Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I've just pre-ordered a blue one and my credit card has been billed immediately for the full amount. I thought pre-orders were only billed at shipment.  The web-site is also quoting £14.99 for standard delivery and free delivery for Interlink, and this despite the web-site saying orders over £150 are free delivery. I will be contacting Kernow.

How drastically different does a VEP look from a REP?  Just wondering if I could get away with the Hornby VEP to run with one (or two) ...

:scratchhead: Can I get away with pushing it with a class 26? They all look the same don't they?

I've just pre-ordered a blue one and my credit card has been billed immediately for the full amount. I thought pre-orders were only billed at shipment.  The web-site is also quoting £14.99 for standard delivery and free delivery for Interlink, and this despite the web-site saying orders over £150 are free delivery. I will be contacting Kernow.

I believe it gets refunded virtually immediately to your card, it's the way their payment gateway works on pre-orders to validate that the payment details are genuine. The actual payment would be taken at the point of despatch.

• RMweb Premium

How drastically different does a VEP look from a REP?  Just wondering if I could get away with the Hornby VEP to run with one (or two) ...

The couplers, gangways and air-horns are the same ;)

Very drastically in just about every respect.

Kinda expected, I thought a simple question might be quicker than spending an hour trawling the web looking.

Back to option 1 then of a 33/1 or 73.  A shame as I have an unpowered 73 I picked up cheaply as a non runner to go with my CEP and VEP fleet but I don't think that would work so well with an unpowered 4-TC except in a siding.

• RMweb Premium

Matters arising:

Kernow MRC's system charges in full for pre-orders but refunds in full within 24 hours; it's the way their set-up works and is a cross-check that it's a legitimate card

The same system also assigns a shipping price but again if the order falls within the remit of their free shipping you will not be charged at despatch for the shipping

Overseas customers concerned about bank fees applied to charge-back transactions can always order by phone or email instead and obtain the same prices for this and all other pre-order items.

You can run a 4TC with a 33/1 and a 4Vep but not with a 4Vep alone as that would provide insufficient power.  The balance to the working quoted above was a down evening Southampton / Salisbury semi-fast formed of 4Vep, 4TC and 33/1 which divided at Basingstoke.  Such was the versatility of the SR 27-way control system which has now been lost.  

You can remove the TF from the Kernow original blue 4TC and run 3 cars as a 3TC though strictly they would need renumbering.  You could buy two 4TC units and run a 33/1 plus 8Tc or with a TF removed 33/1 plus 7TC which has been seen on the main line more than once.  You could even run two halves of Hornby 4Vep units with a suitable buffet car in between as the 5-car portion of 8Vab 8001 coupled to a 3TC which occurred at least once though I believe not in passenger service.  The 8Vab was almost always used in its entirety but could be split 3 and 5.  I have it on record as once working 5Vab+3TC+4Vep on a Bournemouth - Waterloo semi-fast.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news. I love the all blue edition. Will there be curtains at the windows where applicable?

Thank you Kernow.

Gerry

I understand they are intended.

Here we go again ................. !!!!

ANDY - please can we have a "Moans about Bachmann Prices" thread, to which ALL such postings MUST be uploaded on pain of banning? Then those not so afflicted can simply ignore it.

There are some very nice cars in the Jaguar range which I would certainly buy if I could afford it - but I can't. Do I deluge every car-related discussion group about Jaguar's prices - do I **** !!

Face it - there will be items in any range of products which we would like but cannot afford; including model railways.

That's life - deal with it.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That was about 4/5 years ago though wasn't it?

This product is completely new tooling; Kernow MRC are generally happy to keep stock available for quite a time without any early reductions.

Agreed - but the Murphy models were made in much smaller numbers. Suprised Kernow did not go directly to the factory, cut the middle man out of the equation

Ps. Could everyone who is about to post with something along the lines of 'gee I want one but its too expensive, or wow thats expensive or I cant afford one., please don't bother because I'm bored already and don't care. If you cant afford it or think its too expensive then don't buy it, simple really.

Im glad you are bored. Dont forget this is a consumers forum as much as it is a modellers forum.

Edited by LaGrange

Agreed - but the Murphy models were made in much smaller numbers. Suprised Kernow did not go directly to the factory, cut the middle man out of the equation

Im glad you are bored. Dont forget this is a consumers forum as much as it is a modellers forum.

RMweb.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

The price is a valid concern, so banning discussion of it would be unfair. However, it is what it is so posts simply wishing it would be lower would be too much I think. As regards what is got for the price, we need to remember that this is not just four coaches. It's an integrated unit with lighting, wiring, decoder socket, etc, so far more advanced and I'd expect the price to reflect that. It's also a commission, so again that would up the price.

And before anyone complains, I'm one of the ones who wants one of these, I have practically no budget, and if I have to miss it I will. It will be beyond a struggle for me to get one, but I'd rather have one good model like this, than two or three of much more basic standard, or even worse, of poor quality (see 4VEP).

Given the amount of divination on the other now closed thread predicting a TC set, it's probably the least surprising surprise announcement ever made, but even as an obsessive "real electrics wear coathangers" fan I think this is an excellent announcement as the TCs did seem to wander over the network like the lost tribes of the Israelites and the fact it is so close to production is even better.  The test shots look extremely good.

It might also explain why the Bachmann "Year of NSE" announcement was slightly underwhelming from the point of view of the OO releases, given the advanced state of design this model clearly is at they presumably wanted to avoid stealing any shock and awe generated by this model.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

I'm glad your glad, my statement stands don't like the price don't buy it! Why tell the rest of us you cant afford it? Id like a Jaguar too but hey ho.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting announcement and very tempting (perhaps with a class 74?)

Having seen the speculation about it I am not really surprised about price. The Bachmann 50' inspection coaches due for release soon have an RRP of £60 each. Add to that interior lighting and the couplings have integrated electrical plugs/sockets (it was mentioned on the Underground S stock threads how expensive these are), they seem therefore to be about the going rate.  

• RMweb Gold

This looks to be a smasher of a model of one of my favourite prototype EMU's.

Is it too expensive? For something of limited appeal, in the general scheme of model railways (i.e. not everyone is into SR multiple units), I really don't think so. The detail on this stunning. It's pretty much a 4-Cep, less the motor bogie.

Am I going to buy one? I would in a heartbeat, but personal circumstances conspire at this moment in time, so at the moment no. Am I going to moan about this? No, not Kernow or Bachmann's fault I can't afford one atm.

Plus I have a kitbash / scratchbuilt one to finish.... whether it's finished before the Kernow one arrives remains to be seen.

I for one though hopes this leads on to a 4-Cig appearing at some point.....

• RMweb Premium

Silly question - if three of the cars are new tooling (and the driving trailers must be) which of the BSK or the FK is new or modified?

Oh - can I add, that despite what the price would be, can we have a 4REP as well now? ;) :D

Edit: My bad. The driving trailers would be one tooling, so all the cars are new! :banghead:

Edited by Ian J.

Never thought I'd see the day a 4TC was produced in RTR model form, and I'm only 17. Very welcome announcement, best start saving up.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

The BSK would need a new moulding as the guards office side had the guards window blanked off compared to a standard BSK. As far as I recall, the FK wasn't much different from a standard one, except the ends being modified like the rest.

• RMweb Premium

Silly question - if three of the cars are new tooling (and the driving trailers must be) which of the BSK or the FK is new or modified?

Oh - can I add, that despite what the price would be, can we have a 4REP as well now? ;) :D

Are 2 of the coaches the same? Are the 2 driving trailers identical?