New HO layout using 3 boxfiles

The SNCF society have set a challenge to build a layout in up to 3 boxfiles.

As it is not so hot now down here in France(it was 30deg when we arrived last week), I have managed to start on my mini layout in 3 box files, using the lid as base.(the rules don't actually specify it has to be the box, just that it has to be able to close and no track can extend outside the box. Even if someone says I am not following the rules, it does not bother me, as I want this highly portable layout to demonstrate my 3D printed track system. I have other layuts planned using boxfiles in this way.

The track is all inset(my 3D printed track), so I am super-gluing it to the base(slightly raised as I have a wagon turntable in the design). In fact the design uses 7 points and one wagon turntable.
Track now stuck to middle and left bases. track crosses in 4 places, one at an angle. Short lengths of rail are used to cross the box join and there does seem to be enough flexibility.
All points are Peco HO/OO setrack, 3 left, 3 right and a Y. Most of the track is being wired live, with section breaks on some tracks. Aim to have a auto shuttle on one route, so diodes will be added to each end. Just means I can set it to run and chat to people easier.

• Like 2

Here is a rough picture of what I am doing

sncf-soc-layout1.jpg

The box part of the centre and right one will have some sort of low relief building, and not much above track level. What there will be will have to fit into what is in that box.

Track across joints will be removable.

Aiming to use 3D printed lo relief buildings.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Work started, run out of track and don't have switches to connect to wires anyway, but here are some photos.
port-d-etiob3-sm.jpg

left
port-d-etiob1-sm.jpg
right
port-d-etiob2-sm.jpg

Did a quick test run, culminating in loco dive bombing the floor(trouble with Mehano controllers, never certain which direction they are set!)

Will now pack away, to take home. Plenty of other jobs to get on with.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

not sure if I will be ready for January meet up yet, but trying to get one box finished for December exhibition.
Wiring is in, ready to put raised road at back.
port-d-etiob4-sm.jpg

Rhino brown wood filler has been applied to gaps , and cobbled areas finished, just need painting.

Each box has own power suppy, and tracks can be switched between 2 controllers, so line at back can have auto shuttle and a loco can also be shunting at front. In practice that will probably not happen that often, but it is built in so can be done.

The track is on thin corrugated card, to bring it up to same level as wagon turntable, but one advantage is that wires can be threaded through, so will use this idea on other layouts. Although I only did so for wires that were missing or had detached themselves, I think it might work well for any layout. Poke a hole into the corrugated card, and thread wire through. Just make sure corrugations are in direction you want wires to go. Strange how what was an mistake turns into a better idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

seems a while since posting update, but box almost finished and everything in place in box 3, the final one

box 2 the middle one with dockside.

port-d-etiob7-sm.jpg

thetransition from box 2 to box 3. Everything folds up , hence the angled buildings.

port-d-etiob8-sm.jpg

box 3 uses parts from plastic kit from Walthers. Easier than designing something for 3D printing, especially as I was not sure how it would all fit together.

less track so mainly wooden infill, and then gaps filled with wood filler. One of the longer wagon turntables, which turns using wires connected at side.

port-d-etiob9-sm.jpg

It should be possible to have an auto shuttle running at back and a loco shunting in front.

• Like 1

What about putting LED lighting inside the boxfiles?

Julie

Could do, but I have usually found exhibition halls have good enough lighting. As it is only backscene, it is not as important as lighting up track area. The lightng in my work room is not idea, even though it should be as it is above. I usually turn on extra lighting when taking photos. Using flash just makes colours fade in effect. I do need to tone the grey down as it should be more sand colour.

As it will be at a small exhibition in a few weeks I can always add changes if required.I have only ever had bad lighting in one venue, and that was compounded by the lights coming out a bit yellow in digital images. Suspect it must be something to do with type of bulbs used. Digital cameras can do funny things sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

not long to exhibtion now, just addng a few details. I have not only tested the layout, but also tested taking it apart and puttint it back together. All the individual rails which link the boxes, are stored in their own labelled bags so I know which one goes where. These and the wires and controllers go in another unmodified box file. Probably will put stock etc in another bx file. This will mean everything will fit in two shopping bags.

The challenge was to have the layout ready for the 22nd. As I was double booked and can't get to the society do, I will make sure it still works at the local exhibition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I sawsomeone else use the box this way, on another forum, but think it was also mentioned on this forum. At the time it did not interest me, but when this challenge came up I thought it worth a try. I have used novel ways to fix down track, and on another I am ballasting before fixing down, as too much liquid will warp the lid.

Boxfiles can be OK for one scene, but extending them, can just create a line of scenes, not a complete layout, which is what I have tried to do here.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This featured in next issue of ContinentalModeller. Looks like it is even oneof the small pictures on the cover as well.

Also I am exhibiting it at the L&Y DCC group exhibition MRX in a week's time. Will have to make sure I have all the wires, having borowed bits for other exhibition layouts.

I plan to have a lot of my new 3D printed British HO stuff there as well.

• 4 months later...

I am at Sheffield exhibition this Saturday with this . Hopefully it will all go back together OK, as last time out was at KWVR event in July.  It might be French theme, but I normally have some British HO on it as well.

It is an alternative, and possibly better way to do a boxfile layout. Most of it is fixed in place, just requiring rails to connect boxes(lids), and a couple of pieces to cover factory and infill at back.I have a lot of experimental ideas in it, most work well.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Only looked at this for the first time today.  Impressed by the way the layout looks bigger than it truly is.  I must admit that I know very little about French railways, other than one book, and some watching of locos some time ago near Calais.  Looking forward to see further progress.

The boxes painted in the colours of la Republique Francaise is a nice touch.

Bon chance,

Alex.

I am building other boxfile layouts, the other one at the moment is British HO. I have a plan for a Gauge One(45mm gauge) mini layout using 3 box files.

My intention is to make all my layouts easily transportable and storable. I have tied all sorts of designs and materials, and find best way is to have some form of container . I also have, and am planning to build more IKEA APA box layouts. These nicely fit is either a large holdall or suitcase(on wheels) so are easy to transport.

These small layouts are also an ideal 'platform' for my 3D print designs.

Edited by rue_d_etropal