Modelling SR EMUs in N - Best option?

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

It must be nostalgia for my childhood but I am seriously thinking about a 3rd rail late 60s/early 70s project. Would love to do it in 4mm, in view of some great new models available, but really not the space. Looking at a "Rule 1" scheme based on Bournemouth West.

So in N, what is my best option. I like the look of the BH Enterprises kits but can't see myself painting blue/grey livery. So should I start from RTR coaches and use Electra printed sides? Or a combination of the two?

Grateful for any advice and, if possible, some photos of finished models.

• RMweb Gold

Grahame of this parish and NG society magazine is your man for this question.

Plenty of experience of options

Thanks.

I should rejoin NGS anyway as they are producing several models of interest to me. Rule 1 might see Motorail trains going to BW rather than Brockenhurst.

• RMweb Premium

It must be nostalgia for my childhood but I am seriously thinking about a 3rd rail late 60s/early 70s project. Would love to do it in 4mm, in view of some great new models available, but really not the space. Looking at a "Rule 1" scheme based on Bournemouth West.

So in N, what is my best option. I like the look of the BH Enterprises kits but can't see myself painting blue/grey livery. So should I start from RTR coaches and use Electra printed sides? Or a combination of the two?

Grateful for any advice and, if possible, some photos of finished models.

Worsley Works if you can solder although they are scratch aids not full kits  

Nick

• RMweb Gold

In late 60s would the MUs be B/G or all over blue?

BHE, Worsley Works and TPM are your best starting points.  I don't know what stock Bernard at TPM has left but his EMU conversion kits for the old Farish Mk1s with inlay windows are possibly you're easiest starting point.

Cheers, Mike

In late 60s would the MUs be B/G or all over blue?

Both. And in MLI #220 is a mid 60s pic of green (all three end options), all blue and blue/grey SR EMUs at Stewart's Lane depot.

G.

Archived