Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to all those who guessed the 4TC. Hopefully this goes well for Kernow

ando some clever joined up thinking to offer reductions on Heljan 33s when ordered at the same time.

Atb

Nik

Edited by Spannerman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That was the best kept secret then ;)

Lovely to see this, but that nearly £300 is 'eye-watering'. Still, I will try to get at least one (B/G, no light, no NSE, obviously ;) )

• RMweb Premium

Nice!  I dread to think how much a powered 4-REP would have been if four unpowered coaches weighs in at the thick end of 270 sheets though!!!

4 unpowered coaches at £67.50 each - Right-o. Ill gamble that these wont sell and will be reduced

And yes it is a 'too expensive' gripe - but it really is this time. Murphy Models Cravens/BR Mk2D coaches were made in less numbers (models that is) and were cheaper.........

January is not a good time to launch given many will be skint after Christmas

A nice model though

Edited by LaGrange

Murphy Models Cravens/BR Mk2D coaches were made in less numbers (models that is) and were cheaper.........

That was about 4/5 years ago though wasn't it?

This product is completely new tooling; Kernow MRC are generally happy to keep stock available for quite a time without any early reductions.

Good to see a model announced on which considerable work has already been completed and which is that bit closer to release.

Too late and too blue for me but it does look like a stonking model, Kernow deserve to do well with it.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aaaaaaannnnnnddddddd - ordered :D

Best wishes to KMRC in this venture.  I have to say the test shot looks mighty good and I can't wait to see and in due course receive an original blue one.  Possibly a b/g one later on as well.  A new 33/1 is already in the mail from another supplier. Edit: Ordered before Kernow MRC announced their special offers on 33/1 Cromptons to complement the 4TC

Price?  It's well within what I perceive to be the ballpark for an illuminated 4-car commissioned unit requiring all-new tooling in 2016.  Maybe more than some can afford but we live in a new world order now.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the extra two NSE coaches will be available to include in 8007?

Now, if Dapol and Heljan (perhaps via Kernow?) can announce 73205 and 83301 (even with the wrong bogies), it will save me time and I can retire my converted Lima versions!

Looks splendid.

A REP can emerge from that with some bits and bobs and a big saw.

Although I could weep at how close this is to a CIG yet how far it is too.That would be a major chop shop session... 

Wow, great news, well done Kernow.

Ps. Could everyone who is about to post with something along the lines of 'gee I want one but its too expensive, or wow thats expensive or I cant afford one., please don't bother because I'm bored already and don't care. If you cant afford it or think its too expensive then don't buy it, simple really.

Looks very nice. Will be interested to see what they do about the curtains and underframe colour on the early blue version.

While the model itself is worthy of discussion the price is a valid aspect, it's nigh on 20% of the average spend according to Andy.  At least one person has the disposable income, many will not so I hope this doesn't become a point of discord.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very drastically in just about every respect.

Too true. The VEP was a high-density outer-suburban untit with doors to almost every compartment. The REP a main-line unit with few doors. Chalk and cheese.

• Like 1

I think the price is a valid subject for discussion.  It seems very high, though I suspect Bachmann have Kernow over a barrel there - I'd imagine Kernow have to cover the full development cost, and have calculated covering that cost from the first batch of models, just in case delivery ends up being slow and the exclusivity period ends before subsequent batches are sold.  Although I say that the price is high, what would be a fair price?  £45 a coach is not far off normal for new releases of high standard now, so that puts £180 right off the bat.  Looking for similar products globally, I'd compare it to a couple of Belgian models.  A set of five M6 coaches from Classix (an exclusive production of Heris models) is €270, so approx £215.  That only has one driving end, so that's probably broadly comparable.  However, they have wider distribution than Kernow, not being limited to one shop.  A shop exclusive, the Olearts AM80 "Break" sells for €489 as a three car EMU, so £385.  Next to that, £270 seems reasonable.  Making these comparisons, now I'm over the initial shock at the price, I'd say it's actually reasonable.  I'd better hurry up and finish my own TC!

• Like 2