Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

It's a real shame to see the company go into ruins, coopercraft have an excellent range of kits, but I would love if the guy was to own up and say that he cannot do business anymore, it's shocking to see that his website allows you to buy stuff off it. (Surely some legal action can happen?)

With regards to the moulds, I don't see how they can be worn out, the ratio range of carriages are still going well, providing they are on the same mould, that is?

At the end of the day all I want is honesty and to prevent people's money being lost and him still gaining revenue.

• RMweb Gold

Only the PO wagons are available from Powsides, not the Midland wagons.

A big shame, there were some great wagons. I have a MR cattle wagon that I can't put together as the solebars packed in it are different lengths! Given up trying to get a response from CC to change them. 

many/most/all of the original Coopercraft moulds were in brass, relatively thin sheets, hand engraved by Strigon pantograph milling machines. The moulds have not been stored well, and are most likely now covered in verdigris as well as well worn. The photos on the 'contact us' page are not a photos taken at Mr. Dunn's site, probably at the previous owner's.

There don't seem to be many of those around this way, but I'll try to look out for them. There's nothing on eBay at the moment.

I thought I might have had some, but I only seem to have two of each of the ones I want, both finished in EM, and one part built loco coal wagon that would be difficult to slice up to convert to broad gauge.

Why not just scratch-build them? If you have enough information to modify the kits you've probably got enough to scratch-build them.

Why not just scratch-build them? If you have enough information to modify the kits you've probably got enough to scratch-build them.

It's just a couple of cuts in the ends, insert some bits of plasticard and scribe planking, then build the kit as normal. Not much longer to do than building the kit as intended. I'm trying to get some wagons together quickly. Scratchbuilding can come later when I've got a working layout with enough stock.

It's just a couple of cuts in the ends, insert some bits of plasticard and scribe planking, then build the kit as normal. Not much longer to do than building the kit as intended. I'm trying to get some wagons together quickly. Scratchbuilding can come later when I've got a working layout with enough stock.

Here's one someone else has done:

http://www.lutrainz.com/Broad_Gauge_4plank.html

• Like 2

+

Looks like the lack of business expertise

does not know when to seek professional

help.

Small businesses usually work together when

they have a common goal.

There are plenty of injection molding tool

makers around - even within the Trade!

Noel

Apart from the bit on how to convert CC1004s into broad gauge wagons, didn't we already do all this in the last Coopercraft thread ?

The problem with this new bit of the discussion is how to get hold of the kits to do it! I've discovered I've got three started, but unassembled, ABS 4 plank opens, that I may be able to use instead, but I think it will be a harder job with whitemetal than it would be with plastic. I'm about to measure up the loco coal wagon, as I think I may be able to convert that too.

Which, to me, is one of the major problems with Coopercraft falling into a big black hole. They did a useful range of early 20th century GWR wagons, some of which can be backdated to 19th century versions. Almost everything else on the market seems to be too modern, and others that have been available in the past are also unavailable or elusive.

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried eBay? Coopercraft and Slater's Wagon kits regularly make an appearance. I don't know how much they go for I'm afraid but it's always worth a gander.

Edited by Tim Dubya

Have you tried eBay? Coopercraft and Slater's Wagon kits regularly make an appearance. I don't know how much they go for I'm afraid but it's always with a gander.

Nothing there at the moment. There are some O gauge ones, but I've got more than enough GWR wagons for my Kent & East Sussex layout!

A Google search found an online shop selling them, but I thought it was a good idea to e-mail before ordering, which was wise as they've just e-mailed to say they don't have any.

• Like 1

My son ordered a couple of LNER full brakes for my birthday in February 2015. Not heard a dickie bird since, no reponse to emails, phone not answered and no reply by snail mail.

Edit.

Just decided to ring and guess what? I got a reply. Also got a bit of waffle, but he did sound hopeful of fulfilling the order. I am not though, but will give him another couple of months.

Edited by JZ

With Hornby bringing out the Q6 this week I guess demand for the Slaters NER hopper will become even greater?

It's certainly the one I wish I had bought plenty of when they where readily available

Buy the Hornby all steel ones while still available at reasonable prices in the Sale!

The last Slaters one I saw on eBay was going for over £18!

Mark Saunders

Hi,

Just seen this thread. Now semi retired I am away quite a lot.  Most of this has already been covered in the earlier (now locked) thread. To answer a few things raised earlier.  Injection mould tools, even if made in brass will almost certainly outlive any demand likely to be made for model railway kits. I don't recall ever wearing one out. It is of course possible to damage or destroy them if not used correctly or attempts are made to alter them by someone who lacks the necessary skills.  In some ways it is gratifying that some modellers would still like to buy kits that I produced the tooling for thirty odd years ago. A range that (unfortunately) still bears my name and which as far as I can see has not been produced for some time. When I started my coach kit range in the 80s there was no suitable small injection moulding machine on the market so I persuaded Austen Allen to produce a specially widened version of their 250PRT machine for which I did the design. All of the long mouldings were produced on these. The range was first sold to Colin Ashby along with one of the machines. When he sold the range on to the then owner of Coopercraft/Mailcoach ,Tony Brown, Colin continued to produce these long mouldings for him as the Coopercraft machine was not suitable. The present owner of Coopercraft collected the moulds from Colin A with the intention of altering them to fit his machine. A job for a skilled engineer and one that I would have been reluctant to take on after 40+ years in the business. I think that the stock of mouldings which were passed on are now exhausted and the possibility of new production remains to be seen.  I still have a website for my O gauge models and have had the odd  enquiries about the 00 ones including some tales of unfulfilled orders in fact although I have had nothing to do with this for 20 years or so I have made a couple ex- gratia refunds to people whose orders had not been fulfilled.  On the bright side, in the late 80s we were turning out 600 units a week. A lot of these kits remain unbuilt and come up through the second hand market. I buy mine there even though it hurts to pay current prices for something I sold for a few pounds when new!

A year or two ago David White (Slaters) told me that his dealings with Coopercraft  were going to have to be settled in the Courts. I don't know the outcome so will not comment further.

A reputation is hard to build and easy to lose I fear that Coopercraft will have to work very hard to regain lost ground.  Updating a list of what is actually available and eliminating a huge list of what is not would be a good first move.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 5

The Coopercraft/Slaters wagon ranges was one of the best ranges on the market when I first started railway modelling 10 years ago. However, I rememeber the malarkey I had when I tried to order one of the Pooley Wagon Weighbridges in September 2012. I had the same problems as many of you people did and I wasn't very impressed with the customer service. Put me off shopping with him afterwards...

After that I didn't pay much attention to Coopercraft until last year when I saw they were doing the GWR G1/18 Loriot D from the Blacksmith range. Once again I had no replies to any enquiries on this kit. It annoyed me as I was going to get one of these kits for a friend as a way of saying thank you for refurbishing 50 or so various wagons (including Coopercraft and Slaters wagons). In the end, I pre-ordered him 2 Hornby SR Maunsell Cattle wagons as they'll be more use to him...!!

I've also spoke to my friend in regards to this situation and from what he's told me is that he runs a farm alongside his elderly mother so he has to priortise between his company and the farm. Whilst this should not be used as an excuse for the numerous issues several people have had, it may explain why we've been waiting a long time for some items.

It's a shame to see this company has been reduced to the current situation it's in and I hope someday that it does get back on it's feet. At the sametime, I'm always on the lookout for any Coopercraft/Slaters wagons nowadays and looking at ebay, some of the wagons are starting to go the same way as those of the MAJ range or others that are no longer produced...

I've got 3 shiny "new" Coopercraft 4 plank opens on my modelling bench, and 2 loco coal wagons in the post, but I could do with more 4 planks. See my post in the Wanted Forum. These all came up on eBay since this topic started, so they are available if you watch out for them. Not as good as buying new from the manufacturer or a shop though.

• Like 1