Simon Kohler ‘retires’ as Locomotion Models Manager.

Andy Y

Kohler to exit from Locomotion!

Kohler ‘retires’ as Locomotion Models Manager.

As of the end of June Simon Kohler, formerly of Hornby and was until the end of March this year author of Hornby’s ‘Simon Says’ blog will leave Locomotion to concentrate fully on his own KOHLERcoms consultancy business as well as other projects.

Simon Kohler joined the Locomotion models team in April 2015 as Models Manager having worked with the museum for a year previously as a consultant.  During this time Simon has overseen announcements and the introduction of numerous museum focused models based on those in the National Collection, including the critically acclaimed Atlantics and the stunning APT-E. Kohler has also created and applied a more focussed branding of the Collection’s unique products both in advertising, packaging and promotional terms.

‘I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at locomotionmodels.com but feel that with the way the models business has grown since my involvement and the fact that I was dividing my time between my own business and Locomotion Models there needed to be someone actually on site at Locomotion, Shildon to assist the dedicated models staff in the day to day running and development of the models business.  Clearly with my other commitments and the fact that I live in Kent it could not be me and I therefore advised the museum directors last March that I felt they needed to employ someone who could spend 100% of their time focussing on further developing Locomotion Models.’

Simon will now focus on his own consultancy business as well as other projects. ‘I have plenty to occupy my time’, advised Simon ‘and although I shall miss working with such fine and dedicated staff at Locomotion, Shildon I shall not miss the monthly 700+ mile round trip that I had to endure when attending the monthly management meetings! However, what I shall miss are the introduction of the planned new models which form a three year plan that I have left with the Locomotion Models team. Consequently the future is certainly bright for the museum and I wish whole staff good luck and thank them for their kindness and generosity during my time at Locomotion.’  

We wish you well on whatever future endeavours you become involved with Simon!

Very interesting.....

That should get the gossip going!

To be perfectly frank, I think that Hornby could, if they have any sense at all, do far worse than go begging Simon to go back and work for them, and maybe put right 'some' of the wrongs committed since he left and just before then too.

Sorry if this is too close to the mark mods, and feel free to delete if you think it is. However in mitigation I do not want to see Hornby die, and I fear they will unless something positive is done now, not later.

As I always say, and it's pretty much proved in this business, you need to employ people with an interest in the hobby, not what they as individuals can get from it in terms of aggrandizement and bonuses etc.

I'm sure many of us agree that Simon was a huge asset for Hornby when he was there. However, does he want to go back to them? I agree with Dave, above, that Hornby would probably benefit from Simon's enthusiasm and intricate knowledge of the industry and the market, plus his excellent communication skills (as an aside, that's an asset that Dave also possesses).

Whatever Simon does, I wish him well in his endeavours. He deserves to succeed, IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

To be perfectly frank, I think that Hornby could, if they have any sense at all, do far worse than go begging Simon to go back and work for them, and maybe put right 'some' of the wrongs committed since he left and just before then too.

Sorry if this is too close to the mark mods, and feel free to delete if you think it is. However in mitigation I do not want to see Hornby die, and I fear they will unless something positive is done now, not later.

As I always say, and it's pretty much proved in this business, you need to employ people with an interest in the hobby, not what they as individuals can get from it in terms of aggrandizement and bonuses etc.

As Ed has already implied it could well be that his growing consultancy business is far nearer to home for him.

However I do wonder to what extent he had any real influence over some reintroductions as I got the impression at times from people in the retail trade that a lot of repeats were far from carefully thought out in relation to what end customers were saying and some of that might indeed be in the background of the recent warehouse clearance?

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting.....

That should get the gossip going!

Anyone who has the misfortune to regularly undertake the long and tedious haul from the "Sunny South" via the currently road worked M1/A1 will understand his position.I'm sure he will be missed.

We need Simon's knowledge and experience now more than ever in whatever form it might take.As to whether he would relish a return to the Hornby pastures in their current difficulties is perhaps quite another matter.

• RMweb Premium

Whatever Simon chooses to do via his consulting business, I wish him all the best, especially considering the U.K.'s uncertain status re the E.U. for the near future.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be surprised if SK's agreement with Locomotion didn't have some arrangement for expenses but we aren't party to the, correctly private, details. So who's to say any expenses were included? Even if it did, it could very well not allow for 1st class train travel.

• RMweb Premium

There is huge goodwill for Mr Kohler, a good foundation for his business. If he wrote a monthly blog, lots of people would undoubtedly follow it....

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Re #7 above, surely he would go by train? ....

Seriously, I wouldn't drive 700 miles on the M25 and A1 when I could travel 1st Class rail on expenses...

Yes,maybe but Shildon is a long branch line journey from Darlington.It is not just a quick buzz up the ECML. Before that of course is a journey from Kent via London termini. Besides which travelling of whatever sort is a time consuming and tiring process.The older you get,the less it appeals.Especially when at the end of it you have to collect your thought processes and be at the top of your game.He did find the journey a bind.I think we all appreciate and respect that.

• RMweb Gold

Yes,maybe but Shildon is a long branch line journey from Darlington.It is not just a quick buzz up the ECML. Before that of course is a journey from Kent via London termini. Besides which travelling of whatever sort is a time consuming and tiring process.The older you get,the less it appeals.Especially when at the end of it you have to collect your thought processes and be at the top of your game.He did find the journey a bind.I think we all appreciate and respect that.

Darlington - Shildon is an abysmal, albeit interesting in various places, journey but I'd hate to have to do it regularly.  By contrast of course London - Darlington is quite ok if not good but you still have to cross London to get to KX and you do of course actually have to get to London in the first place although not too bad if you can go via HS1 and then you're right next to KX.  So possibly a curate's egg type rail journey - although I think I'd much prefer it to driving.

• RMweb Premium

My only face-to-face meeting with SK gave me a different impression to that many have of the man but perhaps it was a bad hair day.  Or maybe he'd already been bombarded by more negativity about the then imminent 4Vep than he was happy with.   

Reading through many topics and over the years it is clear the hobby needs him and his like.  Who knows where his consultancy might go or with whom they are already in partnership?  Commercial negotiations are almost always wrapped in the utmost confidence and his influence, if not his name, might yet re-emerge from the cabbage-fields of Kent.

I am also encouraged by the professionalism and respect shown here by DJ who has potentially a lot to gain were Hornby to sink in the mire.  I tips me 'at to you, Sir.

Darlington - Shildon is 18 minutes total............. Sorry.

Mind you if it was a 142 it might seem like a lifetime lol

• RMweb Gold

Mind you if it was a 142 it might seem like a lifetime lol

It did, no sorry - it didn't; it felt like several lifetimes.  One of the roughest rides I have ever experienced on a train - I've had (far) smoother rides in a freight brakevan over South wales colliery branch lnes.

I haven't done it for a while but, the last time I did, I recall an interminable wait on Darlington station for the connection. The actual journey may only be 18 minutes, but if you have to wait 50 more for the train, on top of the London connection...

Paul

Forty years ago as a junior engineer I used to commute weekly between NCB Selby, CEGB Drax Power Station, or BSC Immingham Docks from my home in Redhill.  A quick train trip into Victoria, underground to Kings X and then pick up a hire car at Doncaster or York.  Forty years on I cannot why it should be any different.  There again..............!

Regards

Ray

Forty years ago as a junior engineer I used to commute weekly between NCB Selby, CEGB Drax Power Station, or BSC Immingham Docks from my home in Redhill.  A quick train trip into Victoria, underground to Kings X and then pick up a hire car at Doncaster or York.  Forty years on I cannot why it should be any different.  There again..............!

Regards

Ray

Exactly. I've made connections occasionally from ECML stations to the scruffy, desolate minor lines of the East Coast proper, and hire cars now figure prominently in my thinking..

Archived