Carflat from N Gauge Society

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

NGS to produce RTR Carflat

The N Gauge Society announced at its AGM in July that it would be producing the Carflat A as its next ready-to-run model. Hundreds of carflats were produced from redundant coach chassis from the 1950s until the late 1970s, and many remained in service until almost the end of the last century.

These wagons were associated in particular with BR's iconic Motorail service, which was launched exactly 50 years ago in 1966 at the forefront of the then ground-breaking "corporate image", and offered holidaymakers travelling to the South West, Wales, the North and Scotland the opportunity to take their car on holiday. Two of our models will be in BR Blue with Motorail branding, and can be combined with maroon or blue-grey Mk1 or Mk2 coaches and Class 47 or 52 "Western" locomotives, among others.

In the winter months, when Motorail services did not run, the wagons were often used in block trains for motor manufacturers, and in later years, as the Motorail services contracted, some were fitted with air-brakes and repainted into BR Bauxite for dedicated use on new car delivery trains.

In 1979 25 coach chassis were converted for wagon leasing company Railease for car transport.

The version selected by the NGS is one of 40 converted from former Br Mk1 coaches at Swindon in 1964, and will be available in six versions:

1). Original Freight Brown

post-420-0-29608700-1468743204_thumb.jpeg

2). Unbranded BR Blue

post-420-0-00494600-1468743219_thumb.jpeg

3). BR Blue Motorail

post-420-0-43553800-1468743257_thumb.jpeg

4). BR Blue Motorail with B4 bogies

post-420-0-23485600-1468743278_thumb.jpeg

5). BR Bauxite with B4 bogies and air brakes for new car deliveries

post-420-0-31354700-1468743293_thumb.jpeg

6). Railease yellow with air brakes

post-420-0-68461500-1468743333_thumb.jpeg

As indicated, the models will feature various different arrangements of vacuum, dual or air brake gear and either BR1 or B4 bogies according to prototype.

The model is being produced for the NGS by Graham Farish and design work is already underway. The guide price is £28.00 and models can be pre-ordered now for anticipated delivery next year.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 7

Great news Ben, being an N gauge Wakerley route modeller these have been on my to build list for years, I kept meaning to start picking up cheap mk1 chassis but never got round to it.

These will do the job though.

Great stuff from the NGS again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news, I'm glad I managed to keep this quiet after Ben A told me earlier in the year.......now come on Oxford Diecast where are the Austin 1100/1300s, Marinas, Granadas, Hunters , Vivas etc to fill these.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

I was thinking I would have a couple of trains worth until I saw the price! If it cost that then it does. A few to go with the existing de-branded Mk1 FK - and perhaps a Intercity Mk2a brake.

The NGV is shown with a wagon number - the ones in service all had NPCCS numbers. Paul B's website show 745645 condemned as a NGV in 1985 but AFIAK it was not a conversion.

There is a good shot of M96255 in the 1988 P5 combined edition

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking I would have a couple of trains worth until I saw the price! If it cost that then it does. A few to go with the existing de-branded Mk1 FK - and perhaps a Intercity Mk2a brake.

The NGV is shown with a wagon number - the ones in service all had NPCCS numbers. Paul B's website show 745645 condemned as a NGV in 1985 but AFIAK it was not a conversion.

There is a good shot of M96255 in the 1988 P5 combined edition

Price is pretty good by current standards, albeit that they are able to use quite a lot of existing components.

Out of the main holiday season, I think that some of the Motorail trains would have been quite short formations. Maybe someone on here has details and/or photos.

Price is pretty good by current standards, albeit that they are able to use quite a lot of existing components.

Out of the main holiday season, I think that some of the Motorail trains would have been quite short formations. Maybe someone on here has details and/or photos.

Can't remember where now, but I've seen a WR formation where the coaching stock part was BCK+FK+RU+FK+FK, all coaches in the Farish range. With an equivalent number of Carflats you're still looking at a 10+ car train, though. "Short" is relative here...

• RMweb Gold

Can't remember where now, but I've seen a WR formation where the coaching stock part was BCK+FK+RU+FK+FK, all coaches in the Farish range. With an equivalent number of Carflats you're still looking at a 10+ car train, though. "Short" is relative here...

Given that the r-t-r manufacturers always make too many firsts relative to seconds, this formation is ideal!

Unfortunately the blue/grey FK isn't listed in the current catalogue. It looks as though Farish only did the one batch, while the SK is on its sixth (up to E suffix on the catalogue number), and the TSO is on "C".  May have to search eBay....

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the blue/grey FK isn't listed in the current catalogue. It looks as though Farish only did the one batch, while the SK is on its sixth (up to E suffix on the catalogue number), and the TSO is on "C".  May have to search eBay....

You should be able to pick up Mk1 FKs fairly easily.....I'm well into double figures many from eBay and some shops still have them. Now the Mk2 FK is a different kettle of fish!

Just to clarify,

if the TOPS code is NGV, it should have a 5-digit NPCCS number (when were they reclassified/renumbered from the wagon series?)

if the TOPS code is FVsomething, it should have a 6-digit wagon number 745xxx.

And the yellow PO ones were TOPS code PFB in the RLS94400-94424 series.

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify,

if the TOPS code is NGV, it should have a 5-digit NPCCS number (when were they reclassified/renumbered from the wagon series?)

if the TOPS code is FVsomething, it should have a 6-digit wagon number 745xxx.

And the yellow PO ones were TOPS code PFB in the RLS94400-94424 series.

Hi

Ignore me I misread your post and it would appear I cannot delete posts.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

Hello there,

One of the reasons for selecting this model was the hope that we could minimise the new tooling required, however during the initial research phase it has become clear that we won't be able to use as many parts as we might have hoped (particularly the chassis/underframe) because the coach underframes have various fixing tabs for the sides and interiors that stick above deck level.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news, I'm glad I managed to keep this quiet after Ben A told me earlier in the year.......now come on Oxford Diecast where are the Austin 1100/1300s, Marinas, Granadas, Hunters , Vivas etc to fill these.

And some 60s/70s Transit vans please Oxford Diecast.

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

The graphic images are intended to illustrate the liveries, more research will be done to ensure the numbers are accurate.

cheers

Ben A.

Agreed a great choice Ben; I couldn't find the link to pre-order so maybe you could advise. TIA.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed a great choice Ben; I couldn't find the link to pre-order so maybe you could advise. TIA.

Hi Crepello,

The website and pre-ordering will be sorted out by the webmaster and the shopkeeper. I suspect they are taking a break after the efforts at the AGM and will get the mechanism up and running as soon as possible.

If nothing has appeared by the time of the *journal after next* (edited in the light of Mike's post below) it may be worth chasing with an email to the shopkeeper.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Hello there,

One of the reasons for selecting this model was the hope that we could minimise the new tooling required, however during the initial research phase it has become clear that we won't be able to use as many parts as we might have hoped (particularly the chassis/underframe) because the coach underframes have various fixing tabs for the sides and interiors that stick above deck level.

Cheers

Ben A.

Tell me about it!!!! :)

To answer my own question from further above, the coaching stock-numbered Motorail carflats were in the 1986 ABC coaching stock, listed as introduced in 1985 by transfer from freight stock.

M96250-65, NGV, from freight stock lot 3679 of 1968-9 or lot 3757 of 1971.

So that gives an earliest realistic date for using the NGV-coded model.

• RMweb Premium

To answer my own question from further above, the coaching stock-numbered Motorail carflats were in the 1986 ABC coaching stock, listed as introduced in 1985 by transfer from freight stock.

M96250-65, NGV, from freight stock lot 3679 of 1968-9 or lot 3757 of 1971.

So that gives an earliest realistic date for using the NGV-coded model.

You learn something new every day. I didn't know that this had happened. I've checked my Hugh Longsworth Mk1 & 2 book and it shows April 1985 for the change.

And some 60s/70s Transit vans please Oxford Diecast.

Yes I think Transits may possibly be my best option. I suspect the Railease version may be my best bet, maybe delivering Ford Transits via the speedlink network from Southampton via Whitemoor to Norwich.

I have trawled through literally hundreds on East Anglian freight images without seeing a single motorail wagon as yet, so if anyone fancies lightening my wallet somewhat by evidencing that these worked in East Anglia in the 1980s I would be grateful or maybe not depending on number required.

The obvious train, the Ely-Stirling motorail used GUVs to convey the cars so no good there.

Looks like the warflat may be a better bet for me, but I would need to use the heavier pewter scorpion tanks by the look of what will be available in resin.

A good call on both counts though.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

The only Motorail service that ran into the 1980s that could loosely be classed as East Anglia was from Ely to Stirling. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an imported car flow from Harwich or Felixstowe.

The only Motorail service that ran into the 1980s that could loosely be classed as East Anglia was from Ely to Stirling. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an imported car flow from Harwich or Felixstowe.

Indeed Andy, but as I have said that used GUVs to convey the cars.

The car traffic to/from Harwich seems to be solid Cartic 4 or the Procor single version (Procor 80s ?).

I did wonder whether Range Rovers may have been loaded onto motorail flats for export via Harwich, but as I have said, despite trawling the pics I have accumulated over a number of years, of both freight & passenger consists I have drawn a blank so far.

Still looking :-)

Scott

Indeed Andy, but as I have said that used GUVs to convey the cars.

The car traffic to/from Harwich seems to be solid Cartic 4 or the Procor single version (Procor 80s ?).

I did wonder whether Range Rovers may have been loaded onto motorail flats for export via Harwich, but as I have said, despite trawling the pics I have accumulated over a number of years, of both freight & passenger consists I have drawn a blank so far.

Still looking :-)

Scott

Oh dear !!!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoover29/9996085506/in/photolist-7Du8He-sqeDYj-dMjNvy-7CFuy2-pya5Lx-98xNY7-qEnBWh-9A8mvH-8yCCcY-gejxXQ-dxsJD5-eoX8RF-ptkiFi-eqFRPR-HE4Rds-upVnAA-7rVS3R-dsFCfN-4egK2r-uNEwAH-81r4hU-hzbSty-qtonPR-roBBU4-nnGdMx-qKrU88-gio2hg-pJFK2Y-ixMgQR-kuHeB2-qDeZLg-abfsnx-f7QmKv-aC5crw-dMR2Xt-pCERfv-iWB9Vj-ab7Rpp-pDXccW-ndScDe-q93mr5-d4ReWN-jFjNuy-aykBwA-dvNVuX-4ei22c-pestoS-3FhXrd-Huae1W-4bjF7P

Scott

• Like 3