Millarville mkII this time its Freemo

AndrewC

I have a OO tardis with flashing light if that is any good? The gas station looks fab.

Thanks. I've got the old brass one from Langley. I need the real thing to get everything done in time. :O

Today I've been playing with JMRI and getting stuff sorted electrically. I've got the JMRI server and Wii server running together. Works great I can display the panel on my iPad. My next trick will be to import the xml roster from my Essex laptop to the Millarville one without overwriting a couple of locos that have had upgraded decoders since they were first added. Eventually I'll just have a single roster file on a share somewhere.

Also managed to mount a couple of power bars to the leg cross braces. All the power supplies labelled so that I don't put 14v into a 5v router. I think that has earned me a short break. Not sure I'll have time to get the crossing gates working though.

Andrew - there is a thread running on MRH by BNML2 ( Craig Thomasson ) which is all about using JMRI for switching operations, that may be of interest. You'll find it here http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/27829 - I can tell you no more about it as I don't have it, and what is being done is beyond my knowledge or expertise

Edited by shortliner

In case anyone is wondering about the gas station. (as if, but I will bore you anyway) Its the Summit Shell station kit. The original set of "decals" were scanned and imported to Photoshop. I then replaced the various signs, pumps, etc with more appropriate ones. The 7-11 banding was added as a separate set of decals hand drawn in Photoshop. The lot were then printed at 1:1 on an A4 sheet of Avery label paper. Basically what Summit does.

Ian, I really need to get several more road vehicles. I've got exactly 3 at the moment. Hopefully I can pick some up at the convention.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. I've got the old brass one from Langley. I need the real thing to get everything done in time. :O

Today I've been playing with JMRI and getting stuff sorted electrically. I've got the JMRI server and Wii server running together. Works great I can display the panel on my iPad. My next trick will be to import the xml roster from my Essex laptop to the Millarville one without overwriting a couple of locos that have had upgraded decoders since they were first added. Eventually I'll just have a single roster file on a share somewhere.

Also managed to mount a couple of power bars to the leg cross braces. All the power supplies labelled so that I don't put 14v into a 5v router. I think that has earned me a short break. Not sure I'll have time to get the crossing gates working though.

Dont forget that the convention set up will be lenz and their own wifi for controllers. So I presume you will be using your Digitrax and JMRi as I do just for the turnouts?

Dont forget that the convention set up will be lenz and their own wifi for controllers. So I presume you will be using your Digitrax and JMRi as I do just for the turnouts?

Yep. Exactly what I'm doing. With the added ability to control the turnouts anywhere in the hall without being tied to the laptop. I'm running the DS64s with independent power and Loconet only.

It also means that combined we can provide enough power as a back up if the Lenz gear fails.

I also have a Lenz throttle interface that needs to be installed this weekend. I put an Xpressnet pass through on the module as well as a full Loconet. I'm hoping they've updated the computer interface since Merstham. It meant that JMRI and WiThrottle couldn't address above FN12.

• RMweb Gold

Yep. Exactly what I'm doing. With the added ability to control the turnouts anywhere in the hall without being tied to the laptop. I'm running the DS64s with independent power and Loconet only.

It also means that combined we can provide enough power as a back up if the Lenz gear fails.

I also have a Lenz throttle interface that needs to be installed this weekend. I put an Xpressnet pass through on the module as well as a full Loconet. I'm hoping they've updated the computer interface since Merstham. It meant that JMRI and WiThrottle couldn't address above FN12.

OK thats good. If I give you my password then you can swap to my set up when on Fort Myers!!

oddly the one thing that I couldn't get working last weekend was the  server to show the track plan on the ipad. I did have other PC's connected across wirelessly though.

Hadnt noticed that at Merstham.

OK thats good. If I give you my password then you can swap to my set up when on Fort Myers!!

oddly the one thing that I couldn't get working last weekend was the  server to show the track plan on the ipad. I did have other PC's connected across wirelessly though.

Hadnt noticed that at Merstham.

I'm accessing the track plan from WiThrottle. If you switch on JMRI server under debug along with WiServer, the latest versions will add another icon on the phone/tablet. From there you can display the track plan. Bit tiny but works on the phone as well.

I think I still have your wifi access in my phone, so it should propagate to the pad automatically.

Patrick and I couldn't get any of the more "creative" sounds on the GMD-1 to work on a smartphone throttle. Worked ok on a Lenz hand held though. Turns out its the s/w revision on their PC interface.

• RMweb Gold

Yes both

I'm accessing the track plan from WiThrottle. If you switch on JMRI server under debug along with WiServer, the latest versions will add another icon on the phone/tablet. From there you can display the track plan. Bit tiny but works on the phone as well.

I think I still have your wifi access in my phone, so it should propagate to the pad automatically.

Patrick and I couldn't get any of the more "creative" sounds on the GMD-1 to work on a smartphone throttle. Worked ok on a Lenz hand held though. Turns out its the s/w revision on their PC interface.

Yes both JMRI server aswell as Wi Server enabled. As i say it worked before but not last weekend so not sure what I have done.

Will have another go at Beckenham show in just over a weeks time.

Might prompt Geoff to see if he has updated their Lenz interface as I guess that we are using his equipment.

• Like 1

Yes both

Yes both JMRI server aswell as Wi Server enabled. As i say it worked before but not last weekend so not sure what I have done.

Will have another go at Beckenham show in just over a weeks time.

Might prompt Geoff to see if he has updated their Lenz interface as I guess that we are using his equipment.

You may want to check your firewall ports on both the laptop and the router. You are using a separate router and not an ah-hoc network aren't you? The latter can be inconsistent with serving up from JMRI.

• RMweb Gold

Y

You may want to check your firewall ports on both the laptop and the router. You are using a separate router and not an ah-hoc network aren't you? The latter can be inconsistent with serving up from JMRI.

Yes separate router. It should work as havent changed any settings recently but will have another go this weekend at Beckenham show on Banbury.

• RMweb Gold

Just installed a Lenz LA152 on one of the modules to provide a throttle interface for next week's convention as its running with Lenz gear. I feel unclean. :O

I know what you mean as thats how I felt when I added one but at least its there and i cant forget it!

However at the last Freemo I was asked if I had one on the other side, so I intend to fit another one. Even more unclean!

I know what you mean as thats how I felt when I added one but at least its there and i cant forget it!

However at the last Freemo I was asked if I had one on the other side, so I intend to fit another one. Even more unclean!

Came soooooo close to grabbing the DCS240 from Coastal @ Uckfield on the weekend. If only he had the 8A power supply I'd have done it.

My distaste for Lenz goes back over 20 years and is a very very long story. I've been Digitrax since 1994. Starting with the Big Boy DT200. (still works) At the time the choice was limited to Digitrax, Wangrow, EasyDCC, and Lenz. I'd just finished building a control panel for a friend's rabbit warren OO-9 layout. (In an ancient RM issue, Iffanwen Junction) After 26 blocks and a hidden double reverse loop, I vowed never to build a control panel or wire a DC layout again. Due to work commitments I had to splice the panel and its umbilical into the layout on the Friday night setup of the first Calgary Supertrain exhibition. First thing Saturday morning I bought the Digitrax gear and changed over my layout before opening. By mid afternoon I'd already converted 8 locos. (All UK, mostly Hornby Ringfields)  

As far as next week is concerned. The first 2 boards of the module have been dismantled and packed, ready to go. All the electrical bits and connectors are packed and ready. A couple more hours in front of the telly will have the last structures completed for attachment to the other boards. With a fair wind I'll be all packed and on track for Monday, giving me a few days away from trains before the big weekend.

• Like 2

You can always hardwire from the back of it across to sockets on the other side if it helps?

Going slightly OT, but I get the impression that Digitrax is a it like Coca-Cola: people who like it, don't like other brands, but people who like other brands generally don't mind having something other than their preferred brand, if that is not available. Coca-Cola fans would have a different drink rather than another cola.

Is that correct? I have used Digitrax and Wangrow, and have owned Lenz and NCE. I think the latter the most user friendly, but like the comprehensive capabilities of Digitrax, but would rather go wireless with something close to the smaller NCE cabs - which I often think are like a half Digitrax throttle, with slightly bigger buttons and knobs.

For some its that way. I'm not such a fan boi. Way back when I started out with Hornby Zero-1. Despite its problems it worked reasonably well. Once it faded away and full on DCC came along it was a no brainer to convert. At the time in Western Canada the options were as I said before. Wangrow and EasyDCC had to be ordered from the US and one was stupid expensive and the other was pretty much build it yourself. That left Lenz and Digitrax as the only locally available systems. Again as I said my dislike for Lenz is a long story that involves a large club, some dodgy $$, poor customer service, and a nasty taste left. Having used the system I also found it a pain in the arse. That left Digitrax as the only viable option. the original DT200 and DT100 throttles were around half the size of the current DT400-500 ones. Limited in what you could do though. If I was starting out today I'd probably go for NCE. Which by the way is really what became of Wangrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the module behaved itself at the convention. A few encouraging comments. Quite pleased. Not a lot to say so I'll park this thread for a while until I get back into doing some more work on it. Its next outing is scheduled for the end of March. Plenty of time to tart things up, finish off the rest of the structures, and get the crossing gates working.

Now to catch up on all the household and garden work that has suffered for the past few months.

• Like 1

Just started following this thread and like the grain towers and has given me some ideas for my module. Thanks a lot.

Thanks. They are from a Canadian company called Kanamodels. Laser cut wood with resin cast base, doors, windows.

• 5 months later...

Its been a while and not a hell of a lot has happened. However, that is slowly changing. (pics to follow) 

Needless to say the additional work I wanted to complete for March never happened. 

I've been asked to drag Millarville along to a small NMRA BR mini-meet in Hastings. 

MODEL RAILROADING REVEALED
SATURDAY 22 APRIL 2017
STADE HALL, ROCK-A-NORE ROAD, HASTINGS TN34 3DW

For a whopping £2 (free if you are an NMRA member), you can enjoy 3 layouts (2 HO and 1 in N), 36' of L shaped Freemo, and half a dozen clinics/demos on subjects like weathering, DCC, garden railways, baseboard construction, and more. 

One of the shortcomings of Millarville is that it was intended to either be in the middle of other modules or eventually a stand alone layout. For this weekend it is going to be on the end. That means insufficient length at one end to provide a "head shunt" as it were. That has meant me getting my finger out and building a small 3' by 18" single module to be used as an extension. At the same time I cut the wood for 2 more extension modules. Time permitting I should have these ready for any future outing. 
  • Like 2