efforts.

Rob.

• Like 1

So good to see. With that kickback siding is it a two-loco operation, or do you propel or pull down the line from "elsewhere" depending on the intended shunt?

aac

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the kind comments and dust busting suggestions.

To answer the last couple of questions, Shell Island is lit by three 12v spotlights (halogen I think) and while not ideal they're a reasonable compromise at giving the look of a warm sunny day.

Operation is a two loco affair, BR power propels the train in from an assumed junction with the Cambrian Coast Line, industrial shunters scuttle around exchanging wagons from the explosives stores and RAE Llanbedr. The goods shed on the kick back rarely sees use.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Neil.

Whilst I appreciate they have appeared elsewhere, any chance of a few more photos?

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting Neil. Great little layout and as most people have said , very inspirational .

Any thoughts on a Morfa Mk2 type of thing ? (he asks hopefully)

All the best , Kev

Morfa Mk 2 probably won't happen. At the moment I'm still in limbo with the family seat still on the market. When moved I should be able to sharpen my thoughts about Morfa's successor. All I have worked out for now is that it will be in OO rather than EM and probably will not be another Cambrian themed layout.

• RMweb Premium

Why OO, I don't doubt what you will do will look amazing but why compromise?

In some ways EM could be seen as the compromise, a pragmatic half way house between the quick and easy OO and the more demanding but greater fidelity of P4. However there's a better argument that whatever standard we choose comes with compromise, that we should accept this and plump for whatever one best fits our needs at the time. In my case OO is the standard adopted by my neighbourhood friends, it's therefore a more sociable choice and I'm looking forward to using bomb proof Peco track which will take far less time to construct and lay. It also means I'll be saved the faff of converting stock to run on a different gauge, not a huge problem with some stuff but an absolute with others. Bit of a no brainer really.

I've also been developing the theory that track gauge/standards are immaterial to the overall attractiveness of a layout. To illustrate this argument I'll submit my most recent layout Little Point, built to 009 standards which commonly represents narrow gauges from about 18" to 3'.

• Like 3

In some ways EM could be seen as the compromise, a pragmatic half way house between the quick and easy OO and the more demanding but greater fidelity of P4. However there's a better argument that whatever standard we choose comes with compromise, that we should accept this and plump for whatever one best fits our needs at the time. In my case OO is the standard adopted by my neighbourhood friends, it's therefore a more sociable choice and I'm looking forward to using bomb proof Peco track which will take far less time to construct and lay. It also means I'll be saved the faff of converting stock to run on a different gauge, not a huge problem with some stuff but an absolute ###### with others. Bit of a no brainer really.

I've also been developing the theory that track gauge/standards are immaterial to the overall attractiveness of a layout. To illustrate this argument I'll submit my most recent layout Little Point, built to 009 standards which commonly represents narrow gauges from about 18" to 3'.

Sound arguments there. If the gauge on Shell Island was 16.5mm I'd be cheeky & volunteer to look after it to keep it dust free ;D even if it "crossed The Pond" in the process (I still have a few US HO locos) :O :nono: ....but as it is, I've never owned any EM stuff :blush:

Re the "why compromise" aspect, I've come across this in US O Scale. I'm hand laying my track; a long & sometimes tedious business, & seen the comment "why hand build to the wrong gauge??" (32mm as opposed to the correct, narrower, Proto48gauge of 31.-something or other) My reply was that I would do so if that was all that was involved; but it also needs new wheelsets and narrowing of trucks - extra expense as well as time. Sometimes, we just HAVE to compromise, & to be honest, gauge is the easiest thing to compromise on, yet with care in track laying, painting & detailing, one of the best compromises to disguise.

Edited by F-UnitMad

• 1 month later...

I've - for a long time now - been looking at the picture of (what I've only for an hour now known as) Shell Island on the cover of Paul Lunn's book and been trying to find more info on it. And only by sheer coincidence did I stumble across your blog today. I am totally in love with SI, and I wonder if recreating and working it in N gauge could be done in a minimum space. I guess I'll have to find out myself, now that I've seen pics of the trackplan, too. Thanks so much for inspiring me with this minimalist masterpiece!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

hi neil . i havent done any posts on this site . but all ways been inspired by your shell lsland layout . ever since i 1st came across it in the railway modeller and it was only the other day when going through some of my own pictures  i found some of my attemp hope you doint mind as its a bit of a copy track and idea wise , shame was i sold it on and regretted it i didnt save many pics but thought you might like a look . i built it to run BR stock and IRISH stock and it dus not show much of the slip way  and 2 of the pics are pre grass etc   cheers kevin

post-26535-0-70054700-1499984034.jpg

post-26535-0-87599900-1499984073_thumb.jpg

post-26535-0-20569000-1499984102.jpg

post-26535-0-67692200-1499984180.jpg

post-26535-0-33757500-1499984194.jpg

• Like 10

o yes I should say that . I added a small way side hault   for some think like a small  rail car . 121 class or Heljan  park royal . just for summer traffic to the beaches near by . my idear was that the branch line was owned by the MOD ,and the goods shed was a transfer point for the near by fire ing ranges used a few times a year,