Guy Rixon's Shapeways shop

Guy Rixon

I have a small shop on Shapeways selling printed fittings for rolling stock. Currently, all the available models are buffer guides for producing sprung buffers, in 4mm and H0 scale, but I plan to add other fittings like axleboxes and springs.

The shop is at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/guyrixon .

Buffers available at time of writing are:

• SER/SECR wagon (3 rib)
  • LCDR wagon (4 rib)
  • LNWR wagon (3 rib; 4 different lengths of guide)
  • LNWR wagon (self-contained)
  • Cambrian wagon (with and without wooden pads)
  • SER coach (3 rib)

These are all prints I needed for my own models, but I'm open to suggestions for other subjects.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The LCDR wagon-buffers and the LNWR self-contained wagon-buffers, which were languishing in "first to try" status, have now been printed successfully and the samples are on their way to me.

Also "printed successfully" and on their way are some shackle-mounted springs. They're 40-inch, 4-plate springs intended for GWR fruit vans, but they might be usable for other vehicles. Now that I have the CAD primitives for these springs I can do similar ones of different sizes, and I invite suggestions. The springs will not be in the shop until I see the samples. There were problems in getting them accepted at all and I need to check that nothing tragic has happened before offering them to anybody else.

The first springs printed quite well in FUD and are now in the shop.

If anybody wants similar springs modelled - i.e. ones mounted on shackles rather than J-hangers - but with different lengths or numbers of spring leaves, then please contact me. I should be able to adapt the model quite easily now.

The unit price is higher than I'd like because of the bad exchange-rate; sorry about that. More springs per print would reduce the price per spring, so let me know if you'd prefer a sprue of 8 or 12 springs.

• 1 month later...

Confession time: the buffer guides for LCDR wagons are now known to be wildly inaccurate and have today been withdrawn from sale. Geoff Lines, on whose drawing I based them, tells me that they should have three ribs, not four. Apparently, the LCDR's four-ribbed buffers were only for coaches. This just shows how hard it is to get buffer details right from GAs and photos alone. The number of ribs is not apparent from the side elevation (because the horizontal rib faces outward) or the end elevation (because the buffer head hides the details of the guide).

Changing the model from four ribs to three is easy, but I'm also taking this opportunity to get better drawings from Mr. Lines to refine the model. Therefore, this item will be unavailable for a week or two. However, I hope to make available the LCDR carriage-buffer at the same time, so not all bad.

To the one person who bought a set of ficticious buffers, I can only apologise. Please PM me and I will post you replacements when I get my test prints of the repaired buffers.

• 3 weeks later...

LCDR buffers are now on sale again. The wagon buffers have been redrawn using original, LCDR GA-drawings and dimensions supplied by Geoff Lines, and are now vastly more accurate. There are also some coach buffers which would suit the D&S kits for the 6-wheeled coaches and the Roxey kits for the 4-wheeled coaches. I don't know if the LCDR used these buffers on bogie coaches.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WZXXUYQEQ/lcdr-coach-buffers-x20?optionId=61158671

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9A22NAFSY/lcdr-wagon-buffers-x20?optionId=61074954

These are in first-to-try status at present, until I get my test prints.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small shop on Shapeways selling printed fittings for rolling stock. Currently, all the available models are buffer guides for producing sprung buffers, in 4mm and H0 scale, but I plan to add other fittings like axleboxes and springs.

The shop is at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/guyrixon .

Buffers available at time of writing are:

• SER/SECR wagon (3 rib)
  • LCDR wagon (4 rib)
  • LNWR wagon (3 rib; 4 different lengths of guide)
  • LNWR wagon (self-contained)
  • Cambrian wagon (with and without wooden pads)
  • SER coach (3 rib)

These are all prints I needed for my own models, but I'm open to suggestions for other subjects.

LSWR goods buffers with no ribs to round out the pre-grouping Southern set.  I need a few set to replace the Cambrian SR buffers on new LSWR Diagram 1410 van kits with a more robust version to add metal buffers.

Edited by autocoach

LSWR goods buffers with no ribs to round out the pre-grouping Southern set.  I need a few set to replace the Cambrian SR buffers on new LSWR Diagram 1410 van kits with a more robust version to add metal buffers.

OK, I'll put them on the to-do list. I too have plans for the new Cambrian LSWR van, so need some buffers. However, I'd need to find some decent drawings, or to measure a full-size buffer, to do a decent job.

EDIT: after checking around, it seems that MRD already sell sprung buffers of this kind. http://www.emardee.org.uk/LSWR-Wagon-Buffer

Edited by Guy Rixon

OK, I'll put them on the to-do list. I too have plans for the new Cambrian LSWR van, so need some buffers. However, I'd need to find some decent drawings, or to measure a full-size buffer, to do a decent job.

EDIT: after checking around, it seems that MRD already sell sprung buffers of this kind. http://www.emardee.org.uk/LSWR-Wagon-Buffer

Can't register US address on their website? Maybe they have the same problem as Cambrian and Lanarkshire with idiotic insurance company underwriting. 

Can't register US address on their website? Maybe they have the same problem as Cambrian and Lanarkshire with idiotic insurance company underwriting. 

You could email to find out. Meantime, yes, I'll do the LSWR buffer on Shapeways anyway, but only when/if I can come by proper dimensions. There are plenty of preserved LSWR vehicles to measure, but none of them are near me, so it may be a while.

You could email to find out. Meantime, yes, I'll do the LSWR buffer on Shapeways anyway, but only when/if I can come by proper dimensions. There are plenty of preserved LSWR vehicles to measure, but none of them are near me, so it may be a while.

Could you do LSWR axleboxes as well? Thanks!

I did email Emardee and they have a minor problem with the order software. To be fixed in January.

Could you do LSWR axleboxes as well? Thanks!

Yes, in principle. Which ones do you need? I have little knowledge of LSWR details so far, but I see three main kinds of box in the Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, vol 1. I assume that details such as size of journal don't affect the external appearance.

Also - question to the general readership - are axleboxes by themselves preferable to boxes printed with springs? My own bias is to do the boxes and springs separately because (a) it's easier and I'm lazy; (b) there are many combinations of boxes, spring types and spring mountings; © sometimes I salvage moulded springs from kits; (d) in compensated vehicles, I like to mount the spring to the solebar and let the axlebox to the axleguard. But that's just me. 

Could you upload photos of actual prints please.

Are you able to do GWR self contained wagon buffers?

I'll put some photos in the shop when I can get decent ones. My only camera is my 'phone and it's not ideal for macro work. I may have to get get my wife to photograph the prints, which can't happen until after christmas.

I can do GWR self-contained buffers when I can get measurements. I'm going to be near the SVR at christmas, and they have at least one wagon with these buffers, so I might be able to track it down. However, Lanarkshire Model Supplies sell these buffers as castings pre-drilled for springing: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_065.htm and http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_073.htm. Before I spend time on it, could you please confirm that you prefer the prints to these castings?

Yes, in principle. Which ones do you need? I have little knowledge of LSWR details so far, but I see three main kinds of box in the Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, vol 1. I assume that details such as size of journal don't affect the external appearance.

Also - question to the general readership - are axleboxes by themselves preferable to boxes printed with springs? My own bias is to do the boxes and springs separately because (a) it's easier and I'm lazy; (b) there are many combinations of boxes, spring types and spring mountings; © sometimes I salvage moulded springs from kits; (d) in compensated vehicles, I like to mount the spring to the solebar and let the axlebox to the axleguard. But that's just me. 

I don't know which ones I need. I should get a copy of that book. In the meantime, they're for a 1 plank open as produced by Gramodels. He sells the resin body, but everything else is left up to the modeller. Obviously, I need the book before I can really proceed, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask...

Presuming that the Gramodels 1-plank open is the type for carrying stone blocks, photos in Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, vol 1 show it with Panter axleboxes. These boxes are quite distinctive - they have a sliding front-cover and the slide arrangement would be noticeable in 4mm scale - and apparently the most numerous of LSWR axleboxes.

The next kind of common axlebox was the Warner patten, apparently modelled on the Cambrian kit for the D1410 van. This was introduced in 1906. It looks to me as if it could be faked with axleboxes of other companies that are already available from the trade.

The third kind was a pressed-steel version of the Panter box, introduced in 1919. Apparently, from the book, it's functionally interchangeably with the cast, Panter box, but looks different.

I want to model some D1402 vans (based on the Cambrian D1410), and these should have Panter axleboxes, so I will aim to make those, probably some time next year. There seem to be some surviving vehicles in the S&D museum at Washford.

Presuming that the Gramodels 1-plank open is the type for carrying stone blocks, photos in Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, vol 1 show it with Panter axleboxes. These boxes are quite distinctive - they have a sliding front-cover and the slide arrangement would be noticeable in 4mm scale - and apparently the most numerous of LSWR axleboxes.

The next kind of common axlebox was the Warner patten, apparently modelled on the Cambrian kit for the D1410 van. This was introduced in 1906. It looks to me as if it could be faked with axleboxes of other companies that are already available from the trade.

The third kind was a pressed-steel version of the Panter box, introduced in 1919. Apparently, from the book, it's functionally interchangeably with the cast, Panter box, but looks different.

I want to model some D1402 vans (based on the Cambrian D1410), and these should have Panter axleboxes, so I will aim to make those, probably some time next year. There seem to be some surviving vehicles in the S&D museum at Washford.

Yes I believe it is the stone block one.

The SVR have been kind enough to park some wagons in the siding by the car park at Bewdley, so I took some photos and measurements of the GWR self-contained buffers on open wagon 98480. Here are some renders of an early-stage model:

post-22875-0-00493300-1482185441.png post-22875-0-60044900-1482185462.png

The CAD model is complete but I still have to check that Shapeways can print it; the walls in the upper part of the guide look a bit thin to me.

The buffer will take the heads with the nominal 2.5mm OD rams from MJT. Since I've not used those before, I need to get some and check that they actually work mechanically in a test print...unless anybody is prepared to do the test for me :). They should work without bodging.

Hence, this buffer could possibly be available in late January, if anybody wants it printed, rather than using the Lanarkshire castings.

• Like 1

The "spigot" behind the buffer is 2.0mm deep and 1.95mm OD. I used 2.0mm OD in my previous designs, but I now prefer that the buffers be a sliding fit into a 2.0mm hole in the headstock rather than a force fit. This lets one assemble each buffer off the wagon and ease it into place while fine-tuning the angle of fit.

Guy - suggest have the nuts at slightly different angles, to give a bit of 'non-uniformity'. (Is non-uniformity a proper word? Oh well, brain not working yet today.)

OK, yes, I can do that. Actually, I should make them hexagon nuts anyway, and add washers. However, the fastener details are not really visible in the print.