Double Minories

cromptonnut

There will be many hours spent in XTrackCAD designing the plan before I even think about ordering the shed :)

Don't forget the inside dimensions of the shed will be smaller than the outside, something like 6" which makes a big difference, yes I found out the hard way and the operating well is 6" smaller as a result, breathe in time.

On a more fundamental note what benefit does 4 tracks approaching/ leaving  a small terminus have.  Visually two simultaneous departures looks good, The NBR did it at Waverley with Aberdeen and Glasgow trains,  Kings Cross and Marylebone faked it with trains departing together which then followed each other along 2 track stretches,

Other locations had relief lines to and from Carriage sidings and MPDs yet busier locations made do with double track.  

My feeling is a couple of engine and carriage lines beside the main lines would be more interesting with ECS workings as well as arrivals and departures.

That said I don't think many modellers would know what ECS was anyway. Probably think it was a make of decoder.

• RMweb Gold

On a more fundamental note what benefit does 4 tracks approaching/ leaving a small terminus have.

Depends how intensive the train service is. Charing Cross station in London has four tracks leading to six platforms, and they are all needed, even outside the rush hour.

That said I don't think many modellers would know what ECS was anyway.

That's a little unfair, everybody knows "Electronic Control Signalling";-)

Reason for edit: I had written Servo in stead of Signalling, don't know why ... so much for trying to be funny, I'll get me coat now!

Edited by Ian_H

Depends how intensive the train service is. Charing Cross station in London has four tracks leading to six platforms, and they are all needed, even outside the rush hour.

It looks to me from Quail Maps that the Charring Cross lines reduce to two after the Chord to Cannon St beyond Waterloo East so it looks like another case of four into two with simultaneous departures then following each other.  I guess Charring Cross has only seen multiple units for the last 50 years. 

I find ECS workings facinating, but the lines for bringing ECS into the Departure platforms and removing it from Arrival platforms without blocking the station throat has been a casualty of MU train operation and rationalisation and is something seldom modelled. 

Well "Plans for larger layouts 2nd edition" arrived courtesy of Ebay this morning, there are some interesting ideas in there and many of them are of a Minories style and eminently adaptable for what I have in mind.

L8 is a very interesting "roundy roundy but end to end" style but possibly a bit complex for me... however with adjustment to make a triangular junction for the run out into the garden there is certainly some potential.

Some lunchtime reading, methinks...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

To build on Clive's post, I'd like to add that there is a wonderful plan on Real Track Plans called Kings Cross. It is actually a scale representation of the KGX throat in only 10'x4'. The only limitation is the trains have to be quite short. However, if you made it 14 or 16', you would get some decent length trains in. I would do it if I had space. Choosing to model only some of the platforms would also be possible in only 2'. The great thing with this plan is that there's a headshunt for locos on the 'south side' (in reality the eastern side) and a few sidings on the 'north' side (the west in reality). The only issue might be that double slips are quite expensive!

http://www.freetrackplans.com/1011-Kings-Cross.php.