Tarted Up Terriers

• RMweb Gold

As someone who enjoys a bit of R-T-R bashing I thought I would start a topic to see what people have done to their Terriers of any origin in any scale. Has anyone ever scratch built one?

To get it started here is some pictures of my Terrier number 76 "Hailsham". It started life as a Hornby Model of "Fulham", new names and number plates came from EB Models.

It has also had:

• The buffer shanks lined out

• Smokebox wings added

• Lamp Irons added to front and rear

• Handrails picked out in silver

• Wheel weights picked out in green with "yellow" lines

• Safety valves picked out in correct colours

• Real coal added to the bunker

• Cab interior painted and picked out in correct colours

• Westinghouse pump painted and lined

Not all of the work was done by me so if you notice anything done that I have forgotten to add please let me know, and now that I've shown you mine, lets see yours!

3 quarter picture of the front:

hailsham1.jpg

and the rear:

hailsham2.jpg

A side on shot:

hailsham3.jpg

And finally a shot of it at the head of my rake of "Stroudley" coaches which are detailed and painted Thomas and Friends Red Coaches from the Bachmann USA range:

hailsham4.jpg

Gary

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the links I have seen your wonderful Terrier many times and it did make my fleet feel rather sorry for themselves as it looks so good. Hailsham will get some weathering at some point as I have pictures that show what I believe are limescale marks from a water leak.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first attempt at a loco repaint, quite possibly the opposite of 'tarted up' as it's the most simple livery out there! SECR No. 751, it has a few mods too, like the smokebox front and the boiler side valves were replaced. See the post here and there's still a few little details to go.

post-25124-0-96423100-1460022015_thumb.j

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Love it.

This is exactly what I wanted to see when I started the thread. I am tempted to do one of my Terriers as 751 but it would be in Wainwright livery as my layout is set pre-WW1 and I assume need even more mods doing to it.

Gary

• Like 2

Since Terriers were good candidates for light railways that's what happened to mine after spending time with the LSWR which explains the safety valves in the dome as opposed to the regular Salter's types.

post-5047-0-76123600-1468527894_thumb.jpg

Changes are: Branchlines chassis, CSB suspension, Gibson wheels, HighLevel gearbox + Mashima, clacks of obscure ancestry, Plasticard wingplates, turned safeties, Bachmann crew, Markits smokebox darts, new cab and body handrails & knobs, Narrow Planet nameplates and last of all, paint.

There's still more to be done (sandbox lids for one :blush_mini:) but she's running.

Cheers,

David

Edit, remembered something else I did.

Edited by davknigh
  • Like 4

Thanks Gary. I should give credit to Tim Shackleton's book "Plastic Bodied Locos" (Wild Swan) for many of the ideas and whoever did the moulds for the Dapol/Hornby Terrier in the first place for giving me a starting point.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Were you aiming at a link to your post on that page? If so, it's this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87122-Dapol-o-gauge-terrier/page-43&do=findComment&comment=2182721, which can be done by right-clicking the post number on the top right of the posting and copying the link location, then use that as the link in a post (your post being #1057).

Very nice work, by the way :)

Edited by Ian J.

Were you aiming at a link to your post on that page? If so, it's this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87122-Dapol-o-gauge-terrier/page-43&do=findComment&comment=2182721, which can be done by right-clicking the post number on the top right of the posting and copying the link location, then use that as the link in a post (your post being #1057).

Very nice work, by the way :)

thanks for that. learning new stuff all the time :-)

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My terrier Hailsham that I opened this thread with has had a crew added (Mike Pett) some head code disks (Hole punched 10thou plasticard) for the Cuckoo line and some Stroudley loco lamps on the tank tops (5 & 9 Models). Added to this a small amount of Photoshop and I think it's looking quite good.

post-22762-0-75845100-1480070052_thumb.jpg

Hope you liked,

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looks very nice indeed, like the coaches too. Great work on all the Terriers in the thread. 

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The coaches are R-T-R from the Bachmann USA Thomas and Friends range, all I have done is paint them and add the steps and air pipes to the ends.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning

• 1 year later...

Reviving a not-quite forgotten thread: it was a nice, bright evening and since it's now complete, a couple of pictures of Terrier, Brighton Works (the former work's shunter, latterly put back into capital stock as 32635 prior to withdrawal in 1963). The origins are a Dapol body as produced by Hornby on a combination of Branchlines and Comet chassis kits on Gibson wheels in EM with a huge amount of added detail, most of the Hornby paint finish, improved with the correct colour valences, and lining transfers from the Brighton Circle.

post-256-0-45149200-1530185468_thumb.gif

post-256-0-38269600-1530185481_thumb.gif

There's more about it on my workbench thread (linked below)  and it does need a spot of muck to make it plausible but it's not bad, I think.

Adam

post-256-0-45149200-1530185468_thumb.gif

post-256-0-38269600-1530185481_thumb.gif

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of shameless self promoting, but it is related to the thread so :P

I currently do some live modelling on YouTube on a Sunday evening (9pm UK time), and this week I am looking at the old tooling Dapol Terrier to rename / number and upgrade as per the loco that I started this thread with.

We are using some new products for this, being a newly released set of name transfers from Precision Labels and newly redrawn number plates from EB Models, so an interesting stream for anyone who enjoys Terriers!!

Would be great to see some of you there tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beYIKpR5ORI

Gary