Fallout for us from "Brexit"...

F-UnitMad

Well Britain has voted to leave the EU, & the £ has plunged to a 30-year low against the $.

For now at least, it has just got rather more expensive to live in the UK but want to buy model trains from America.... :mad: :(

That's the main impact on me, so far, anyway!!! :jester:

I suspect long term  it will effect UK modellers of mainland European railways more than us. I do (did?) look for things I want in Europe first because of the whole VAT thing, but always end up buying from the US anyway as they aren't in stock.

I knew I shouldn't have put off buying those PD3000 Hoppers tho :(

• RMweb Premium

I believe that models made in China are paid for in dollars, I expect that it will not be just the US (and European) models which will become more expensive but UK outline too. However this may pale into insignificance alongside the predicted rise in price of fuel and food.

Germany has also been a fairly happy hunting ground for finding stuff, so depending on what gets negotiated that could get harder/ more expensive. Might have to start paying import duty on that as well as US imports.

Not if you join the EFTA crowd like Norway, Iceland, Turkey, Switzerland, Britain should have preferential Duty in imports. But you will be tied to Europe still and will have to pay for the privilage!

All this speculation is just more fuel on the fire. While the £ is back to a good low exchange I am off to sell a few US shares - otherwise I am pretty non-plussed by the whole saga. The whole debate was soiled from the start and I believe, trying very hard to make this topic non-politcal, the vote is more a reflection of opinion on the political class and propaganda on both sides. Although generally having very strong views politically this has been nothing but a farce, nd what I have seen of the reporting and political statements since the outcome - no change.

I came to RMWeb in the vain hope of escape, but should have known better.

In the overall scheme of things does the price of a model really matter. Long term does anything? Those who bet on currency changes and the "value" of stocks and shares will continue to manipulate the prices.

Escape?  There can be no escape! 

So, some questions that need hard and fast answers due to our forthcoming Brexit......

• Are we now saved from the annual saga that is Eurovision?  Or do we continue to take part but in the same way Australia does?
  • Do I get the right to stay in the EU and is there a passport for that?  I was born in the EU after all.
  • With the ensuing inflation I'll no longer be able to buy Camembert.  What should I eat with my red wine instead?  Wensleydale? - you can't bake that!
  • The last may be irrelevant as with the inevitable import duties on French and Italian wines, will I be forced to drink Australian reds?  Yuk.
  • If England win EURO 2016 does that mean they won't have to give the trophy back?  The next time the Euros come around we won't be part of it!

Seriously though, how long before my German employer pulls the plug on their UK op?  Particulary distressing as we support another German business within the UK who will simply move out if/when it becomes cheaper to produce items in Mainland Europe rather than in the UK.  How long before Airbus realise it will be cheaper and far easier to produce all those wings in France after all? 

With these very real issues now facing us, toy trains seem just a tad irrelevant.  But they are good fun  :)

Shall we just look for a new job now?,

Paul

Escape?  There can be no escape! 

So, some questions that need hard and fast answers due to our forthcoming Brexit......

With these very real issues now facing us, toy trains seem just a tad irrelevant.  But they are good fun  :)

Shall we just look for a new job now?,

Paul

At least the small trains help to keep us sane when the World is going mad.

Brexit could start a chain reaction outside of the EU apparently there are demands for an independent Texas http://www.thetnm.org/.

I bought 5 Bachmann US locos from Hatton's at the start of the week because they were virtually half price. But I won't be buying any more for a long while. I'm saving up for a replacement for this freakin machine which has a very jumpy cursor and will one day hurtle past a crash-helmet wearing moggie.

Dennis

Other than noting that prices for imports have increased for now, and that this is a PITA, I don't think this thread serves any purpose.

And whilst I sympathise with much of the above, I 100% agree with Simon's comment here, so i'm locking it.

Archived