Sadly, I appear to have cleaned out Lochgorm of 7mm scale etched brass square posts with my last order. Still I have enough for Kingswear and part of the following project, so that's one post that will be harder work unfortunately. :stink:

I managed one tall post from him and the shorter ones were already out of stock but he didn't seem interested in re-stocking them.

There's an opening there for someone to provide etched signal posts..anyone out there interested?

JF

I managed one tall post from him and the shorter ones were already out of stock but he didn't seem interested in re-stocking them.

There's an opening there for someone to provide etched signal posts..anyone out there interested?

JF

Well the thought had crossed my mind but it's finding the time to do it, that's the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made a start on some artwork for posts but it's on the back burner at the moment as I have quite a lot of other projects that need completing first. One item of interest is that I have recently received some smd leds that I ordered, which are even smaller than the ones I was using before (about half the size). Indeed they are so small that they might actually fit inside a 2mm scale Modelu signal lamp, not tried it yet though. Size is 0402 and they are just about at the limits of my soldering ability! Should be some photos by end of the weekend of the latest signals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

kingswearbracket.jpg.ed08be0cd978cbe58d9f662ef730e98a.jpgkingswearhome.jpg.c812c2d0c6da32aeaa812b5e39ddac6a.jpgbaystarter.jpg.bf29878db3f8c2d28c1050ed9a7f89ef.jpgmainstarter.jpg.622f8e1e4a29f3e9269c7308101ca696.jpgIt's been a while but here we are with the signals for Kingswear in 7mm scale.

First of all the Bracket starter. There are a few points of interest:

1) The bracket was painted white rather than black up until about 1961 or whenever the station was re-signalled in the 60s

2) The centre arm is lower than usual on the post as per prototype.

Next is the 2nd Bay starter. This was a tubular post painted in aluminium paint and had the word "BAY" on the arm to avoid confusing any driver on the Loop

The first Bay starter had a route indicator and was of tubular design by 1959 and again in aluminium paint. By process of elimination I have gone for the routes of Bay and Loop rather than the Turntable and Yard as they had their own ground signals.

The starter for the Main platform was still a square post job in 1959 and probably remained so until the end

Finally for now is the Home signal, which at this time (1959) was still a square post signal with route indicator.

All the signals have smd leds fitted including the route indicators. The brief was for the route indicators to be dummy but I couldn't resist including the option to make them work, all that would be needed is the extra servo motors.

The Bay lettering was cobbled from an old Woodhead Transfer sheet from the word Hybar. The transfers are of course past their best and had to be re-juvenated.

I have more photos of other signals to add  shortly.

baystarter1.jpg

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 4

GWRbrad1.jpg.9e4581c18521995b46f66d3f49df7a9c.jpgbrad2.jpg.13a56e26c23d0e07379d4e1e0c4d4839.jpgJust 2 more photos for now, 2 7mm GWR signals, which are somewhat different to the run of the mill. Not sure on locations though. Again smd leds with servo operation, Megapoints control board

Finally for now 2 LSWR signals

Now the next lot will be GWR in 4mm scale, probably followed by some in 2mm scale, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 4

Good Morning,

I was thinking of putting a few words down about the route indicators but it'll have to wait until/if I can find a sheet of the special stuff I used to print them on, as I can't remember the name of it at the moment. It is self-adhesive and slightly opaque (a bit like frosted glass). Strictly speaking it's meant for use in a Laser Printer but as I couldn't find a full sheet, I printed it on  an Inkjet Printer and waited for it to dry before fixing to some clear plastic sheet super-glued to an MSE indicator panel suitably cut down after which I applied some Matt Varnish to seal it.

Hopefully I'll find a few sheets of the stuff and update this in due course. Found 5 sheets. I think it was a Zweckform product ref 4777, no longer available in UK by looks of it. Technology has "improved" so that clear labels really are clear now. These have the advantage of not being totally clear and have a matt finish. You can get similar labels with a matt finish but they all seem to be of the really clear variety, which wasn't what I wanted.

Going back to that big bracket signal for Seaton Junction, big as in length of the bracket span, I found that I was needing to fabricate a similar bracket for another signal of differing arrangement (i.e. not for Seaton Junction) so have set to and the bracket parts for both are now nearing completion.

After that it'll be an interesting excursion into the land of gantries, slotted and somersault signals. I have done gantries and somersaults before so it's not a trip into in the unknown. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've recently been building a LSWR Bracket Signal in 2mm scale, which is powered by servo motors and a Megapoints Servo controller. The problem I encountered was that even after setting the signals, after completing the setting routine and powering off, on re-applying power, the servos twitched quite violently, which, whilst not a significant problem in the larger scales, this was enough to force me to have a re-think as things got a bit bent.

On the MERG servo controller this problem is overcome by the use of pull-up resistors, so I thought I'd try that. I inserted a 10k resistor between the positive wire(red) and signal wire (yellow) on each servo - result! No twitch on re-applying power! I can now complete the repairs to the signal, which got a bit bent (thankfully it wasn't too difficult to straigthen out). Thought that might be of interest.

I would imagine there's a lot of mechanical reduction required in 2mm scale within the linkages. This may help absorb any twitching.

Anyway, 2mm scale LSW bracket? Piccies please!!

JF

Sadly no picture, I was running a bit behind schedule so no time - already on way to customer. Actually not a lot, well not enough anyway, play in the linkages, to absorb the twitching (Lattice posts in 2mm scale are quite delicate and easily bent). Adding the resistors was easy enough though. Of course I tested another servo first to make sure it would remove the twitch. Generally I only manage to take some photos when it's something really interesting and I have the time to do it. I have mentioned the fix to Dave so maybe the next version will incorporate the resistors. Trouble is, some servos, I believe need a pull-down resistor -

The MERG board copes with those too - I have mine configured for pull-up and to switch off the pulse at the end of travel - so should be twitch free in all eventualties.

The said package has arrived from PPD and whilst I am very pleased with the result - I now have the wherewithall to produce hollow  20ft square tapered signal posts in brass for 7mm scale, a couple of things are clear to me now:

1) I think I could have squeezed in another post or two but considering this to be a first stab at the thing I am well chuffed.

2) Andy Copp was clearly not charging a cost covering price for his posts.

I shall have to get designing other items now I've got the bug!

• Like 1

I'm sure one or two people on here would be willing to share the costs with you (cough cough!) Cad is definitely on my to-do list, which program did you use?

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

Hi,

I am of course open to offers :onthequiet:. I'll PM you on that.

I used DoubleCad XT5 - it's free! The main problem was finding a file format that PPD could use. As the program offers a fair selection it took a bit of trial and error to find that DXF 2007 - 2009 was the first one that worked for me.

I've now put one together, not too difficult at all, I opted to not include any sort of tab and slot for location as I found the others a bit of a pain to deal with.

Photo later today.

gcrgan1.jpg.9031ba0d4155e20466bb6b78e32983ff.jpggcrgan2.jpg.4e211e2953c0eb47e28530aea337df22.jpgHi,

I'm off to spend a little time Templotting and then its ex GNR and ex NER signals in 4mm scale for a while. But here are two photos with an ex-GCR flavour.

Handrails will need straightening a little (think I bent them whilst moving the thing for the photos - easily sorted though). Customer didn't want a fully working one so gubbins only down to the cranks in superstructure since if he did decide to change his mind, they would be tricky to add on without removing the planking.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I am still busy with slotted and somersaults at the moment but the end is sight, should be some more on that next week.

The artwork for the 7mm scale 30ft posts is now ready (I hope) and will be with PPD soonish. Next up on that front will be something along similar lines for 4mm scale, though I have no immediate need, I am running out of the Lochgorm ones so.... plus there is a LSWR bracket, which could be doing with being including as well.

By way of light relief? I have been doing some completely different. Having satisified myself that it is not feasible to fit an 0402 smd led into a Modelu 2mm scale GWR signal lamp, I have been investigating an alternative. It would appear that one of these little blighters, with wiring and superglue insulation will just fit in a 1.4mm OD 1.2mm brass tube (Albion Alloys).

Another project that I have on the go, well nearly on the go, is for an ex-GER bracket signal in 4mm scale. They used a design of bracket identical to that of the HR (same signalling contractor(McKenzie and Holland not Saxby & Farmer, always get the two mixed up), which differs slightly from those found on the Southern examples (SECR or LBSCR not sure which without looking it up). MSE's etch is currently not available, so it was more by luck that I chanced upon Mark Tatlow's Highland Miscellany website   . Bingo! This certainly looks the business.

I'll post some pics in due course, when the etch arrives!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Photo as promised - I've just perched a Modelu finial on top to give an indication of size.

attachicon.gifIMG_0862.jpg

4 July 2017 Royal Mail Guaranteed delivery wasn't delivered and the package is still stuck in their system, somewhere in Scotland in think. Still PPD should get a refund from them but is there anything in it for me as I am the effective payer for the service I ask myself?

5 July 2017 -  etches now arrived -  mistyped label was the cause of the delay - wrong postcode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

scrogginsger.jpg.13740917edd06cb2438af32fbc9e90e1.jpgHere are some LNER signals I've just finished in 4mm scale. The bracket signal is of ex-GER design and uses the etches from Mark Tatlow shown above. No working lights required on these and they will be operated by servos using GF Control boards.

I have something more modern to show you in a moment.

• Like 4

peak5.png.e32d465a68638320a4bc579718fee547.pngpeak6.png.229dd9433d869af8eca7b67d76d04337.pngpeak4.png.34b10b692374b6ddfc71ac2514affdf6.pngpeak2.png.8914fa96753a6b66c1b6d5effd05759e.pngSome more 4mm scale signals, sporting their (in my opinon) "over-the-top"  H&S extra safety hoops and railings

This first one should have a fixed distant, so that'll be altered shortly

There actually 2 of these

This one is unusual in one respect namely the rule 55 diamond on the doll does not have a black band above and below, perhaps they hadn't got around to painting it when the original prototype photo was taken as the main post doesn't have a black band either.

This one had me puzzled for a while, I could see it had a main tubular stem but something looked a bit odd. Finally 'sussed it out when I found a good photo showing the extra post and yes BR, Network Rail of whatever had used it to carry some cabling, very handy that!

Finally in this batch a welded stem bracket, the distant is fixed

All the signals have smd leds fitted, Unfortunately using a psu for them is not convenient at camera location. Operation by servos - MERG Servo4 with my version of SEMA4.

Now I just have to see if I can get a decent shot of this 2mm signal, focussing is proving problematic.

post-6948-0-48295600-1499869931.png

peak1.png

peak3.png

• Like 3