more special offers - Shapeways

I'm not sure this qualifies as a special offer.

I'm very concerned that many of my models will be in the goes up in price category as they are already larger being primarily HO scale structures and rail vehicles.

We shall see. I can see this cutting back on how much 3D printing I am doing in the future.

Stephen

The cost of FUD will drop for 70% of models.  Well I've tried working out how much my latest model will be after the new pricing structure.  It has 8 parts.  It all appears to depend upon how much support is used.  If it only uses a small amount of support the cost could be 60% of todays cost, but using a lot of support will lead to a price increase. So do I buy now or wait?

Oh FFS.

Just when my current range has finally become stable and printing reliably it seems I may have to redesign the whole sodding caboodle, tell me I'm wrong please otherwise I'll shoot myself with a bananna.

Seriously. Is the redesign good or bad news? :(

Price drop sounds great though.

Relying in a 3dmodeller to do much of my legwork I hope it does not mean too much work as it may end up killing many of the lesser bought models.

On the flip side though, if we do see some serious reductions that can only be a good thing towards increasing the profile of 3d printing - during the sales around Christmas my sales surged significantly.

Oh FFS.

Just when my current range has finally become stable and printing reliably it seems I may have to redesign the whole sodding caboodle, tell me I'm wrong please otherwise I'll shoot myself with a bananna.

Seriously. Is the redesign good or bad news? :(

Price drop sounds great though.

Your biggest problem will be the cost of the support material inside your shells. Work out the volume inside and add $0.50 per cubic centimetre to the current cost. Then knock off $2.50 for the drop in per-print charge. Sounds like your prices would go up a bit.

Your biggest problem will be the cost of the support material inside your shells. Work out the volume inside and add $0.50 per cubic centimetre to the current cost. Then knock off $2.50 for the drop in per-print charge. Sounds like your prices would go up a bit.

My prices have been way higher than I wanted them since day one and have been stuck in lowering them so this is worrying. It depends which way you orient the model apparently. I have been reading the Shapeways forum and on the new system everything will automatically default to the cheapest option but many also say that will often give the worst print result so we will have to flip things back.

Most of the current range is low part count so I should be safe there at least.

Will have to see and then have a faff, I'm just loath of the possibility to have to redesign literally all the loco files.......again...again......................again....again....again..............

:-/

The numbers are based on products sold in FUD in 2016 :) so 70% of the products sold in 2016 are going to be cheaper.

unlike with the WSF repricing where it was just about the uploaded models (and thus a $54.000 Hummer that was going to change to $52.000 was considered as "yay it's going to be cheaper" even tho nobody would every buy one)

Also what gives best orientation for loco bodies?

Opinions are divided but seeing as I do not yet have a printer at home I can not experiment myself.

It would be useful if I know what orientation is cheaper and what orientation would give best print. The latter being most important.

I'm guessing as you see it the right way up might print better but cost most?

What about cab or smokebox down and print like a tower?

Opinions are divided but seeing as I do not yet have a printer at home I can not experiment myself.

It would be useful if I know what orientation is cheaper and what orientation would give best print. The latter being most important.

Any surface in contact with the support wax gets a poorer finish. Usually, you'd want you loco bodies printed right-way up so that the good finish was on the most-visible parts. 

If you print it with smokebox down, then the whole of the boiler and smokebox and running plate is in the wax to support the overhang of the cab. Your cab fittings will print better but all the rest suffers.

If you print it smokebox up, then the inside of the cab is in the wax. There would be some support material next to the boiler, supporting the smokebox where it overhangs the boiler cladding, and supporting the chimney and the dome and the safety valves. The smokebox would be mainly clean, except aft of the chimney. Running plate and any side tanks should be cleanish, but any detail on top of tanks would entail support on the tank top behind that detail. This orientation would probably add a lot of wax (=cost) to the print and it's tall so the machine-space charges would be high. I would not go this way; I think it would cost more and give a poorer result.

IMHO, I think your only lower-cost route for printing steam-engine bodies in FUD is to do them as kits.

Ok many thanks for the info. Looks as though they might be printed correct way up then when the changes are implemented as quality is most important. The prices have always been a major issue to me, one of the reasons for thinking of buying a printer myself. I don't mind the prices for myself but I'm thinking for others.

I would convert some as kits but only if there is enough interest as I have found out time wasters are rife where they ask you to modify something - you agree and do - then they decide they don't want to buy it....

Why bloomin' ask then? :-/

My post on the Shapeways forums might help.

tUYRLYw.jpg

We'll launch a visualization tool, this shows where the support will be (in case of trains bathtub is lower quality but way cheaper)

As for getting a machine, the printer costs roughly $50K (excl the other post production things you need)

Edited by SpoorObjecten

So I've been on the Shapeways site this morning and the FUD prices haven't changed.

Shapeways has posted in their forums that the new pricing will go live on Wednesday May 24th now.

-Stephen

I've took some screenshots of my public Shapeways part of the shop to see what changes are most obvious.

Does the print orientation automatically change to cheapest too?

If so then it's more work to turn them back I guess. I say that as for loco chassis the general opinion I gather is that the print best correct way up.

Edited by Knuckles

Be carefull.

I checked mine as the FUD E2's have become cheaper (other loco's seem the same)

I checked the print orientation, literally just looked at it and it wiped out my mark-up.

I had to scrabble and set it back quickly.

I've had a look at a sample of 4 of my models - 

a) Open wagon body with underframe in situ, printed 'right way up' - 16% cheaper

b) Tank loco body, printed 'right way up' - 37% more expensive

c) Carriage body without roof or floor, printed 'right way up' - 67% cheaper

d) Van body without roof or floor, printed on it's side - 37% cheaper