Which DCC system do you use for your Exhibition layout?

Just wondering what the owners of exhibition layouts use in the way of DCC systems these days?

I was always a huge Lenz fan from around 2003 and both my exhibition layouts used this system. When I retired my Holland Park exhibition layout I sold my Lenz gear. Having now built a small exhibition layout I was wondering what system to get. Lenz and Digitrax was a bit lavish for a 6' by 1' layout so I went for a NCE Powercab. I am really impressed now I have learnt most of the features.

We use Lenz very good for our layout 

I started with a Lenz Compact back in 2003 and then upgraded to the Lenz LH100 which is a great reliable system. I just feel Lenz has now been left behind as they don't seem to upgrade the system. Still a very capable system though but to extravagant for my small layout though.

• RMweb Premium

I use a Roco Multi Maus on my current and previous layouts. I find the centre off control knob ideal for shunting operations and find the handsets themselves to be simpler and easier to use than the Gaugemaster Prodigy that is used on Black Country Blues.

• Like 1

I started with the Roco multimaus and added the z21. I can use my tablet or smartphone with the z21 and the multimaus. I love programming with the z21, it`s a lot easier than the multimaus.

• Like 1

Uhlenbrock Daisy-II.  

Not aware of that one, will have to do some googling!

I use a Roco Multi Maus on my current and previous layouts.

I used to use a MutiMaus handset with my Lenz system, quite liked it.

Roco Multimaus, JMRI running a mixture of Expressnet and MERG point control units. Two exhibitions now using this system.

Previously used ZTC, replaced as it was worn out.

• Like 1

Lenz for the big layout with ZugDCC computer cabs and LokMaus2 and Lenz with LH100 and phone cabs for the club layout, with Bachmann E-Z Command for the little layout.

Would not recommend the Lenz due to restricted feature set and reliability problems when trying to do anything beyond the really basic. Lenz has really had its day with no proper manufacturer support.

• Like 1

I am well impressed with the NCE Powercab and now have a Cab04. My 6' long layout doesn't warrant anything more powerful.

The same for me, my layout is 13ft x 1ft and as Nick says nothing more is needed.I'm only running EMUs and the occasional loco.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Digitrax form day one of using DCC. Recent years we have added wireless control through JMRI, touch screen PCs and iPods etc.

We would have gone with the Digitrax a Duplex wifi controllers but they took so long to bring a UK complaint one that we went for the above option and haven't regretted it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Small branchline layout, Coldfair Green, uses an Uhlenbrock Daisy-II.     Fits hand incredibly well.   I've not met anyone yet who hasn't been impressed with the handset compared to what they used from other makers. 

I'd not seen one of those before, when the time comes to replace/upgrade from my trusty Multimaus, that looks like a very worthy replacement.

I started with the Roco multimaus and added the z21. I can use my tablet or smartphone with the z21 and the multimaus. I love programming with the z21, it`s a lot easier than the multimaus.

I've always used a Sprog and JMRI to adjust CVs, prefer that to trying to do it through a hand throttle.

Nice system, not seen many of them on the exhibition circuit, watch me get proved wrong now.

Yup 50200 on Hobbs Warren and Warren Hill. We get quite a few interested parties around the back at times. So much easier to operate with a large loco stack than any other system we tried.

We use a Digitrax system on Heworth Sidings, which is a reasonably big modular N Gauge layout at 28' x 9'. We also use JMRI to operate the layout, making use of a Panel for turnout control / routes and Throttles to run the loco's from the Fiddle Yard. Shunting movements on the scenic boards are controlled by Digitrax hand throttles.

• Like 1

Small branchline layout, Coldfair Green, uses an Uhlenbrock Daisy-II

Never heard of it before but just googled it and it looks a nice little system. How many functions can it access on a sound chip?  

Would not recommend the Lenz due to restricted feature set and reliability problems when trying to do anything beyond the really basic. Lenz has really had its day with no proper manufacturer support.

As I mentioned I used a Lenz system for many years but sold it when I lost my modelling mojo. Now I have my interest back I bought the NCE Powercab but wouldn't buy a Lenz system again with the lack of updates it has had.

[uhlenbrock Daisy-II]   Never heard of it before but just googled it and it looks a nice little system. How many functions can it access on a sound chip?

All of them (0-29 , the manual talks of accessing thousands of functions, which is way more than current decoders support).

Support for 0-24 is better than the others, as for 0-24 unique function icons and latching can be programmed for each loco in the roster. Being able to set the latching / not-latching for functions is very useful for sound decoders.

- Nigel

• Like 1

On my Campbell Riverside layout I use Lenz 100 set, and a Roco Lokmaus as an additional hand set.  The Lokmaus is great for shunting loco's to and fro, but it is limited by the No. of functions.  If I do decide to change at anytime I may consider the Roco multimaus or  a Digitrax set up.

• Like 1