247 Developments new wagon kits Jan 2024

247 Developments

I believe many of the LNWR carriage diagrams available from 247 are available as kits from Stevenson Carriages.

There were several different suppliers of LNWR carriage kits and etched sides the 70's and 80's, mainly including Dave Gillott, Brian Badger, Ralph Jackson and Modellers World.

Some of the 247 range is duplicated in Stevensons LNWR range but not all most notably the 12 wheel dining car (thankfully I have one).  There was talk of the range moving to Stevensons but I understand the original owners want far too much for the rights which the previous owner of 247 never acquired.

• 5 weeks later...

We are looking at stocking the cast coach parts but not the coach etches

For me, a pretty important part of the range was the white-metal coach bogies, particularity the GW types and Fox bogies for LBSC, LSWR etc.

Are these in the offing?

• Like 1

I'm very pleased that the white metal detailing parts (including hopefully the coach bogies) will be coming back, but it's a great shame that the etched coach sides will remain unavailable.

Drduncan

Yes, I failed to get the GW TPO sides before it was too late! 

And, of course, I failed to buy enough bogies!   Good old fashioned white-metal bogies are hard to come by.  Westward is long gone and Dart/MJT have a very limited range as most of theirs are cosmetic sides for faffy brass etches.  ABS has gone by the board due to ill health (though I confess I thought it had stopped producing years ago, as I never seemed to find it), and, so, I suggest there is a real gap in the market.

It will be a while yet before a decent selection of bogies is available as 3D prints, and given Shapeways prices, I'd say that the traditional white-metal bogie is still a very viable option and useful thing to have available.  

The 8' Fox ones served a number of companies and I feel the lack of them exceedingly.  

Let's see what turns up at Scaleforum, shall we....?

We won't be attending 'Scaleforum',are we are dependent upon the interweb, so ABS does not presently seem likely to be a supplier available to us!

We shall see, however! 

Edited by Edwardian

I'm very pleased that the white metal detailing parts (including hopefully the coach bogies) will be coming back, but it's a great shame that the etched coach sides will remain unavailable.

Drduncan

still ongoing I will post here once we have some in stock

Will you be taking on commissions/expanding the range of 4mm smokebox numberplates please?

Porcy

in one word YES

247 Developments will for the P4 show at Stoke Mandeville Stadium Aylesbury

selling 3d Printed Bodys for the Metropoliton Railway 4 wheel full brake

here's how there come

29438299382_d462b33702_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134804 by brian mosby, on Flickr

29257809140_3c340f01d9_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134735 by brian mosby, on Flickr

I have started to finish one to display on the stand

29257825370_2ea543e88f_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134721 by brian mosby, on Flickr

29438311392_ae7a4c51d8_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134754 by brian mosby, on Flickr

there will be a brass chassis for it but there is no release date for it yet

still working out price for the body but it looks like it will be around £22

• Like 7

247 Developments will for the P4 show at Stoke Mandeville Stadium Aylesbury

selling 3d Printed Bodys for the Metropoliton Railway 4 wheel full brake

here's how there come

29438299382_d462b33702_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134804 by brian mosby, on Flickr

29257809140_3c340f01d9_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134735 by brian mosby, on Flickr

I have started to finish one to display on the stand

29257825370_2ea543e88f_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134721 by brian mosby, on Flickr

29438311392_ae7a4c51d8_k.jpgIMG_20160908_134754 by brian mosby, on Flickr

there will be a brass chassis for it but there is no release date for it yet

still working out price for the body but it looks like it will be around £22

Speaking for myself, and I hope I am not alone, the 'good news' surrounding 247's continuation is the expectation that the old range is made available once more. 

Clearly this will not include the coach etches, but it is very much to be hoped that it will include items such as the white-metal bogies.

With the ability of many modellers to produce rolling stock by sending CAD files off to Shapeways or wherever, or cutting sides from a Silhouette, many are no longer limited to the etched brass kit market.  What, I think, is harder to come by are certain accessories. 

Coaches need bogies or axle-box/spring assemblies, roof fittings, buffers, handles and grab rails etc. Not all of these are so easy to produce in numbers at the work-bench.  Production of 3D printed coach bodies in the 247 catalogue merely increases this need. 

Recently I have struggled to find suitable accessories for GE and LSW coaches, for instance. I hope to master Silhouette cutting, if so, the more expensive options of etched brass and 3D print will become less relevant to me as aids to coach construction, but I would still have a need, in fact a greater need, for the sorts of accessories mentioned.

I would hope, therefore, that a priority of 247 would be to re-introduce, indeed, expand, the accessories range.  With other ranges extinct or at least hard to come by, these days we are pretty much left with MJT.  MJT accessories are good, but the range does not cover enough ground.

There are few pre-Grouping bogie designs that would not interest me.  The Fox 8' is particularly useful, as it rapidly became standard on LSWR, LBSC and SE&CR.   A full range of GW bogies would, I am sure, be welcomed.  NE, GNR and GCR too.   

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, and I hope I am not alone, the 'good news' surrounding 247's continuation is the expectation that the old range is made available once more. 

Clearly this will not include the coach etches, but it is very much to be hoped that it will include items such as the white-metal bogies.

With the ability of many modellers to produce rolling stock by sending CAD files off to Shapeways or wherever, or cutting sides from a Silhouette, many are no longer limited to the etched brass kit market.  What, I think, is harder to come by are certain accessories. 

Coaches need bogies or axle-box/spring assemblies, roof fittings, buffers, handles and grab rails etc. Not all of these are so easy to produce in numbers at the work-bench.  Production of 3D printed coach bodies in the 247 catalogue merely increases this need. 

Recently I have struggled to find suitable accessories for GE and LSW coaches, for instance. I hope to master Silhouette cutting, if so, the more expensive options of etched brass and 3D print will become less relevant to me as aids to coach construction, but I would still have a need, in fact a greater need, for the sorts of accessories mentioned.

I would hope, therefore, that a priority of 247 would be to re-introduce, indeed, expand, the accessories range.  With other ranges extinct or at least hard to come by, these days we are pretty much left with MJT.  MJT accessories are good, but the range does not cover enough ground.

There are few pre-Grouping bogie designs that would not interest me.  The Fox 8' is particularly useful, as it rapidly became standard on LSWR, LBSC and SE&CR.   A full range of GW bogies would, I am sure, be welcomed.  NE, GNR and GCR too.   

We have lost too much already that was of use in the kit and accessory market.  It would be good to start with getting these whitemetal bogies back.  I don't know what else 247D did, but I add my vote to more accessories, bogies, axlebox-W-irons for 4 and 6 will stock, vents, gas lamps and so forth.  There is not enough of this stuff around any more and we can't afford to lose another range!

The old  247 site isn't accessible and the new one doesn't appear to include any carriage information. Perhaps it was all deleted when the etched parts became unavailable. The site doesn't show the new 3D coach body above, so perhaps a direct email to Brian will get the up to date picture.

Brian will be able to comment on re-introduction of the cast items but if he took over the moulds (and moulding machine, etc.) then it would be very straightforward.

Other suppliers do the Fox bogies AFAIK - Mailcoach AKA as Coopercraft, MJT (etched brass bogie frame and cast w/m sides) and possibly others suppliers- but I don't know about the other types.

The old  247 site isn't accessible and the new one doesn't appear to include any carriage information. Perhaps it was all deleted when the etched parts became unavailable. The site doesn't show the new 3D coach body above, so perhaps a direct email to Brian will get the up to date picture.

Brian will be able to comment on re-introduction of the cast items but if he took over the moulds (and moulding machine, etc.) then it would be very straightforward.

Other suppliers do the Fox bogies AFAIK - Mailcoach AKA as Coopercraft, MJT (etched brass bogie frame and cast w/m sides) and possibly others suppliers- but I don't know about the other types.

Thanks.  I wanted to avoid the etched brass frame route; it's over-engineered for my purposes, more expensive and a faff; the 247 ones suited me perfectly and I wish I'd stockpiled!

Mailcoach/Coopercraft, ahem, a bottomless pit into which many a good thing has disappeared, never to be seen again!!!! 

Pity, because I am happy with plastic and they did GW Americans too.  

As Mad Carew said, we have lost too many of these longstanding and useful ranges.  Please let us see 247's castings return.

• Like 1